The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Rats Victorious Over Admirals In Return Home

Defenseman Brett Carson scored the winning goal withi 9:46 left in the third period to lift the River Rats past Norfolk at the former Knickerbocker Arena.

Goaltender Daniel Manzato made 31 saves -- and lost half of a front tooth -- as Albany won its first home game since surviving an early-morning bus crash on Feb. 19 in western Massachusetts.

Defenseman Bryan Rodney had a goal and two assists, Jakub Petruzalek had a goal and assist, and Mike Angelidis also scored for the Rats, who snapped a two-game losing streak. It was their fourth game in five days following their return to the ice after the crash.

A crowd of 4,059 was on hand to watch Albany, which in a pregame ceremony honored members of the emergency personnel that tended to them following the accident, where the team bus lost control, struck a guardrail and toppled onto its left side. Four players and radio color analyst John Hennessy were hospitalized.

Hennessy worked his first game since Feb. 18 in Lowell, and was honored during the third period as the Rats "player of the game." He was joined on the broadcast by injured defenseman Casey Borer, who wore a blue "Lee F.D." baseball cap in honor of the Lee (Mass.) Fire Department.

Norfolk 0 0 2

Thanks Max. If I lived in or around Albany, I would have been there tonight. Sure seems like it would have been the right thing to do. Your updates are appreciated.

As I was reading your post, it appears that there is a little Koharski in the AHL ref business. Is this a relative of Don?

Oh one more than as well. Was very classy of Wade Brookbank tonight as well. He was in the starting lineup tonight for Norfolk. And as the teams were lineing up for the opening face off he was going around to are staring lineup and talking and joking with them and giving all of them taps on the legs and butts. Very classy of Wade.

Thanks Max. If I lived in or around Albany, I would have been there tonight. Sure seems like it would have been the right thing to do. Your updates are appreciated.

As I was reading your post, it appears that there is a little Koharski in the AHL ref business. Is this a relative of Don?

There are two Koharski's in the AHL. And yes all three of them are related. If I am not mistaken the two down here in the AHL are unlce and nephew. This one was the nephew. I know alot of you guys would have shown up if you guys were closer. And yes getting support tonight would have been the right thing to do.

My dad and me were there to show our support for the rats. I agree with Max saying that the arena was only like half full. I thought the place was going to be packed (it doesn't help that the team doesn't promote alot). It was nice seeing all the workers come out and get an ovation. and Henny too (was that Borer sitting next to Henny when they showed him?). the game was good, first period we dominated but then Norfolk got into their game. It was nice seeing Sutter back in a rats uniform but would rather him in a canes. i saw Wade joking around with the guys, he was sweet as always. all around it was a great welcome back for our rats but far too few fans.

My dad and me were there to show our support for the rats. I agree with Max saying that the arena was only like half full. I thought the place was going to be packed (it doesn't help that the team doesn't promote alot). It was nice seeing all the workers come out and get an ovation. and Henny too (was that Borer sitting next to Henny when they showed him?). the game was good, first period we dominated but then Norfolk got into their game. It was nice seeing Sutter back in a rats uniform but would rather him in a canes. i saw Wade joking around with the guys, he was sweet as always. all around it was a great welcome back for our rats but far too few fans.
Yes that was Casey up there sitting next to Henny.