The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ColossalCaniac

Top 10 Canes Goals 08-09

Hmmm...Just a couple suggestions. Corvo's OT goal against Florida was ranked the #10 goal of the entire league of last season, the only Cane goal to make that list. Based off that, I'd rank Corvo's as #1.

Jussi's goal against the Devils is an important goal, but if you're ranking it on difficulty to perform, and not importance, that's nowhere near #1. A couple goals I was surprised to see left off the list:

Chad's 2nd goal against the Islanders (3/20) - Just a pretty setup by Whitney, finding Chad all alone after the entire Islander defense collapses on Whitney.

Samsonov's goal against the Flames (3/6) - As Forslund put it: The steal and the deal. Picks off a lead pass and freezes McBackup for an easy goal.

Babchuk's goal against Washington (3/21) - Not the prettiest goal out there, but the hands he had and patience he showed were very un-Babslike.

Samsonov's goal against the Devils (3/18) - The definition of tick-tack passing. Brindamour to Jokinen to Samsonov.

Staal's 2nd goal against the Lightning (3/7) - Just an example of the chemistry Staal and Cole have together. Cole's surrounded by defenders, but puts the puck to a location where he knows Staal's going to be, gives Staal a breakaway.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm trying to improve the picture quality to HD, so when I remake it, I might change around the goals.

And I was debating whether or not to include Jussi's last second goal, but I put it in, because within the context of the game, scoring with .2 seconds is incredibly difficult. But I see your point.

Great stuff. Nice to see the Cullen to Whitney goal in San Jose get some love - I love that one.

Where's Staal's snipe job in Atlanta on the 2nd goal of his December hat trick? Also, Samsonov's goal in Game 4 of the Boston series should be on here somewhere.

I still remember dropping 4 letter words all over the place after seeing Corvo do what he did how the beep did he do that... holy beep....

Corvo #1 good list though, Jussi's goal was very lucky not really talented though.

And I was debating whether or not to include Jussi's last second goal, but I put it in, because within the context of the game, scoring with .2 seconds is incredibly difficult. But I see your point.

That goal will be talked about forever as one of the greatest moments in the RBC Center... IMO, it does need to be on the list. To me, it isn't about difficulty, but the timing and spirit of the team at that point. I like it at number one.

Great stuff. Nice to see the Cullen to Whitney goal in San Jose get some love - I love that one.

Where's Staal's snipe job in Atlanta on the 2nd goal of his December hat trick? Also, Samsonov's goal in Game 4 of the Boston series should be on here somewhere.

Yeah, that pass from Cullen was a thing of beauty! And great awareness from Ray to get it on his stick and into the net.

I think you did a great job putting this together and I can't wait to see the next version!! And it sounds like it will have 20% more Samsonov, which is even better! :lol:

Regardless of the ranking, that's fun to watch. I won't argue which is better they are all great.

You do notice a recurring theme though.. the cross crease, back door pass/shot worked to perfection multiple times. Samsonov to Staal, Pitkanen to Jokinen, Samsonov to Jokinen, Cullen (behind the back!) to Whitney.. over and over the bang bang plays with precision passing.. that's something we have lacked in years past, and even struggled with some the last two years, but its awesome when it works (hence the top 10 list).. lets hope we can bank more of those this year...

*Holy Cow.. I just watched the last couple and saw the Pitkanen to Staal, behind the goalline, behind the GOALIE, through the crease pass for the Hat Trick.. unbelievable!!

Is it hockey season YET???

Regardless of the ranking, that's fun to watch. I won't argue which is better they are all great.

You do notice a recurring theme though.. the cross crease, back door pass/shot worked to perfection multiple times. Samsonov to Staal, Pitkanen to Jokinen, Samsonov to Jokinen, Cullen (behind the back!) to Whitney.. over and over the bang bang plays with precision passing.. that's something we have lacked in years past, and even struggled with some the last two years, but its awesome when it works (hence the top 10 list).. lets hope we can bank more of those this year...

*Holy Cow.. I just watched the last couple and saw the Pitkanen to Staal, behind the goalline, behind the GOALIE, through the crease pass for the Hat Trick.. unbelievable!!

Is it hockey season YET???

that pass was by Walker