The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2008-09

I'm confused (not unusual when it comes to trying to figure out these standings, LOL). If Florida loses, which it looks like they might, they stay at 70 and 6th place (right now - lots more games that will affect all this will be played tonight). It we go ahead and take advantage of this opportunity, and actually win tonight's game against Atlanta, that gives us 71 points, which would put us in 6th place, no?

(Now, of course, if the Rangers win tonight .... not likely ..... but if they do, they go up to 72 points and would knock us to 5th place.)

Why are you saying we would only get the 8th spot if we win tonight?

I very much fear the Devils, LOL, they are on fire right now.

Ok.. I am assuming Buffalo is going to win.. since they are playing against the Inept Islanders. They move to 72 points also. If florida drops down, we would only move up one spot.

For us to move up to sixth, the Rangers, Buffalo and Florida ALL have to lose. But if any ONE out of the three lose (like Florida is about too) AND we win.. we move up to 8th. Yes, we would jump up to 6th, but then if the rangers and buffalo win we would slide back down.

I probably had it wrong in my previous post since I had the points for Montreal wrong, here is how it would look.

Florida has lost, if all other teams win tonight.

6th Rangers - 72, 7th Buffalo - 71, 8th Carolina - 71, 9th Florida - 70

If Florida and the Rangers BOTH lose (most likely scenario). Carolina and Buffalo Both WIN.

6th Buffalo - 71, 7th Carolina - 71, 8th Florida - 70, 9th Rangers -70 (Florida is currently ahead of the Rangers so I assume they have the tiebreak)

If Florida, Rangers AND Buffalo all LOSE, and Carolina WINS. (This is very very unlikely, but this is what we are rooting for!)

6th Carolina - 71, 7th Florida - 70, 8th Rangers - 70, 9th Buffalo - 69.

Montreal plays tonight, but win or lose, we cant catch them in 1 game.. they stay ranked 5th.

Does that make sense? I was saying we take 8th, since Florida we KNOW is gonna lose, but we have to expect the Rangers and Buffalo to win for a realistic scenario, but I think the Rangers will lose, so the 7th place scenario comes into play.

Again, as mentioned by TSA.. if we lose tonight to Atlanta, all this conjecture is a moot point... we would stay 9th and Florida would drop to 8th.

Of course, we can jump up to 6th.. then lose to the Caps, and Buffalo, Florida and NYR all win and we drop back down to 9th... with only a 1 point difference its gonna be a yo-yo ride the whole way to the finish. We could end up anywhere from 6th to 10th place and we may not know it until the last 2 games of the season.

Boston/Washington tied 3-3 with about 3 minutes left.
Why does this not surprise me? LOL

Thanks for the break down of the current standings, and what might happen as a result of today's many games ..... I know Coach Mo says our team just needs to worry about their own game(s), and they do, but I can't believe they're not as interested in what the outcome of today's games (for example) will have on our standing.

To add even more confusion into the mix, a number of teams have games in hand b/c Canes have played 63 games. The mantra remains "win and you are in."

Rangers are up 4-0 over Colorado, so no help there.

Buffalo/Isles are 0-0.

5-0 now Rangers... holy cow...

And I wouldnt get too excitied yet, but the Isles are leading Buffalo 1-0.

Unfrickenbelievable.... Buffalo loses, Florida loses... They hand us 7th place and we give up 4 count em... FOUR unanswered goals to lose to a HORRIBLE atlanta team.. whats gonna happen tuesday when we lose to washington and Pittsburgh Buffalo and Florida all win? Thats right ladies and gents.. we drop to 10th and our playoff hopes die a painful horrible screaming death.

Thanks Canes.. I like watching hockey in May but now I wont be.

Tommorow Pittsburgh Plays Dallas and Florida Plays Washington. Assume Pittsburgh will win, Pray to all that is holy Washington beats Florida. Carolina will likely be down to 10th before we play on tuesday.

Tuesday we face Washington, Florida plays Atlanta (so Florida gets thrown a bone... ) Buffalo plays the Habs on wendsday.. Maybe we can count on the Habs to win one... but at this point, after we lose to Washington we will be squarely in 10th and out of the playoff race.

Tommorow Pittsburgh Plays Dallas and Florida Plays Washington. Assume Pittsburgh will win, Pray to all that is holy Washington beats Florida. Carolina will likely be down to 10th before we play on tuesday.

Tuesday we face Washington, Florida plays Atlanta (so Florida gets thrown a bone... ) Buffalo plays the Habs on wendsday.. Maybe we can count on the Habs to win one... but at this point, after we lose to Washington we will be squarely in 10th and out of the playoff race.

I think Dallas will beat Pittsburgh and the Habs will beat Buffalo...they couldn't even get one goal against lowly Islanders.

pitt went into dallas today and is going to win, and they won in shootout in chicago, are we capable of getting those 4 points against those teams this month?AND, that going to be one ticked off caps team if they dont come back..

Kitty-kats up on the Caps 5-1.....Pens up on Stars 4-0...

Not only if these scores hold up, the Canes will sink to 10th place, they will face a T.Oed Caps team on Tuesday.

1) Atlanta loss has been amplified by today's results so far...our team deserves this though. Just means more hard work for them...and fighting against the odds.

2) Our chance at winning in Washington on Tuesday was already slim...but now with Florida's rout I'm pretty sure that hell will have to freeze over before we walk out Tuesday night with a victory. Definitely a good decision by FS-Carolinas NOT to show the game.

Again, if the team had just taken care of business things wouldn't look so bleak. Washington would still be hard to beat, but instead of being three points behind Florida and even behind Pittsburgh we'd be in 8th place and just a point back of several teams ahead of us. You could almost say now that the Washington game will be a must win...but lol to that thought.

1) Atlanta loss has been amplified by today's results so far...our team deserves this though. Just means more hard work for them...and fighting against the odds.

2) Our chance at winning in Washington on Tuesday was already slim...but now with Florida's rout I'm pretty sure that hell will have to freeze over before we walk out Tuesday night with a victory. Definitely a good decision by FS-Carolinas NOT to show the game.

Again, if the team had just taken care of business things wouldn't look so bleak. Washington would still be hard to beat, but instead of being three points behind Florida and even behind Pittsburgh we'd be in 8th place and just a point back of several teams ahead of us. You could almost say now that the Washington game will be a must win...but lol to that thought.

Oh no, not another must win game ;)

i tell my buddy all the time , he grew up in maryland, theodore is not taking caps to promised land, he got pulled after first period today

The only game tonight is the Flames vs Islanders. At least an Isle win won't push the Canes even more out of the playoff picture.