The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Drops Rats 4-1

The River Rats modest two-game win streak came to an end tonight at the hands of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, who built a 3-0 lead en route to a 4-1 victory at the former Knickerbocker Arena.

Janne Pesonen had a goal and two assists and Dustin Jeffrey scored two goals to lead the Pens (41-21-2-2), who outshot Albany 40-21, including 15-2 in the first period.

Jerome Samson had the lone goal for the Rats (29-29-3-3), who had been 2-3 against Wilkes-Barre this season, both wins coming on home ice.

Albany fell 16 points behind Binghamton in the East Division standings with the loss. The Senators defeated Norfolk tonight, 6-2.

The Rats are in action again tomorrow, hosting Philadelphia.

WB/Scranton 1 2 1

I agree with Max. Peters was the only guy playing out there. Three of the four goals were not his fault. Defense was horrible and offense was non-existant. You could have put us both on the ice and not had a worse showing. It was so bad that I put the camera down in the third period. I never put the camera down...lol EXTREMELY disappointed in the team tonight.

Rats-Penguins postgame

By Phil Janack

Friday, March 13, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even the River Rats home mojo against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was enough to tip the scale in their favor tonight.

The Penguins jumped on Albany early, holding the Rats without a shot for 8 1/2 minutes and limiting them to just two in the first period, a season low. Though WBS only led 1-0, and that on a defensive breakdown in deep, the tone was set.

"They came at us pretty hard, and we didn't have an answer for them early," coach Jeff Daniels said. "They had a lot of zone time, but we had a breakdown on their goal or we get out of the period, 0-0. That gives them life, but they were definitely the better team. We needed a better effort than we gave tonight."

It proved to be a costly loss for Albany (29-29-3-3), which fell 16 points behind Binghamton for the East Division's fourth and final playoff spot with 16 games remaining. The Senators beat Norfolk tonight, 6-2.

"We're trying to make the playoffs, and the intensity wasn't there tonight," said alternate captain Mike Angelidis, who had both of Albany's first-period shots and none thereafter. "I don't think we answered the bell very well."

Jerome Samson accounted for the Rats' offense, cutting to the net from the left corner and stuffing in a shot for his 18th goal of the season with 5:31 left in the second period. Albany appeared to get some life after that, and had defenseman Bryan Rodney's shot ring off the inside of the right post early in the third period, but were unable to come back.

"We had spurts where we were OK, but the bottom line is, we needed to compete for 60 minutes against that team to have a chance," Daniels said. "We didn't do that."

Banged up late in Wednesday's win over Norfolk, forward Ryan Weston did not play tonight. Captain Pat Dwyer took his spot on a line with Aaron Clarke and Angelidis.

Bobby Hughes returned to the lineup, centering a fourth line with Brad Herauf and Patrick Bordeleau. It was only Hughes' 12th came of the year and first since the team bus crash Feb. 19.

"He was OK," Daniels said of Hughes. "His conditioning wasn't very good, but he was OK."

Tomas Pospisil made his Rats debut on a line with Czech countryman Jakub Petruzalek and Harrison Reed. Pospisil had two shots and two penalty minutes.

Daniels expects to juggle his lines for Saturday's game with Philadelphia (5 p.m. start). Weston remains a question mark.

"We're obviously missing some players that can help our lines," Daniels said. "We've got to do the best we can with what we have. I'll make some line changes for tomorrow, not necessarily with anyone coming into the lineup because we don't have any extra bodies right now. I'm just trying to find some chemistry with some guys."

Albany had been 2-3 against Wilkes-Barre this season, with both its wins coming on home ice: 3-2 on Jan. 2 and 5-3 on Jan. 17.

Aside from a 7-3 blowout in the teams' first meeting this season back on Dec. 6, the games had been close. Wilkes-Barre won 4-3 on Dec. 20 and again on Feb. 27 in PA.

"That was something we discussed," Pens coach and ex-Rats defenseman Todd Reirden said. "It's a team we've struggled with all year. They do a good job of keeping everything to the perimeter and it was something where we wanted to try to generate more offense against them in tough areas. If you look at our goals, they were all right around the net, all second chances, battling for pucks. That's been our M.O. when we've had success."

Tonight's first period was exactly what Reirden had wanted to see from his club.

"This is a building we've had a tough time in this year," he said, "so we wanted to have a good start right from the beginning. We got things going right away with lots of chances around the net, and tried to dictate the play and put them on their heels, which is something you always try to do as the visiting team."

Veteran NHL forward Miroslav Satan made the trip to Albany, but has yet to suit up for Wilkes-Barre since reporting to the team on Thursday. He practiced with the Pens yesterday and again in today's morning skate.

"He's come with a great work ethic and attitude," Reirden said. "He's been great around our guys. He's had some long skating sessions with me already and the younger guys have come out and watched him and were like, 'Whoa. He's working at it.' It's a credit to him. It's obviously not an easy situation. We look forward to having him in our lineup here pretty soon."

Satan, 34, cleared waivers and was assigned to Wilkes-Barre, where his $3.5 million salary doesn't count against the NHL salary cap. The cap doesn't come into play during the postseason, so it's possible that Satan could be on the farm until then, and then be recalled.

"He hadn't been on the ice in seven, eight days, so we're getting him back into shape, conditioning-wise, getting him used to playing again," Reirden said. "When he's ready to get back out there, it gives not only our team the chance to have success but also gives him the best chance to succeed, which is what we really want to do for him. We'll put him in a situation to play a major role on our team. We're excited to have him."

Reirden played two games for the 1994-95 River Rats, picking up an assist in his first pro season out of Bowling Green. He went on to play 183 NHL games for St. Louis, Atlanta and Phoenix before retiring in 2007.

"It was the team that gave me my first chance, my first opportunity to play in this league," Reirden said. "I certainly won't forget this building. It's always on my mind coming back here, though it was just a short time."

Albany won the Calder Cup that season while its then-NHL partner, the New Jersey Devils, captured the Stanley Cup.

"They expected to win," Reirden said. "That was something that was instilled in me early on. When you play, expect to win and play with pride and respect for the organization that's giving you the opportunity. It's something that's always filtered down."

Dwyer saw his two-game goal streak come to an end (4g, 0a) .... Defenseman Brett Carson was held without a point for the first time in six games (1g, 6a), but Yannick Tifu had the primary assist on Samson's goal to extend his point streak to four games (1g, 4a) .... Ex-Rat Chris Minard was held scoreless on four shots for Wilkes-Barre. Minard's 31 goals leads the Pens and equals the franchise single-season record ..... The game's three stars were: 1. Janne Pesonen, WBS (1g, 2a); 2. Samson; 3. Dustin Jeffrey, WBS (2g, 0a) ..... Wilkes-Barre left immediately after the game for Hershey, where it plays tomorrow. The Pens are returning to Albany after that game to spend their off day here on Sunday.

I have to disagree with Coach Daniels. I don't think they were "ok" at any point. The whole game stunk from the defense/offense to the officiating. Here's hoping the team can shove it out of their heads and come out for blood tonight. Peters was getting visibly ticked last night. If we don't have a player willing to step up and start something to get the team fired up, I think he might (my own opinion). He looked like he wanted to hit something last night

I have to disagree with Coach Daniels. I don't think they were "ok" at any point. The whole game stunk from the defense/offense to the officiating. Here's hoping the team can shove it out of their heads and come out for blood tonight. Peters was getting visibly ticked last night. If we don't have a player willing to step up and start something to get the team fired up, I think he might (my own opinion). He looked like he wanted to hit something last night
The only one I think is visible in firing up this team is Trevor Gillies. When was it if you remember back in like November or December he had a fight during a game when the team was playing horrible and after the fight and he got off the ice he got up and started screaming at the bench. And from that point on for like 2 straight weeks we played some of the best hockey of the season. I think he is a bigger lose for this team than alot of people think. He is a hugh part of this team.