The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Glens Falls Lands AHL Team

GLENS FALLS - The agreement setting the terms for the Phantoms hockey team to play at the Glens Falls Civic Center is signed.

"This is a big step," said team co-owner Rob Brooks, just after he and Glens Falls Mayor John "Jack" Diamond signed the agreement Wednesday evening.

The next step is to sell enough season tickets that the owners feel comfortable relocating the American Hockey League team to Glens Falls next season.

Originally, The Brooks Group said a commitment of 2,500 season tickets by the end of the month was necessary to seal the deal.

Earlier Wednesday, Brooks indicated he might be flexible about that minimum.

"If we don't hit that 2,500 then we have to really do some thinking about it. We have to see where we are and see where we need to be according to our pro forma," he said. "If it comes to a point where we see it's just too far of a difference, well then we'll probably have to pass. But if it's getting closer and we feel momentum, then we'll look at it really hard."

Brooks said his family will make a decision by Tuesday.

On Wednesday evening, Brooks said he was encouraged that the team received nearly 200 season-ticket commitments that day, bringing the total to about 1,200.

Diamond and Councilman-at-Large Dan Hall then bought two season tickets each, bringing the count a little higher.

The Common Council, by a 5-0 vote, approved a memorandum of understanding that will be the basis of a three-year lease at the city-owned arena, with an option for the team to continue the agreement for a fourth and fifth year.

"We're very excited tonight. This is another step in returning American League hockey," Diamond said.

The former Adirondack Red Wings of the AHL played 21 seasons at the Civic Center before leaving in 1999.

The Civic Center has been without a permanent professional hockey tenant since the Adirondack Frostbite, of the United Hockey League, ceased operations at the end of the 2005-06 season.

Hockey fans who attended a block party Wednesday in front of the Civic Center said it would be great to have a team back.

Chris Macfarran said he has been traveling to Albany the last few years to watch the River Rats play, but should be able to get used to rooting against the Albany team again.

"That's going to be difficult for a while," he said.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said a "Hudson River rivalry" between the Phantoms and River Rats will benefit the region.

"Glens Falls is probably, per capita, the best hockey location in America," said Schumer, who telephoned The Post-Star on Wednesday afternoon to reiterate his support for the local hockey effort.

Diamond has said the lease with the Phantoms would reduce the Civic Center operating deficit by about $200,000 a year.

The estimate includes revenues from rent, a ticket surcharge, advertising and food sales, but does not include naming rights.

The estimate is based on sales of 2,500 season tickets and an average of 1,000 individual tickets per game.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/04/2...al/14692948.txt

Will they still be affliated with the Flyers or will they pick a new contract?

*Never mind... it looks like they will still be with the Flyers and will be named the Adirondack Phantoms (according to the news stories)...

I can't believe the are leaving Philly... I know they are losing their arena but that just surprises me.

Will they still be affliated with the Flyers or will they pick a new contract?

*Never mind... it looks like they will still be with the Flyers and will be named the Adirondack Phantoms (according to the news stories)...

I can't believe the are leaving Philly... I know they are losing their arena but that just surprises me.

They need a place to play. And the Wacovia Center would be to much of a problem to have 2 teams in it.

A decade after going without an American Hockey League team, the city of Glens Falls is getting a second chance.

The former Philadelphia Phantoms franchise is moving its operations to the Civic Center, starting next season. It is a short-term deal, lasting only as long as it takes for new majority owners Rob and Jim Brooks to build a new arena in Pennsylvania.

Here is the official press release, which followed today's AHL Board of Governors meeting in Chicago:

AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE PHANTOMS TO RELOCATE TO CITY OF GLENS FALLS FOR 2009-10 SEASON

(Chicago, IL --- April 28, 2009) The Philadelphia Phantoms will relocate to the City of Glens Falls, NY, and begin play at the Glens Falls Civic Center for the 2009-10 season, it was announced today during the American Hockey League Board of Governors meetings. The Board of Governors also approved the sale of the Phantoms from Comcast-Spectacor, the Philadelphia-based sports and entertainment firm, to the Brooks Group of Pittsburgh, PA, owners and investors of other minor league hockey and baseball teams.

Thanks for the updates Max, and congrats to the folks in Glens Falls. As a Mohawk Valley/Utica Comets/Stars/Devils fan back in the day, I remember all too well the Adirondack Red Wings, they were always among the best. They have a great hockey tradition there for such a small area. A little disappointing to see that this may be temporary, but with the way teams move around in the AHL, hopefully they will re-prove the market and attract another team when the Phantoms leave.

Thanks for the updates Max, and congrats to the folks in Glens Falls. As a Mohawk Valley/Utica Comets/Stars/Devils fan back in the day, I remember all too well the Adirondack Red Wings, they were always among the best. They have a great hockey tradition there for such a small area. A little disappointing to see that this may be temporary, but with the way teams move around in the AHL, hopefully they will re-prove the market and attract another team when the Phantoms leave.
Not a problem. Us fans here in Albany are also very happy to have a team back in Glens Falls. For the longest times the Adirondack Albany rivaly was the best rivlary in the AHL. And I am not just saying that it was voted the best. And this for sure will help our attendance out. Like I said when they were in the league before it was normal when the played here in Albany it was normal to see 8 to 13,000 fans in our building. As of right now this is only temporary because the Brooks brother who bought the Phantoms wants to move them to Allentown PA. But as of right this second there is no arena there. They are trying to get one built. And from what I hear they may not build one there right now because of the ecnomy. Who knows if they do not build the arena maybe they will decied to stay in Glens Falls. And if they do build the arena and they do move as planed maybe this will help them land another AHL team. But I am just glad they are back in the league and can not wait for the rivalary to get started again.