The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sutter16

Brookbank and Melichar Waived

JR strikes again getting rid of 2 dormant contracts and filling a need. He said last year that he likes to do trades that benefit both sides so everyone walks away felling like it was a fair deal. Tampa gets rid of Jokinen's contract, we get rid of 2 players contracts that weren't doing anything for us and we add in the pick so Tampa feels like they at least got a player for the future out of the deal.

Did I read it right when someone posted that the 4th round pick given to Tampa in this deal was the pick the Canes received for not being able to sign Hordichuck last summer?

They seem to update the "Ice Chips" thing daily...I tried messing w/ the URL a bit with no luck. They did state on the TBL webpage the day of the trade that Melichar would be assigned to the AHL, and they weren't sure about Brookbank.

Did I read it right when someone posted that the 4th round pick given to Tampa in this deal was the pick the Canes received for not being able to sign Hordichuck last summer?

Somebody else asked that...my recollection is that we gave the Wild our 4th round pick for the right to sign Hordichuk early, contingent on us signing him...since we didn't, we got it back.