The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nashcountycane1

Canes/Rats days coming to an end?

Yeah all players and coaching staff would go where ever the Canes put there AHL team.

Yeah that's what made the most sense to me, but you never know... :) Personally I hope they stay with the Rats.

Yeah that's what made the most sense to me, but you never know... :) Personally I hope they stay with the Rats.

Occasionally the AHL team will sign a player, Max could verify this but most of the guys have a Canes contract and are ours. Ever so often I will read that the team itself has signed so and so which he would belong to them but the others were signed by Ron Francis/Jason Karmonos.

Interesting thought of the Checkers moving up to the AHL. There is a debate with the Stingrays and what they are going to be doing in the next few years as well. I feel that the Checkers and Stingrays are in the same situation. The ECHL is loosing teams again and again with the most recent as Mississippi. Most of the teams in our division are gone. Travel cost are starting to really add up and would be an issue if either were to move up to the AHL along with higher salaries. The ECHL is still hoping that they will get more teams in this area (getting Columbia back and a team in Myrtle Beach), but those currently don't look too promising. The rumors with the Stingrays were that they would move up to the AHL or to the SPHL since there are more teams in the area. It woudl be interesting to see if the Checkers move up it would be a good move for the Stingrays move up as well.

Interesting thought of the Checkers moving up to the AHL. There is a debate with the Stingrays and what they are going to be doing in the next few years as well. I feel that the Checkers and Stingrays are in the same situation. The ECHL is loosing teams again and again with the most recent as Mississippi. Most of the teams in our division are gone. Travel cost are starting to really add up and would be an issue if either were to move up to the AHL along with higher salaries. The ECHL is still hoping that they will get more teams in this area (getting Columbia back and a team in Myrtle Beach), but those currently don't look too promising. The rumors with the Stingrays were that they would move up to the AHL or to the SPHL since there are more teams in the area. It woudl be interesting to see if the Checkers move up it would be a good move for the Stingrays move up as well.

I think the Canes play the salaries, the affiliates cover other cost.

Occasionally the AHL team will sign a player, Max could verify this but most of the guys have a Canes contract and are ours. Ever so often I will read that the team itself has signed so and so which he would belong to them but the others were signed by Ron Francis/Jason Karmonos.
Yes every now and then AHL teams do sign players to AHL contracts. Not very many players though. We are one of the few teams that hardley ever do it with this past year being the exception. We had 4 players on a AHL contract.

I think the Canes play the salaries, the affiliates cover other cost.
Yes the Canes do play of all the players under contract with the Canes and the coaches.

How about this:

- Checkers become Canes AHL affiliate

- Rats become Rangers ECHL affiliate

Based on the attendance numbers and the move towards keeping farm teams closer to their NHL affiliate - wouldn't this make sense?

A trip to see guys in the system play by fans of each NHL team is much more practical with this type of swap, naturally helping attendance in both places.

From here in Wake Forest, I'd certainly make a trip to Charlotte to check out Canes guys a few times a season, but I'm not making that same trip to Albany, NY. A local TV deal with Time Warner (cable access channels?) could maybe make sense then too. I know, that's probably a little too optimistic since we can't even get all the damn NHL games on TV around here. :blink: