The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Most Prospects and their outlook on next year

Hm. Well, I thought about it a lot. I am somewhat concerned about all those young prospects. Not because of their potential, but because of our roster doesn't seem to have any open spots for the young kids to step up.

Starting with defense, there are Gleason, Pitkanen and Corvo who are pretty much set, and won't go anywhere. In addition, Wallin and Kabs are still under contract for one more year, and a chance to move them just seems not to be there. Now there's two guys left: Seids and Babchuk. Let go Babchuck? I don't think this would be a wise move to take, he's at the same age as is Rodney, and showed some really big potential. Ok, he's somewhat sloppy when it comes to his own end, but hey, he's a young boy and basically an offensive D, so there should be time to improve on that...I would say his potential is at least as big as Rodney's. Now on Seidenberg...I wouldn't like to see him go. He played a very big season, took his game to another level, and could be a worthful D for years to come, on a fair salary basis.

So now...how to open any space for Rodney, or even Borer, Carson, or Conboy? Borer and Carson are still young enough to take some years in the minors, based on that they're Defenseman who usually need some extra years in development, but on the other hand, Rodney and Conboy have to take a step, it's now or never at their age.

On a conclusion, I'd go this far: If we can't move Kaberle and/or Wallin, maybe packaged with a pick, to make some space for the young guns and get our team a little younger, then we should seriously think about trading Rodney as long as his value of a young promising player is up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like getting rid of him, but this would be the best for him, finally making it to the NHL, and the best for this team in not "losing" a valuable player for nothing, jst because of contract issues.

Now on with offense. In my opinion, Sutter, Boychuk and Bowman have to be on our team next year. Period. So now...how to make space for them? Boychuk can play the wing, but is a natural center, as Sutter is. With Staal, Brindy, Cullen, and likely Jokinen, there doesn't seem to be any space for more centers to join the roster. Even on the wings, there isn't any space left within the top 9 position, and Bowman and Boychuk aren't likely to be set on a energy 4th line.

So what to do? Let Colesy go? Jokinen? Ruutu? I don't think we want to give up on any of those players. Cole should be resigned, and he will sign, even on a largely lower payroll (IMO, he shouldn't be paid more than ~2.5$ based on his late performance). Ruutu and Jokinen both fit this team absolutely great, and will be back as good and fairly paid players.

So, what options are left? I think Roddy should call it a career, it would be the best for this team, and for him. Looking at the past two seasons, we can see clearly that he has come to an age where he simply can't recover from any injury as fast as he would like to, and he just doesn't get back to a level where he was a couple of years ago. I highly aprreciate what he has done for this franchise, and for us fans, and man, I just love him, but thinking of the future of this team, I think it's time for young blood to show up in order to continue a slow rebuidling.

To look at some more players...Walker seems to be a good fit on a well played Energy 4th line, and so does Eaves, and/or Rosie. Still, I think we'll have to move one or two players, maybe for draft pics, and have to wait what Raymond is planning for his further career. With that being said, I think we could let go Ryan, Helminen and Bayda, and also think about Eaves to move, as he just doesn't get it goin here (and could make a better fit on another team in another system, dunno). A so imagined 4th line of Sutter, Walker and Larose could be a beast of an energy line, and still have a scoring touch, and Cullen could support 2 young guns on a third line.

I could think of something like that:

Whitney - Staal - Cole

Ruutu - Jokinen - Samsonov

Bowman - Cullen/Sutter - Boychuk

LaRose - Cullen/Sutter - Walker

(Conboy)

Gleason - Corvo

Pitkanen - Babchuk

Rodney - Seidenberg

(Wallin)

Ward

Peters/Leighton (with Leights maybe back to Albany)

Kaberle and Eaves could be moved, maybe along with some picks, for future picks in 2010, 2011, or maybe some very young prospects.

Well, that's my thoughts. However, I think it's very important to find a way for our promising young guys....this team doesn't get younger by itself, and additionally, those entry level deals could save us some money as well, at least over time.

i really hope none of those forwards are on the team next year except maybe boychuk. sutter and bowman need time we all saw this year that sutter didnt have the strength and size yet. bowman has a high ceiling and a great scorers mentality, but i dont want him here next year. this team has solid forward depth, no need to rush these guys. give them a year in ahl, look what it did for staal and ward.

i dont think rodney is all that highly thought of as a prospect or trade bait. i think we jsut aquired him last year for the AHL playoffs, i'd never heard of him before that. he was an echl guy before that. carson is a big guy who looks to be a future 4-6 guy. he also has some offensive upside. but neither one of them can take over for seidenberg's 24 min a game right off the bat. seidenberg probably wont be resigned because he will get 2.5 from someone else and we cant afford him, we have larose ruutu and babchuk due raises with jussi probly gettin the same and cole taking a slight cut. there will be no room for him.

i pray cullen isnt on the 4th line next year. he's way better then sutter at this point. sutter probably never reaches his level of offensive production. also i think brindy still wants to play. i think staal is ready to take over as captain but also wouldnt mind the team having another year under brindy. especially sutter under him for faceoffs and d play.

Peters/Leighton (with Leights maybe back to Albany)
Think alot of fans here in Albany would jump for joy to see Leights back here in Albany but seriously do not think it will ever happen.

I'd like to comment on some of portisfreak's notes - and I'm only commenting on those I've seen play for the Rats. I'm relatively new to the Hurricanes players and am still observing and forming my opinions

Conboy/Leighton - I don't know much about the contracts - I'm still figuring it all out, but it was my understanding that both Conboy's and Leighton's were one way. I certainly don't think it would be beneficial to the team to put Leighton back in Albany and move Peters to Raleigh. I think Peters needs a - of course I would have said that Washington putting Varlamov in for the playoffs would be first round suicide so I could be totally off base. Oh and I think Conboy's age has absolutely nothing to do with his playing ability he's still younger than 1/2 the Hurricanes current roster most of which you have listed to stay.

Peters - trust me when I tell you that I am one of his biggest supporters/fans (ask Max if you don't believe me) and will usually be the first to jump on that bandwagon. That being said, I think that with the trying season the Rats just finished he needs at least 1/2 a season in the AHL still. Peters was remarkably more focused and balanced in the 08/09 season than he was in the 07/08 season, but I feel that there's still a piece of the puzzle missing. Not a large piece, but it's there and it needs to be filled.

Helminen and Ryan - In my opinion, from seeing them play in Albany, it would be ridiculous to get rid of either of these guys. Both have the ability to fit into whatever line they're on - admittedly some better than others - and can get the job done.

Sutter & Rodney- Personally - and I know I'm in the minority on this so there's no need to point it out - I think Sutter could use another year in the minors. He's a talented player, I won't deny that, but he's not as consistent as he could be. I have the same complaint with Rodney. Both will be unbelievably on target one minute and flounder the next.

Borer - Sadly, I think Borer will have to spend at least another 1/2 year in the AHL due solely to his season ending back injury. He's perfectly capable of playing at the NHL level to start the 09/10 season, but I think they will put him in Albany, at least to start.

Carson - same opinion as Peters. He's right there, but there's still some small something missing. I understand he held his own when he was up in December. I know that he played well the majority of his time back in Albany after his call-up, but I still think he's a step away from being up there full time.

On a conclusion, I'd go this far: If we can't move Kaberle and/or Wallin, maybe packaged with a pick

You do realize that BOTH of the players you mention above have no trade clauses in their contract? Hence, why Kabs has not been traded, that and nobody wants him or they would have picked him up when we was on waivers. Unless they waive it, they both are not going ANYWHERE. This has been discussed and beated to death.

You do realize that BOTH of the players you mention above have no trade clauses in their contract? Hence, why Kabs has not been traded, that and nobody wants him or they would have picked him up when we was on waivers. Unless they waive it, they both are not going ANYWHERE. This has been discussed and beated to death.

Wallin has a NTC, but not Kabs. Although, there could be a "possibility" to move one of them, but as I also said, the chances to do so aren't very good. That'S why i picked it up, that'S why I picked eventually the whole post: I see that there's not likely any room for any of our prospects to make the roster next year.

WHat I was posting is just a so, so, maybe possibility of how it could be made to work, as I, personally, would really like to see the young guys come in.

Oh and...that Peters/Leights thing was just a thing of thought, dunno what JR is planning to do and how pleased the staff is with Leights performance.

Anyway, thanks to the rats in here to give some impressions about the boys in Albany, sadly, I can't really follow their way in the minors by myself, only have to believe what I get to read :(

Anyway, thanks to the rats in here to give some impressions about the boys in Albany, sadly, I can't really follow their way in the minors by myself, only have to believe what I get to read :(

We the Rats fans, will try to keep you well informed :) I try to be as accurate as possible and Max has been following the Rats since the beginning so he's the best source of info