The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

Chris Terry

medium_Chris%20Terry%20with%20C.JPG

Chris Terry is the next star, for sure! I am glad to see, that in the near future, he will play for our team. Young and ambitious player, who brings a lot of energy and quality in the gameplay of his team. I'm looking on him as future leader and as a man who will care for everything. Also, I like his abilities outside the ice, where he cares about the children. A tiny place, like Raliegh is the place, where Terry will become the best player.

Not only has he exploded offensively in the last two seasons, but he won some award for his leadership and conduct off the ice. Pretty darn impressive for a 5th round draft pick...I think we have a great player here for sure.

To answer your Q though, Chris Terry was skipped over because of his small(er) size, lack of production (before being drafted), and other various athletic shortcomings (like conditioning, etc). To sum up though, Terry just wasn't impressive enough to warrant higher drafting at the time of his selection. All the more better for us though because obviously we got a steal by drafting a good scorer and a solid all-around player.

I'm pretty stoked about alot of the guys we have coming up including Chris Terry, I'm just hoping they can be developed enough to make an impact sooner rather than later. It seems a few of our issues could be solved if we get some quick development

I've heard alot of talk that his offensive play may not translate well to the NHL, like Chad LaRose. LaRose is also the player that I've seen some compare Terry to, a solid third-line energy forward that can put up solid point totals in the right situation. I've also seen some question his work ethic, they say he just doesn't seem to have that necessary passion to take his play to another level. It's entirely possible he may find that passion in the AHL, but I would taper my enthusiasm and instead focus on more well-rounded prospects like Bowman, Boychuk, and McBain.

I've also seen some question his work ethic, they say he just doesn't seem to have that necessary passion to take his play to another level.

Where was this sourced from? It would surprise me if the Canes Scouts and Player Development Rep (Francis) would offer a contract to a player with this type of (perceived) issue.

CC

The best rule of thumb for looking at prospects is to ignore their stats because they're so misleading. There is no formula to translate statistics from juniors to minors to majors. Stats are nice and fun but they hardly mean anything. Look at LaRose's stats from the QMJHL, he almost averaged 2 points per game.

Where was this sourced from? It would surprise me if the Canes Scouts and Player Development Rep (Francis) would offer a contract to a player with this type of (perceived) issue.

CC

A couple of posters on another board who are fans of the Whalers and see them on a consistent basis. I don't doubt that he could be a fantastic energy player in the mold of LaRose. However, to expect his production to carry over into dominant NHL seasons is unrealistic.