The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greensboro-Hurricanes

The Last Game in Whalers History

Wow, look at Johnny! He sounds so young (I had no idea his trademark phrase was around back then). But the T-3 still sounds the same after all these years. :)

As much as I love the 'Canes, there was no reason for Hartford to lose their team. If the NHL insists on moving a truly struggling franchise, they should relocate it to Hartford and let them use the old Whalers name and colors. I'm sure we would have a terrific rivalry with a Hartford team, if they ever get one back.

As much as I love the 'Canes, there was no reason for Hartford to lose their team. If the NHL insists on moving a truly struggling franchise, they should relocate it to Hartford and let them use the old Whalers name and colors. I'm sure we would have a terrific rivalry with a Hartford team, if they ever get one back.

That would be awesome

It would never pass muster. The Whalers are the Hurricanes. Same as the Dallas Stars are the Minnesota North Stars, and the Wild could not have used that name. It's the same franchise, just different name.

For example, first there was the Atlanta Flames, that high-tailed it to Calgary, hence the Calgary Flames. When Atlanta was given another franchise (what were they thinking????) they had to use anothr name, hence the Atlanta Thrashers.

I have to disagree Ivy. The Canes may be born from the Whaler franchise, but they are not the Whalers. That's like saying the Baltimore Ravens are the true Browns. But wait doesn't Cleveland have a new franchise team named the Browns. So some towns are steeped so deep in tradition that no other name could represent them. Hartford's roots are too deep in being the Whalers that no other name could make it there. As a matter of fact I met a gentleman (Kevin Massicotte) that flew down from Hartford at our tailgate during game 3 vs the Pens. He's working on a movie to try and bring back the Whalers. You may want to check out his website and the fandom that still thrives in Hartford at bleedinggreenmovie.com. Not to mention I believe there is one individual in that area that owns the rights to the Whalers name.

I have to disagree Ivy. The Canes may be born from the Whaler franchise, but they are not the Whalers. That's like saying the Baltimore Ravens are the true Browns. But wait doesn't Cleveland have a new franchise team named the Browns. So some towns are steeped so deep in tradition that no other name could represent them. Hartford's roots are too deep in being the Whalers that no other name could make it there. As a matter of fact I met a gentleman (Kevin Massicotte) that flew down from Hartford at our tailgate during game 3 vs the Pens. He's working on a movie to try and bring back the Whalers. You may want to check out his website and the fandom that still thrives in Hartford at bleedinggreenmovie.com. Not to mention I believe there is one individual in that area that owns the rights to the Whalers name.

Is his name ForeverWhalers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Today is the 12th anniversary of the final game in the history of the Hartford Whalers. Here are the higlights I made from my copy of the game tape.

http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/video/x8yn2v_hartford-whalers-last-game_sport' target="_blank">Last Hartford Whalers Game (4/13/97)[/post]

Hey did you once post a link with a video of the Hurricanes first ever game and then their first ever game in NC? If so could you post it again?

I have to disagree Ivy. The Canes may be born from the Whaler franchise, but they are not the Whalers. That's like saying the Baltimore Ravens are the true Browns. But wait doesn't Cleveland have a
new franchise
team named the Browns. So some towns are steeped so deep in tradition that no other name could represent them. Hartford's roots are too deep in being the Whalers that no other name could make it there. As a matter of fact I met a gentleman (Kevin Massicotte) that flew down from Hartford at our tailgate during game 3 vs the Pens. He's working on a movie to try and bring back the Whalers. You may want to check out his website and the fandom that still thrives in Hartford at bleedinggreenmovie.com. Not to mention I believe there is one individual in that area that owns the rights to the Whalers name.

Is his name ForeverWhalers? :lol::lol::lol:

Heh, no kidding. Actually I'm fairly certain the city owns the rights to the name, the colors, and the logo. If the NHL did move a team there, from what I know, they certainly could use the Whaler name, but I don't know if the new imaginary owners would go for that.

Great video. Very depressing though...makes me feel bad to be a 'Canes fan.

Maybe I should call myself a Whalers fan first.

Yeah it is/was depressing. It doesn't make me feel "bad" to be a Canes fan, but I know what you mean. I feel sorry for Hartford because it would tear me apart if we lost our team under the same circumstances. :\ It makes you appreciate what we have that much more.

John sounds the same....however I like this color guy...whats he doin these days? I want em back

That was the saddest post game win celebration ever. It's like...yay we won...who cares..

Yeah it is/was depressing. It doesn't make me feel "bad" to be a Canes fan, but I know what you mean. I feel sorry for Hartford because it would tear me apart if we lost our team under the same circumstances. :\ It makes you appreciate what we have that much more.

I've often wondered how I would feel if the Canes left Raleigh. Look no farther than the stands in that video. Johnny Forslund still has it though!

I just watched this for the first time.....man that was sad. Cheering for a win and an outcome that virtually meant nothing to anyone, but the fans of the team. It was weird hearing the goal horn, Chuck and Johnny Forslund, but not with the Canes or at the RBC. If the Canes ever moved I don't know what I'd do, I can't even imagine not having hockey now that I've gotten to be such a big fan since the '00 - '01 season.

I think Hartford deserves to get a team back sometime, they can be named the Whalers also if the city wants it to since they own the rights. Different franchise, same team sort of thing. I just don't see it happening any time soon. The Hartford market may be traditional, but it is small. The Raleigh market is one of the fastest growing in the nation. The poor economy and the need for a new arena doesn't help matters either............