The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fightinmad

My Hockey Art

I use to be big into drawing, but I drew more marvel and DC comics characters. Then we moved down to FL and I stopped. Dunno why, but it just stopped. Now I do house work. ;) Just as relaxing, eh? Guess not. :)

I draw in my spare time, so a drawing can take months, I'll work on it here and there, five minutes to a couple hours if I'm lucky. When it looks good but I'm not in the frame of mind to properly finish it, I set it aside. I go through about 2 reams of 8.5x11 paper every year. Out of 1400 sheets, I get about 10 fantastic drawings. Out of those ten, maybe one is hockey. This is an unusual year because I already completed 3 hockey drawings. Rockstar and Jordan Staal have matching originals of that Jordan Staal picture. (started all over again for hers) But the Brindy one is a one and only.

Sometimes it's more a matter of finding that perfect photo to work from for the drawing than it is a matter of doing the drawing itself. As long as I have that reference photo to keep checking myself against, I'm set for the shading and colors. I might enhance colors a smidge, so that you can see the contrast better, but the lighting usually remains the same, except for the drawing "Lights", where I added a second light source and toned down the shadows some. An example of upping the contrast was slightly darkening the area around Jordan's eyes to enhance the blue. You can't really tell that so well from the scan, but there are ten shades of blue in his eyes. There are four shades of green in Brindy's eyes. Six shades of brown in Justin Williams' hair. (three in Brindy's, if I include the black) There are two browns and a yellow and an orange in Jordan's hair.

More than anything, it's a matter of trial and error. "Lights" is a third attempt, "Jordan" is a second attempt, "Brind'Amour" is a third attempt. So don't give up on a drawing, make the sketch separate so you always have something to go back to. And if it's not fun anymore, stop. Hockey art is a side diversion for me, my main art is equine. Horses are infinitely easier to draw than people.

And for my fellow self-taught artists out there; the guy who did all the storyboards for Lord Of The Rings is self-taught too!

This isn't hockey related, but it is another of FM's wonderful works. She did it for me for Christmas 06, and it's me and my best friend.

The picture I took of it didn't come out well at all, but the drawing itself is wonderful.

HPIM1039.jpg

This isn't hockey related, but it is another of FM's wonderful works. She did it for me for Christmas 06, and it's me and my best friend.

The picture I took of it didn't come out well at all, but the drawing itself is wonderful.

HPIM1039.jpg

wow. That drawing is amazing.

FM... You've got competition!!!!

I have now done 3 pieces of players... Ruutu and 2 Willies. Ruutu's already gone to my mom, the other two are for Mother's Day. Tried to do a Staal, but idk if it was his face or what, but something wasn't right. I'll upload some pics when I get a chance.... soon to do a Whitney, Brindy, and a Brookbank.

For the record, though, mine still are not as good as FM's. Willie's eyes were hard to do on mine, plus they are not as much as face shot as jersey-up shots.

wow...i'm shocked at how real those look. you should use it as your avatar, or as your picture with your signature.

By the way I failed me art class nearly, so this stuff really amazes me.

kristen-portrait-8-15-08c.jpg

Here is one I did a couple of months ago of my friend. It is hockey related, cuz everytime I IM or talk to her on the phone while a Canes game is on, they win. It happened like 8 times last season. I tell her that she is 8-0. Rememeber the Brind'Amour hat trick in NY... that was her. LOL