The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nashcountycane1

Canes/Rats days coming to an end?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-rats-affiliation-to-continue' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-...ion-to-continue[/post]

"Will the Hurricanes be affiliated with the Albany River Rats next season? Good question.

General manager Jim Rutherford had this to say about the American Hockey League team:

"In all likelihood we will be affiliated with Albany this season. We will know in the next few weeks."

Odds are, the Canes will continue with that affiliation. And while Rutherford does not want to comment further, the guess here is that it's possible it will be the last season the Canes and Rats are affiliated.

How about this: the Hurricanes buying an AHL team, putting it in Charlotte and expanding its "footprint" in the state? Seems like that would make sense. "

Thoughts?

Could Charlotte support it and would they?

Could Charlotte support it and would they?

I wouldn't mind if they moved to Greensboro. It would be a lot closer to Raleigh. I do think that the question of support would come into play more in Greensboro.

I wouldn't mind if they moved to Greensboro. It would be a lot closer to Raleigh. I do think that the question of support would come into play more in Greensboro.

do you think Greensboro would do a better job than Charlotte or worse.

I know Charlotte already has an ECHL team, the Checkers and I dont know what kind of support they get but I would have to guess very little since its hard enough to find a Canes article in their newspaper, they are lucky to get back page coverage. If they can support a team though I would be in favor of it, I know I've always wanted to see our prospects play more often.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-rats-affiliation-to-continue' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-...ion-to-continue[/post]

"Will the Hurricanes be affiliated with the Albany River Rats next season? Good question.

General manager Jim Rutherford had this to say about the American Hockey League team:

"In all likelihood we will be affiliated with Albany this season. We will know in the next few weeks."

Odds are, the Canes will continue with that affiliation. And while Rutherford does not want to comment further, the guess here is that it's possible it will be the last season the Canes and Rats are affiliated.

How about this: the Hurricanes buying an AHL team, putting it in Charlotte and expanding its "footprint" in the state? Seems like that would make sense. "

Thoughts?

I have been a fan of this idea for years. By moving a Hurricane affiliated AHL team to Charlotte, the Hurricanes further the chances of expanding ticket sales into the Piedmont area of both North and South Carolina. Hockey is big time here, with a strong youth program, a high school league and many Northern transplants. Younger fans struggle now with the Checker because they are sent from Charlotte to Hartford, and then to NYC. If we make a team in Charlotte, players come to Charlotte as AHL players and many would be much more willing to drive to Raleigh to see a player they have followed for a while.

As for the big question, can Charlotte support a AHL team, I say yes. The reason being that right now they have consistently done a great job at filling the arena for ECHL, hardly as good a quality as the AHL. Last season 2008/2009 records from Sports Network showed a total attendance in Albany of 141,550 for the season and an average attendance per game of 3,539. The Checkers sis a total of 191,208 with a per game avergae of 5,311. Add to that the fact that they have to pay top dollar in Charlotte to park and pay top dollar again for refreshments in the Time Warner Arena to watch ECHL hockey, I'm sure more people would be willing to pay for a better quality of hockey.

I know Charlotte already has an ECHL team, the Checkers and I dont know what kind of support they get but I would have to guess very little since its hard enough to find a Canes article in their newspaper, they are lucky to get back page coverage. If they can support a team though I would be in favor of it, I know I've always wanted to see our prospects play more often.

As you can see, they draw more than Albany. Plus, if my memory is correct, they have consistently had some of the best attendance and profit year to year. Charlotte can support a team.

The AHL website has Albany listed in a 2009-2010 affiliation with Carolina. It appears to be relatively up to date as they've already got the Phantoms listed as the "Adirondack Phantoms" and the new franchise, Abbotsville Heat, on the list.

Keeping in mind there is always the possibility for change, I'm going to not think about it unless I hear an official announcement. I don't adjust well to change and, while they'll still be your prospects regardless of where they go, my freaking out in Albany for no reason is just a waste of energy :P

http://www.theahl.com/theahl/nhlaffiliates/

Don't think Greensboro has really gotten over the Monarchs moving up to AHL in the 90's. The team after we left G'boro, the Generals, folded after a mere five years.

As for Charlotte, I wouldn't mind seeing AHL coming here, but I don't think everyone will be on board with that.

I kinda like the affiliation with the Rats. Even though Charlotte might make sense if they do change I would like to see Norfolk considered. There are a lot of us Cane fans stuck out here on the coast and having to go watch a Tampa Bay affiliated team is almost unbearable except when they play the Rats.

Norfolk is an ok hockey market but Scope is a little old as an arena. Still I wouldn

I kinda like the affiliation with the Rats. Even though Charlotte might make sense if they do change I would like to see Norfolk considered. There are a lot of us Cane fans stuck out here on the coast and having to go watch a Tampa Bay affiliated team is almost unbearable except when they play the Rats.

Norfolk is an ok hockey market but Scope is a little old as an arena. Still I wouldn

Put a team in Greenville. ECU would have a bigger sheet of ice to play on AND get more of a draw from the "wealthy" coastal folks. :lol:

Thoughts?

Put a team in Greenville. ECU would have a bigger sheet of ice to play on AND get more of a draw from the "wealthy" coastal folks. :lol:

Please introduce me to a couple, I could use the contacts. Don't forget to ask them if they play poker! :)

I'm all for ECU getting bigger ice.

Please introduce me to a couple, I could use the contacts. Don't forget to ask them if they play poker! :)

I'm all for ECU getting bigger ice.

I really hope this does not happen. I would really hate to lose the Canes as an affiliate. They have been great to us and you fans have been great to us so I would really hate to lose the Canes.

A team close by in Charlotte would be awesome, but I really like the job the Rats have done so far. It seems like the Albany management and the Canes have some good chemistry there. I also wouldn't want to miss out on Max's posting contributions. ;)

A team close by in Charlotte would be awesome, but I really like the job the Rats have done so far. It seems like the Albany management and the Canes have some good chemistry there. I also wouldn't want to miss out on Max's posting contributions. ;)
I agree the two teams management get along so well. I understand where alot of you guys are coming from to want the affiliate to be closer so you guys could see them alot more and be closer for call ups but why end a good thing for both teams. Us fans here in Albany would be the first to tell you guys how great the Canes are to us and how much we love them being here. Thanks for the kind words canes n' bosox that means alot to me.

I would like to see the Rats and Canes continue on being "brothers'' as well. When I say I wouldn't mind seeing AHL come here, I don't neccesarily mean the 'Canes AHL team, Charlotte is a city of 600,000+ people and the Checkers IMO are kinda big-league for double-A hockey. I do agree that Albany and Carolina seem to be working well together, and our posters in upstate NY do a good job keeping us up to date with our farm team there. And If I'm ever in Albany for whatever reason in the near future, and it's still Hockey season, I am going to a River Rat game. :)

So Rats and Canes in 2010!! ;)

I agree the two teams management get along so well. I understand where alot of you guys are coming from to want the affiliate to be closer so you guys could see them alot more and be closer for call ups but why end a good thing for both teams. Us fans here in Albany would be the first to tell you guys how great the Canes are to us and how much we love them being here. Thanks for the kind words canes n' bosox that means alot to me.

It is not so much that we want the team moved, the current arrangement is fine with me and we love the updates from Max BUT if the team is bent on ending the Albany/Rats connection then Charlotte/Greenville are good options.

Well like I said and you guys have said I really hope it does continue here in Albany. But I know for the most part what you guys are getting at.

Well like I said and you guys have said I really hope it does continue here in Albany. But I know for the most part what you guys are getting at.

Think that you would just have to move down here if they do change affiliates :D

As for the big question, can Charlotte support a AHL team, I say yes. The reason being that right now they have consistently done a great job at filling the arena for ECHL, hardly as good a quality as the AHL. Last season 2008/2009 records from Sports Network showed a total attendance in Albany of 141,550 for the season and an average attendance per game of 3,539. The Checkers sis a total of 191,208 with a per game avergae of 5,311. Add to that the fact that they have to pay top dollar in Charlotte to park and pay top dollar again for refreshments in the Time Warner Arena to watch ECHL hockey, I'm sure more people would be willing to pay for a better quality of hockey.

I'm really surprised at these numbers, and it is certainly encouraging for hockey in this state. I agree with the general consensus that if things didn't work out with Albany, that Charlotte and Greenville would be good options, but I want the relationship with Albany to continue.

This may be a really ridiculous question, but what happens to the players if the Canes change affiliates? Do they remain with Albany despite being in the Canes organization or do they relocate? And what about Jeff Daniels?

This may be a really ridiculous question, but what happens to the players if the Canes change affiliates? Do they remain with Albany despite being in the Canes organization or do they relocate? And what about Jeff Daniels?

they belong to us, we would have to find them a new home.