The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hauser

Ov's 50th Goal celebration

Boudreau: 'I Don't Expect It to Happen Again'

Coach Bruce Boudreau said this morning that he has spoken to Alex Ovechkin about his controversial goal celebration.

"We had a little talk," he said. "I won't say what we talked about, but we talked."

After a pause, Boudreau added: "It's the first and only time I've seen that happen in all the time I've been watching Alex. I've never seen him do a celebration like that. But I don't expect it to happen again."

Ovechkin said he was not trying to disrespect anyone or the game. He was just being himself. But he also said he's not going to change because people don't like his goal celebrations.

"Bruce asked me what I mean to do this," Ovechkin said. "I just have fun. He said people might think I don't respect different team. But I respect everybody. I don't want to show bad things. I show my thing. It was not disrespect."

"Everybody right now don't like my celebration when I score a goal and jump to the glass or do something like that," he added. "But I only do something new. It's just my thing. I was just happy that I scored 50 goals."

Way over the top. His normal exuberance is one thing, the planned celebration is another; just act as if you have scored before and will score again. His actions are part of a problem that is far too common in sports and in scociety with the attitude "it's all about me."

I think the only people who can criticize here are the other players that have 50 goals. Sounds like a bit of jealousy. It was nowhere near as bad as any of the stuff they do in the NFL for every touchdown. 50 goals is pretty monumental. I don't think he wanted to rub it in their faces, just that he was having a good time and he was stoked to hit that mark.

Much ado about nothing. You don't like him celebrating against your team, stop him from scoring.

And all of the nonsense I've heard about foreign players and disrespecting the game, et al, please Google things like Selanne Rookie Goal Celebration, Tiger Williams, Mike Bossy....Over the top celebrations for monumental goals have been around a lot longer than hockey in Carolina.

Had no problem with it. Wasn't the smartest thing to do at the time, but the overreaction to it is just ridiculous.

I agree, no different than what goes on in football. Should John Madden call Don Cherry and tell him to tone down the wardrobe? If teams would just stop him from scoring he would have nothing to celebrate!! Complaining about it doesn't make up for poor defense.

Im fine with celebrating a goal...but there is going too far and the Capitals seem to be the only team that does it over and over. Ovechkin seems to have very little respect for his opponents and it shows in the way he hits by leaving his feet. We get it, ur the NHL scoring king...we dont need to be reminded of it by u acting like a pee-wee player. Its great that Ovechkin loves the game so much, but grow up and be a bit more mature about it...this is the NHL where the big boys play, not the children. And the same goes for the rest of ur team. U dont have to tackle each other after every goal.

I didn't have a problem with it. In fact, I liked it. I would hate it if NHL guys started acting like golfers, holding every emotion in. It's a passionate game and IMHO, athletes needs to release the valve and scream, pump fist, jump, or whatever in celebration. Where I draw the line is taunting and rubbing it in the opponents' face. I did not feel Ovie did that to the TB goalie.

I really liked OV's jump into the glass celebration when he just missed stopping Corvo's empty net goal tonight ;)

I really liked OV's jump into the glass celebration when he just missed stopping Corvo's empty net goal tonight ;)

LOL.

Here's the thing - look at the culture of the sport in question. Part of hockey culture is not having these over-the-top goal celebrations. I like Ovechkin, I like his enthusiasm and love for the game, I like how he doesn't take himself too seriously. I, however, don't like his over-the-top celebrations. It's not something that's a part of hockey and I like it that way. He needs to act like he's been there, because he's a great player and certainly has. It's a game and he should have fun with it, but when 99% of NHL players don't do celebrations like that after scoring a goal, it will be viewed as showboating and, as Sidney Crosby said, make him a target.

Ovechkin is having fun with what hes done and he enjoys the game. Everyone criticizes him for the little things and the celebration. I mean really? Hes enjoying the game and you know he is because he even says it. Hes just doing it for fun and goofing around there is no harm in celebrating. Eric staal has jumped into the glass one or two times and all of our players celebrate a little bit. So he went a step further and did like a celebration it did nothing to point and taunt the other team it was using something of his. Hes saying hes hot not that the other team sucks... I have no issues at all. I used to hate ovechkin but honestly now i see him as a player who is just having fun and he shows it in his passion for the game. People really need to lighten up.

I don't really have a problem with it. he's a young guy, we know he's happy when he scores, Don cherry is very old school, so i expect him to whine over it. If it were up to cherry we'd fine every european for celebrating after a goal, and make it worse than the NFL touchdown celebration fine.

Fact is there's been quite a few flashy celebrations over the years, OT goals, milestones, 50 goal's is a great milestone. This one is a bit different, but it is comical. Reason why people harp on Ovechkin is because he did it on the road during a blowout win over TB.

Again, if you don't like the celebrations, don't let him score. these players and coaches get paid millions, they should be able to handle some celebration like that, suck it up, move on. We got playoff hockey to talk about, and wasting it on a celebration by Ovechkin is pathetic.

Should player sstop celebrating like crazy when they score a big OT goal in the playoffs to prevent hurting the other teams feelings?...I mean come on.

Im fine with celebrating a goal...but there is going too far and the Capitals seem to be the only team that does it over and over. Ovechkin seems to have very little respect for his opponents and it shows in the way he hits by leaving his feet. We get it, ur the NHL scoring king...we dont need to be reminded of it by u acting like a pee-wee player. Its great that Ovechkin loves the game so much, but grow up and be a bit more mature about it...this is the NHL where the big boys play, not the children. And the same goes for the rest of ur team. U dont have to tackle each other after every goal.

MAN, I could NOT have said it better myself. Thats EXACTLY what I think of Ovie.

I don't really have a problem with it. he's a young guy, we know he's happy when he scores, Don cherry is very old school, so i expect him to whine over it. If it were up to cherry we'd fine every european for celebrating after a goal, and make it worse than the NFL touchdown celebration fine.

Fact is there's been quite a few flashy celebrations over the years, OT goals, milestones, 50 goal's is a great milestone. This one is a bit different, but it is comical. Reason why people harp on Ovechkin is because he did it on the road during a blowout win over TB.

Again, if you don't like the celebrations, don't let him score. these players and coaches get paid millions, they should be able to handle some celebration like that, suck it up, move on. We got playoff hockey to talk about, and wasting it on a celebration by Ovechkin is pathetic.

Should player sstop celebrating like crazy when they score a big OT goal in the playoffs to prevent hurting the other teams feelings?...I mean come on.

I have to agree with you there. The main goal of the game is to score a goal on your opponant. When you do then you're happy. And since the's scored 50 goals for the last 3 years.. that's quite an accomplishment.

I always like watching his celebration when he or one of his teammates scores. I had no problem with the celebration but I do understand why others would.

I have problem with it - especially a landmark goal.

I really think his enthusiasm level brings a lot to the sport.

Don Cherry and other self-proclaimed hockey purists have made a big deal over Ov's "excessive" goal celebrations. What are your thoughts?

I have to agree with you there. The main goal of the game is to score a goal on your opponant. When you do then you're happy. And since the's scored 50 goals for the last 3 years.. that's quite an accomplishment.

That was my first reaction too... he's scored 50+ goals a season for 3 years straight... that puts him in the company of guys like Gretzky and Guy LaFleur.. I think I would probably celebrate a little bit too.. I'm sure the whole team was pestering him for the 3 games from 49 to 50.. "When ya gonna get it man.. when ya gonna get it?"

I don't really have a problem with it.. I mean everybody pumps a fist or smacks the glass or jumps up and down for a game winner or series winner... Where do you draw the line? Guys can't pile on the goalie after winning the Cup? Yes, OV's thing was prerehearsed and not spontaneous, but ya know.. he probably won't do it again until he hits 50 next year.. its not like he does that bit for each and every goal he scored.. 50 is a big one and 50 3 times is pretty phenomenal.. and he wont even win the points race cause Malkin is way ahead.

Hejduk's celebration didnt even cause this kinda controvesy and if the Jet's player skeet shooting wasn't a big deal. Whats the deal with Ovie? Who cares dont let em score.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Hejduk's celebration didnt even cause this kinda controvesy and if the Jet's player skeet shooting wasn't a big deal. Whats the deal with Ovie? Who cares dont let em score.

I remember Hejduk's OT goal , and that was a season OT game, maybe its ok if its in OT or something.

Selanne's celebration was after he broke Mike Bossy's rookie record for scoring...it's a milestone, much worse than ovechkins celebration, but as usual people only look at the here and now. Old-time hockey purists need to move on, I've seen gretzky score milestone goals while on edmonton, his team jumped on him they collapsed from jumping on top of each other or whatever, it is really no different.

I remember Cherry also got on Jagr for doing the salute sometimes after he scored, as if it bothered opponents that much, hockey analysts just need things to complain about.

Fact is, its all stress relef really, its not to rub it in the other team's face, its like Ovechkin pulled a Tampa Bay Jersey out of his back pocket and dusted himself off with it.

I could care less if OV wants to put on a show but what used to look like raw emotion to me, now looks phony and admittedly premeditated. One of the most enjoyable parts of pro sports to me is the raw emotion you see when a team or player has performed at such an amazing level and has tapped emotions that can only be tapped with pure adrenaline. Cant remember the girls name on the USA soccer team a few years back that fell to her knees in the middle of the field just as time ran out and pulled off her jersey after winning it all. That was so much raw emotion that she didn't even realize what she was doing or where she was at that moment.

I'll probably question every reaction OV gives now as to whether or not its a premeditated show for attention, or raw emotion from accomplishing something special. I wouldnt take anything away from what he's been able to accomplish because of it, I'll just question his sincerity.