The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TheseGoTo11

Worth 100 Words... 10 years and a Stanley Cup ago

Great thread! Brings back all the memories. You should consider sharing this with the Canes.

Thanks for posting.

Great thread! Brings back all the memories. You should consider sharing this with the Canes.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting.

Actually I sent the link to Luke DeCock and everybody in the Canes organization I thought might be interested, but I haven't heard anything from any of them yet. Maybe once the rest are uploaded...

Actually I sent the link to Luke DeCock and everybody in the Canes organization I thought might be interested, but I haven't heard anything from any of them yet. Maybe once the rest are uploaded...

I know they have big plans for their own 10 years in review type of thing, but maybe you have something they dont.

Anyway, glad you're posting it for us. Im sure there are plenty of newer fans here that weren't following hockey yet when the whole Greensboro thing started. Or maybe even when the RBC was still the ESA. Bet you didn't know you be giving history lessons?

I know they have big plans for their own 10 years in review type of thing, but maybe you have something they dont.

Anyway, glad you're posting it for us. Im sure there are plenty of newer fans here that weren't following hockey yet when the whole Greensboro thing started. Or maybe even when the RBC was still the ESA. Bet you didn't know you be giving history lessons?

Oh, I'm always giving history lessons. And considering that most of the Canes staffers were probably not with the organization in 1997, I'm also fairly sure I have stuff they don't have. Actually, the fact that I took the shots makes them something they don't have... at least as far as I know.

Here's a bar-bet type trivia question for ya:

Q: "Who scored the first goal in the RBC Center?"

It's a trick question obviously (hence the bar bet thing). The most common answer is Andrei Kovalenko, which would be correct if you were asking who scored the first goal in the building. But at that time the RBC Center was not the RBC Center... it was simply known as the ESA. The first goal (regular season at least) scored in the RBC Center came off the stick of Mark Messier of the Rangers. (Actually, the first two goals were his.) The first Hurricane to tally in the RBC Center was Rod Brind'Amour (who got the only Canes goal in a 4-1 loss).

I'm pretty sure Ron the Ref would be looking for Kovalenko as an answer, but if you want to impress him with your encyclopaedic knowledge of Canes lore, giving him all three answers would probably do the trick. Who knows, you might even get an extra prize.

But then again, would Ron ask such an obvious question?

Thanks for sharing this wonderful pics and facts, I am a new hockey fan and greatly appreciate these memories. It helps you to appreciate how far we have come. How fitting that Brindy was the 1st to score in RBC, this is a great historic fact for him, 1st I have ever heard it.

OMG!!!! THANK YOU so much for posting those pics from Crabtree. I remember that day and was actually going through my scrapbook from the first season today and saw the jumbo cards that Wesley and Burke were signing that day. But really I want to thank you for your AMAZING timing because I am in one of the photos. You don

OMG!!!! THANK YOU so much for posting those pics from Crabtree. I remember that day and was actually going through my scrapbook from the first season today and saw the jumbo cards that Wesley and Burke were signing that day. But really I want to thank you for your AMAZING timing because I am in one of the photos. You don

Thank you canesmojo for the wonderful memories. I wasn't a fan back then and it was so nice getting to see pics from where it all began. The more pictures I look at the more excited I get about Sunday if that is even possible.

Thank you canesmojo for the wonderful memories. I wasn't a fan back then and it was so nice getting to see pics from where it all began. The more pictures I look at the more excited I get about Sunday if that is even possible.

Yeah, it's amazing to look back and realize that it's been ten years since I took those shots. And there are more on the way as soon as I have the chance to get them uploaded. Then I'll start scanning the stuff from 1998-99 when I was actually shooting for a magazine. (But that's a subject for a WHOLE other thread.)

All of this takes a while since I didn't switch to digital until the middle of last season, but I've been meaning to do it for years, so this gave me the motivation to get it done.

What were the odds that someone on this board was actually AT that event? Small world, eh?

I can certainly send you a higher resolution copy if you'll tell me which one it was, but chances are it's not going to be any better for your purposes than what's on the site already. It probably has a lot less ot do with resolution than it does focus. Depending on where you are in relation to the subject, you're probably just out of focus and higher resolution is just going to turn a blur into a bigger blur. If you're significantly in front of or behind the focal plane, there's not much I can do with it.

Funny, I ran across those same jumbo cards when I was digging out the negatives for this project.

I sent you a PM

WOW!!! I completely forgot about those games....

I went to quite a few of those, driving all the way to G'boro.

I have an old poster at home with Trevor Kidd, Gary Roberts and one other player that escapes my memory right now (might be Ray Sheppard).

Hey old timers, remember the Original forum, where everytime you posted, it opened up another sub folder and you had to keep drilling down

to find the latest posts??? :lol::lol::lol:

It'd be cool to add links to anybody else's photos from that time period, so if you have shots from the first season load 'em up and let us all enjoy. If you need assistance doing it, PM me and I'll see if I can help.