The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandpiper214

Mark Flood signs with NY Islanders

Rat leaves the nest

By Phil Janack

Monday, July 6, 2009

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack...at-leaves-nest/

Mark Flood, who led Albany River Rats defensemen with 76 games played and had career highs of 25 assists and 31 points, was signed by the New York Islanders just before the 4th of July holiday.

Acquired on Nov. 29, 2006 in a trade with Columbus for defenseman Derrick Walser, Flood, 24, played parts of the last three seasons for Albany, scoring 63 points (19g, 44a) in 165 games. He developed into one of the Rats most consistent defensemen in 2008-09, and a valuable on and off-ice leader, particularly in the wake of the team's Feb. 19 bus crash.

A right-handed shot, Flood scored 11 points on the power play last season. He's expected to begin the upcoming season in Bridgeport, his third AHL team. He also played 17 games for the Syracuse Crunch before joining Albany.

Flood's addition will help fill the void for the departed Chris Lee, a graduate of SUNY Potsdam who had 30 points (6g, 24a) in 66 games for the Sound Tigers last season. Lee, who made his AHL debut for the River Rats in 2006-07, signed as a free agent with defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

Very disapointed to see the Canes let Mark get away. Thought for sure he would have been one of the first ones re-signed to play here in Albany. Thought he had turned into a very good d man. Thought for sure also he would have been a first call up if the Canes needed a d man. Very disapointed in seeing him go.

I'm just hoping it isn't the start of a trend. We had 14 players at the end of last season who were up for consideration. 2 are signed (Ryan and Dwyer), 2 of them are gone (Petruzalek and Flood). I know it's not the first priority to sign the minor players, but I had hoped to see more on the "staying" list at this point.

Rat leaves the nest

By Phil Janack

Monday, July 6, 2009

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/2009/jul/06/rat-leaves-nest/' target="_blank">http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack...at-leaves-nest/[/post]

Flood's addition will help fill the void for the departed Chris Lee, a graduate of SUNY Potsdam who had 30 points (6g, 24a) in 66 games for the Sound Tigers last season. Lee, who made his AHL debut for the River Rats in 2006-07, signed as a free agent with defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

"Fill the void for ... a graduate of SUNY Potsdam" - there is something you will not see written very often in the hockey world! I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for him.

Too bad about losing Flood, sounds like he was a key part of the team. We are pretty deep at D, but it pays to stay that way, especially with the current situation for the Canes.

Too bad about losing Flood, sounds like he was a key part of the team. We are pretty deep at D, but it pays to stay that way, especially with the current situation for the Canes.

Exactly. We had 5 Rats defensemen up for renewal (Babin, Borer, Carson, Flood & Rodney). Hopefully we don't lose any/many more.

"Fill the void for ... a graduate of SUNY Potsdam" - there is something you will not see written very often in the hockey world! I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for him.

Mark was a big part of our team. But I personaly think he could have steped right in and helped the Canes out if need be. Ithink he was one of our more ready d men to go to te NHL had the need come up./

not necessarily. Sutter probably. Boychuk and McBain possibly, but the others could end up in Florida depending on how camp goes and who resigns with Albany.

there is no way any of those guys play in florida. the Echl hardly ever produces NHL players. boychuk bowman sutter and mcbain will be in ahl or nhl next year. only murphy might go to florida and thats just so he can start 65 games instead of backing up peters in ahl. bellemore or terry might play in florida.

the Echl hardly ever produces NHL players.

Chad La Rose, Martin Biron, Tim Thomas, Joe Corvo, Boyd Kane, Olaf Kolzig, Curtis Sanford, Ruslan Fedotenko, Dwight Helminen, Pat Dwyer, Brett Carson, Keith Aucoin, and Dave Gove, all spent some time in the ECHL - some substantial time - just to name a few of the 407 (http://echl.com/alumni/ if you want to confirm) ECHL players who have played in the NHL.

There's nothing wrong with starting them in that league if necessary. Oh and every player from the Rats that has gone down there in the past two seasons has come back stronger and better.

some of those are solid guys but carson aucoin gove dwyer helminen are just fill in guys. the everblades are always pretty good and have an AMAZING facility, so i can definatly see the guys improving down there.

some of those are solid guys but carson aucoin gove dwyer helminen are just fill in guys. the everblades are always pretty good and have an AMAZING facility, so i can definatly see the guys improving down there.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't care about gove and aucoin, they're not in our system any more.

As for the other three I think that if you think they're just fill in guys you're severely underestimating them. Particularly since Helminen got called up at the beginning of March and never sent back down again. That's a little bit more than "fill-in"