The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
clementnorman

mike murphy

Just won OHL goalie of the year for the second straight season. Go look at his numbers...incredible.

Yea, we have Ward, but damn Murphy seems to be an awesome pick for us. What a future duo they could make. Our drafts are getting better and better.

Eh, I'm still not jumping the gun. I really have doubts that his style of play will translate well to the NHL. If it does, yeah, what a late round steal and we're set for a while, goaltending-wise.

Eh, I'm still not jumping the gun. I really have doubts that his style of play will translate well to the NHL. If it does, yeah, what a late round steal and we're set for a while, goaltending-wise.

Now see I've heard bad things about his style as well, yet really I've never gotten any info on what exactly it is that makes him so unique (or not good, whichever way you look at it). Enlighten me Frog on what the problem could be?

But remember, the NHL already has a goalie who's style shouldn't be successful, and he's about to win a Vezina trophy me thinks. Can't ever count out a player because it "seems" like his playing style isn't standard enough.

A considerable number of his awesome saves are from horrible rebounds he's let up. I just am not sold on him making the NHL unless he can develop some rebound control.

Fallen are you talking about Thomas? If you are a considerable amount of the last 10 years of Vezinas have been from non butterfly goalies.

Now see I've heard bad things about his style as well, yet really I've never gotten any info on what exactly it is that makes him so unique (or not good, whichever way you look at it). Enlighten me Frog on what the problem could be?

But remember, the NHL already has a goalie who's style shouldn't be successful, and he's about to win a Vezina trophy me thinks. Can't ever count out a player because it "seems" like his playing style isn't standard enough.

His style relies a lot on his ability to make those second saves and the defense's ability to clear out rebounds. And if it isn't obvious, OHL players aren't NHL players. Chances are, if you give them a second chance, they'll bury it most of the time.

It's not that his style is unique or impossible to work in the NHL (Since Thomas and Hasek have found a way for it to work). It's that that's all he's got going for him. He's too small to adjust to a butterfly or standup style of play. He's pretty much got to play the flopper style, because it's the best way for him to cover the net.

His style relies a lot on his ability to make those second saves and the defense's ability to clear out rebounds. And if it isn't obvious, OHL players aren't NHL players. Chances are, if you give them a second chance, they'll bury it most of the time.

It's not that his style is unique or impossible to work in the NHL (Since Thomas and Hasek have found a way for it to work). It's that that's all he's got going for him. He's too small to adjust to a butterfly or standup style of play. He's pretty much got to play the flopper style, because it's the best way for him to cover the net.

Too small to play standup? You can definitely be too small for butterfly but you'd have to be a dwarf to be too small for standup. Is his biography lying about his hight, listed at 5' 11", and he's really he like 4 feet tall? Irbe played standup style and the guy is generously listed as 5' 8". There is no way Murphy is too short for standup, might not be his style but hight isn't the reason.

A considerable number of his awesome saves are from horrible rebounds he's let up. I just am not sold on him making the NHL unless he can develop some rebound control.

Fallen are you talking about Thomas? If you are a considerable amount of the last 10 years of Vezinas have been from non butterfly goalies.

Good point lol.

Thanks for the clarification Legend and Frog. I figured maybe his thing was flopping...seems to be the "it" style today. But still, I'm just excited that we have a prospect doing so well...I mean historically when have we been able to say that? Also, it can't be hurting his confidence. Let's give 'em a chance up here when the time comes...who knows what'll happen.

I agree have to give the guy a chance before you start complaining about him. He has had great numbers in juniors. Now why I agree juniors are not the NHL or even AHL give the guy a chance before you start complaining about him. Right now he looks like is a steal. Lets hope he can bring that over as a pro. Implus we have a great goaltending coach in to work with him.

I could be more critical of him, but it's good to point out a few things the very best goalies of the past 10 years I only think 1 is butterfly. Roy....Murphy is a flopper....at the same time I have only seen one true 100% flopper ever dominate pun intended. Brody is Hybrid flopper/standup ... Richter was Standup..Beezer was standup... Hebert...stand up... man I could go on and on. Frigin goalies of today bore me... a standup can go on long long long strechs of great gameplay but a butterfly goalie always seems to have a strech of inconsistency every single season. Luongo, Turco, Ward... you name a butterfly goalie and they are either off or on.

I just think if he's going to make the jump and not be a Chechmanek or Storr and last in the NHL he needs to add some structure to his goaltending. Being a flopper also depends on the team your on, Storr was amazing in LA because they sucked and desperation goaltending is what they needed. He came here and we dont need desperate goaltending we needed a structured goalie.

However they told Roy he needed a pillow for his knee's in the 80's because he went down to much and Hasek needed to stop flopping. So what does anyone really know anymore :)

The way they describe Murphy in articles, it reminds me of Irbe. Small goalie with big saves. I'm excited to see him play. It will probably be better if he doesn't make the AHL next year and starts for the Florida Everblades, that will give him more time to develop, and us more time to make a spot for him. Once he hits the AHL he'll probably have to adjust his game some, and hopefully he'll take some time to develop. The organization has to take their time with him, because we are fine in the goaltending department. With Wardo proving how he is an elite NHL goaltender, and Leighton a solid and cheap backup, you also have Justin Peters ready to be called up (Despite lack of scoring support in Albany this year, he posted pretty good numbers with a .914 sv% and 2.70 GAA. Then there's Daniel Manzato who has been fighting Peters for starter status. Now with Murphy in the mix, we probably have an overstock in goalies. I'm pretty sure that the most goalies you can have on contract with an NHL team is 5, and we have 5 with Murphy. We're probably going to have to let one go. After Leighton's contract, as much as I like the guy, he'll probably get better offers, and we can replace him with the same amount of talent, and a whole lot more potential for a whole lot less money.

As far as I'm concerned the backup goalie position is still up for grabs from anyone in the organization or free agent. Leighton has been better then Grahame and Grahame was better then Storr but honestly does any of that say much of anything?

6-7 with a 2.97 GAA isn't solid at all.