The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
golfpro827

Superskills Competition

Yea I agree on the 2 on 1 thing...they used to have that. Overall though I thought that it was pretty boring...could tell some players care less, a few seem to like it. Barely saw Staal at all...he went for a pretty move at least. Chara's record blast was the highlight of the night, and the thing that I looked most forward to. He definitely delivered.

I'm sure the game tomorrow will be blah as well...but maybe Staal can spice things up. I think he enjoys it...one of the few that smiles and seems to have fun. Also, I think that he likes to prove himself against the Ovechkins, Malkins, and Crosbys (who isn't there of course)...idk why but I just get the feeling from watching Staal that he wants to make sure to perform well...where as a lot of players just don't seem to care.

I remember enjoying last year's festivities. Tonight was AWFUL. Few guys seemed interested and the Versus coverage was atrocious, I can't count how many times they missed something because they had cameras elsewhere. Did they do the 3 vs. goalie free pass and shot thing? Admittedly, I tuned out.

They need an obstacle course with cones, a dummy (or just Danny Briere) to put a hit on, a board pass to yourself, and then a bullseye target thing to hit on a shot. Combine time and accuracy for a score at the end. Perhaps make it a team event somehow as well.

My comments..

- Highlight had to be Chara setting the all time Hardest Shot Record at 105.4

- I thought Getzlav's around the net goal was by far the "sickest" goal in the competition - however, Ovechkins was just purely entertaining

- The Stamkos goal in the Rookies / Sophmores game was SICK (he had a shot in front - passed to a guy beside the net completely drawing the goalie over there and then he passed right back to Stamkos for an easy tap in)

- The shootout elimination isn't that novel of an idea as we see shootouts all the time now

Overall, pretty entertaining stuff - I would like see some sort of passing competition and also maybe some 2 on 1 games (that way some of those defensmen can showcase some skills) instead of just breakaways

I completely agree about Getzlav's goal, that one left my jaw hangin a little. I think the best part about AO's "trick" was the fact that he got Malkin to dress him. Talk about irony.

Kinda like an auto accident...you just have to look.

Coverage was terrible..missed a bunch of stuff cause cameras were elsewhere. A few players stock went up cause they looked to be having fum. OV was classic..two sticks - R U kidding me. Cool that players gave stuff to fans! That is great PR. The freshmen / sophomore game was fun - even though they were only skating at about 65-75%. BUT - it is just for fun. Looking forward to the game tonight.

My comments..

- Highlight had to be Chara setting the all time Hardest Shot Record at 105.4

- I thought Getzlav's around the net goal was by far the "sickest" goal in the competition - however, Ovechkins was just purely entertaining

- The Stamkos goal in the Rookies / Sophmores game was SICK (he had a shot in front - passed to a guy beside the net completely drawing the goalie over there and then he passed right back to Stamkos for an easy tap in)

- The shootout elimination isn't that novel of an idea as we see shootouts all the time now

Overall, pretty entertaining stuff - I would like see some sort of passing competition and also maybe some 2 on 1 games (that way some of those defensmen can showcase some skills) instead of just breakaways

It was frustrating that they missed a lot of goals in the rookie game, but it was running time with no stoppages, so they would show a replay of a goal and someone else would score 2 seconds later. It almost seemed like Versus was piggybacking and not in control of the cameras because they would switch to a shot of a guy on the bench while something else was going on.. again it was worse during the rookie game for the reasons of no time stoppages. The stuff seemed to be set up for the crowd in person and not TV which is fine with me.. how boring would it be to have a 5 minute wait between shots while they showed 400 replays on TV?

The getzlaf goal was pretty amazing, as was the one by Martin St Louis, who scooped it up and kept it on his stick and snapped it in over the goalies shoulder. The Oveckhin thing was funny, but he missed the shot and had to hit it in on the rebound (which on a breakaway would count, but not a shootout.. so does it count?) I voted for St Louis's goal.

Marc Savards commentary during the shootout challenge was really cool and gave an insight into player/player relationships as well as player/goalie relationships. Its nice to see guys from opposing teams joking and laughing like the friends we know they are off the ice.

The Stampkos goal left my jaw on the floor, fake shot, between the legs pass to behind the net and then immediate tap pass back to Stampkos for the empty netter.. felt bad for Price but there wasnt anything he could do... the Nashville goalie for the rookie team was awesome. No wonder he has 4 shutouts.

How bout Marc Staal with 2 goals, and the 1 hit in the game? Pretty good show for a stay at home defensemen. Maybe he shoulda been a forward? He has that Staal talent.

I admit.. nothing really blew me away, but it was entertaining.

I thought the Ovechkin thing was pretty stupid. As much talent as he could have brought to the contest, instead, he is acting like a Terrel Owens or Chad Johnson, playing around with props... playing the role of a clown. Not funny, just annoying - must be a European thing.

It is rediculous that he won that contest, and even more rediculous that the Canadien was second... considering how amazing St. Louis, Stamkos, and Getzlav were. I am confused on what the vote was for: best overall performance in the contest or best single goal of the contest. There is no doubt in my opinion that St. Louis was the most entertaining. And the Getzlav goal was the best. But of course, this whole event is nothing more of a popularity contest. I'm just surprised that they didn't announce that Cindy Crosby was the winner.

I think it was entertaining for the most part, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if there were more elaberate competitions, as mentioned in previous posts in this thread. Also, there should have been more players competing in the events... instead of just 5 or so, they should have divided them up so that eveyone had at least 2 contests. It was disapointing to wait throughout the whole competition to see my rep (Staal) participate for an entire 10 second shootout attempt... something I can see in any given game-night.

The whole shootout thing at the end was very anticlimactic.

am i the only one that actually enjoys watching these players showcase their skill like this??

i honestly don't care who wins or what the people talk about while commentating, i just love watching these guys like Cogliano, Chara, Kovalev, St. Louis, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Savard, Thomas, etc. strut their stuff and do what they do best. the coverage is not gonna be perfect, there's so much going on, you're guarenteed to miss some stuff. the trick shot thing, whatever it's called, was much improved from last year, the guys actually knew what they were expected to do and i was impressed by alot of the moves.

Also,they didn't have non-hockey judges judging this time :P I thought Kovalev (I think that was the Hab) was pretty good. He and St. Louis were good IMO. Also, the whole Marc Savard segment was pretty cool. Could be a fan favourite among fans just for that, kinda like getting to know a player... make sense?

The All Star weekend is supposed to be fun. I mean, hockey is a GAME, afterall. Who cares if a guy puts a hat and sunglasses on in a competition that is completely meaningless and only intended for entertainment's sake? And of all the things he could possibly do, it was hardly offensive.

The Oveckhin thing was funny, but he missed the shot and had to hit it in on the rebound (which on a breakaway would count, but not a shootout.. so does it count?

i just noticed Ovie's a right handed shot and he used Malkin's stick which was left handed, so give him a break! haha

The All Star weekend is supposed to be fun. I mean, hockey is a GAME, afterall. Who cares if a guy puts a hat and sunglasses on in a competition that is completely meaningless and only intended for entertainment's sake? And of all the things he could possibly do, it was hardly offensive.

yeah i must say - it got me a little more into it --- bc i was not expecting that lol

10zwhep.jpg

i just noticed Ovie's a right handed shot and he used Malkin's stick which was left handed, so give him a break! haha

Yeah i noticed that on a replay, I wondered why he completely fanned on the first shot and knocked in the rebound. Makes it a little more impressive, and I thought it was pretty funny overall.

I'd like to see a hardest hit competition. They could rig a dummy with sensors and what not to determine who has the hardest hit.

I also like the 2 on 1 competition.

The time taken between announcing Vinny L. was just stupid...lets try to show him how much we'll cheer him if he comes to Montreal!...yeah I know he from that area. Not even their own players got that.

I'd like to see a hardest hit competition. They could rig a dummy with sensors and what not to determine who has the hardest hit.

I also like the 2 on 1 competition.

The time taken between announcing Vinny L. was just stupid...lets try to show him how much we'll cheer him if he comes to Montreal!...yeah I know he from that area. Not even their own players got that.

but just imagine the headlines.. "Chara seperates shoulder hitting dummy in contest" :blink:

I noticed that too, but apparently the announcers didn't. That right there is impressive! They seemed more keen on talking about the Ovechkin/Malkin rivalry, and how this proves that they're really friends or something, like anyone really cares.

Although a few guys pulled off some great moves--Getzlaf, Stamkos, Kovalev--I've seen 14 year olds at stick and puck do those same tricks a lot more smoothly than the pros, like the old between the legs, spin-o-rama, lacrosse shot or the behind-the-back shot. I expected these guys to nail those moves, but most of the time they were really sloppy.

I've seen 14 year olds at stick and puck do those same tricks a lot more smoothly than the pros, like the old between the legs, spin-o-rama, lacrosse shot or the behind-the-back shot. I expected these guys to nail those moves, but most of the time they were really sloppy.

True, but would you rather have Staal practicing his behind the back shots or his faceoffs?

Like the above poster said they dont practice those moves anymore, if they did they would nail em easily. 14 year olds have nothing better to do but try to find a shot to attract a girl.