The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MattDoc

Using Member's Photos and Graphics

I completely agree, MattDoc and I appreciate you posting this here.

I have one request to add...If you want to use one of our pictures and have gotten permission or given the proper credit, drop us a PM with the link (if it's online). I love to see some of the places my pictures are being used! Thanks!

I'm definitely for this and remember, if I hear about anyone refusing to give credit to someone where its deserved, WE (the forum staff) do reserve the right to refuse the use of the photograph and can legally order you to remove it. I'd much rather it not get there, but if someone takes a photograph, as MattDoc said, while they may technically not own it, they still do have the rights that their work not be used by anyone with the exception of the Hurricanes since all their logos are property of the Canes.

I think it's important to point out that most of our members do ask first and give credit afterward. At least, that's been my experience. I don't think this is a widespread issue -- but then again I don't go policiing the web to see if my work's being used anywhere without credit. I'd like to think -- and in fact I do think -- that the problem Matt had is isolated and not a common practice.

But he makes a valid point. The artists make a considerable investment in time, effort (and yes... money) to produce the work -- and get very little in the way of a "payoff" at the end of the day. So give 'em their props -- they've earned that much.

I'm definitely for this and remember, if I hear about anyone refusing to give credit to someone where its deserved, WE (the forum staff) do reserve the right to refuse the use of the photograph and can legally order you to remove it. I'd much rather it not get there, but if someone takes a photograph, as MattDoc said, while they may technically not own it, they still do have the rights that their work not be used by anyone with the exception of the Hurricanes since all their logos are property of the Canes.

This is coming from someone who previously refused to put a credit line in their signature? Yeah. :P

But I agree. I hate it when people take my stuff without asking.. I'm very sure usually to put my website or username on graphics though, so that I still get credit somehow.

But yeah, especially photos. Don't forget to ask, guys!

This is coming from someone who previously refused to put a credit line in their signature? Yeah. :P

But I agree. I hate it when people take my stuff without asking.. I'm very sure usually to put my website or username on graphics though, so that I still get credit somehow.

But yeah, especially photos. Don't forget to ask, guys!

I had very good reason to withold it. :mrgreen:

Great post Mattdoc! I agree completely!! I myself don't make sigs and I have not shared any pics, [b/c I don't have any.... haha], but I can't imagine how frustrating that is!! To me, that would be like someone taking one of my writings, like a poem, and putting it on their website and not giving me credit. That would frustate me. If I ever want to use one of your pics, I will most definately ask!!! :D

As an artist in general, and a photographer specifically, I go by the motto of the PPA, *When it's created, it's copyrighted...period!*

For some reason photos in particular people feel as though it ok to *appropriate* them. Not sure why photography is considered to be a lesser art form, but this is a perennial problem.

So, if you want to use a photograph, obtain permission from the artist in writing AND be sure to give copyright information when you display it.

L

And photographers/signature makers can help their cause by marking their work. You'd sign a drawing, mark your photos. That clears up a lot of confusion. Maybe you always mark 'em in the top right corner or something, but that's the best way to ensure they're not stolen.

And photographers/signature makers can help their cause by marking their work. You'd sign a drawing, mark your photos. That clears up a lot of confusion. Maybe you always mark 'em in the top right corner or something, but that's the best way to ensure they're not stolen.

It might give someone pause, but with available technology it is easy enough to Photoshop out a copyright.

The point I was trying to make is that with or without a copyright symbol on it, an image is copyrighed automatically when it is created. People should know enough to know whether or not they took a photo themselves. An occasional problem has become commonplace with the availability of imagery on the internet. Somehow a lot of people don't see it as *stealing* or copyright abuse if they take something off a web site.

L

True. But if they're that determined to take the photo nothing is going to stop them. Those are the people you actually have to worry about.

For your average Joe/Jane, they're not going to bother to remove the copyright. So put it on. It's the maker's responsibilty to mark their work. That's why your coffee mug has a stamp on the bottom of it identifying who made it. That's why every one of the pictures I draw has my signature on it in three places. (and good luck getting it out of someone's hair)

Most every website you visit, the graphics/photos are copyright marked. Or watermarked, or both.

I'm not trying to contradict you, caneswincup. I'm just offering you something that may cut down the theft at least a little.

Legally, people who take photos at Canes games do not own the copy right. This is because the Hurricane name/image/logo or the NHL name/image/logo is seen and is ALREADY copy righted to the team/NHL. This is why it is stated that pictures posted are property of this forum and can be used/removed/published by the Hurricanes at any time. This is by the Hurricanes though, not anyone. And if anyone comes to me and reports someone who has used a picture they took, even though it isn't copy righted to them, they did use the time and effort to take it and were kind enough to share it. I would therefore be more than willing to have the person remove the image, and should they refuse, I also have no problems contacting the Canes Loss Prevention guys so that they can take appropriate action. So basically, the Hurricanes don't mind you using the images, just ask the person who took it/made it. Then everyone is happy.

Here is a link to NOLO's copyright resource information. It is quite extensive (NOLO resourcing usually is).

Ref 107 makes a good distinction about any pictures including any image related to the Carolina Hurricanes _their images are already protected material, and even though photographers, sculptors, painters, cartoonists -whatEVER - may create productst independently, if those products include or in any way represent the Hurricanes, the organization can invoke copyright protection.

Re: use of someone's photographs, appropos of anything else, the NOLO sight provides invaluable information about how to copyright one's creations (do not assume that mere creation of same protects it), etc.

http://www.nolo.com/resource.cfm/catID/2EB...1E/310/276/136/