The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2008-09

I say we pull for the Rags today, to put an extra cushion between us and the Slugs. Besides, getting in 7th means we face the Devils.

So you want to be in 7th and face the devils? I would think (over the course of 7 games) we would have better luck with facing either Washington or Boston (although we do have a nice history of eliminating NJ from the playoffs.) Plus, if we just so happen to win against the Craps tonight, we dont drop down even if Rags win.

Buffalo is 5 points back with 10 games left. Not totally out of it quite yet, but 3-5-2 in the last 10 isnt getting it done, and wont get it done in the next 10. A loss tonight would put them 7 points back (assuming Montreal beats the leafs) with 9 games left to play which is a heck of a hill to climb, so maybe a loss tonight and the Sabres are done for.

If we win, then the outcome of that game doesnt really matter since we won't change spots. I suppose at that point then yes, Buffalo losing to take a team out of the chase would be good, but personally I'd want Rags to lose so we could have a 3 point lead instead of a 1 point lead. But thats just me.

so philly and the pens play today. and both are 1 point ahead of us. i will be cheering for the pens, because philly has four games in hand on us and pittsburgh only has one game in hand on us. adkfjadk maybe it doesn't really matter, but if we want to stay with them both of them then i think i would like pittsburgh to win.

so philly and the pens play today. and both are 1 point ahead of us. i will be cheering for the pens, because philly has four games in hand on us and pittsburgh only has one game in hand on us. adkfjadk maybe it doesn't really matter, but if we want to stay with them both of them then i think i would like pittsburgh to win.

Wouldn't you kinda look at that the other way around? If we want to assume we can't catch philly (due to points lead and multiple games in hand) then wouldnt benefit us if Pittsburgh lost? That would give us a shot at the #5 spot, even if #4 is out of reach? Also a Pittsburgh loss would burn that 1 game in hand and put them even with us. Correct?

I'll be pulling for Philly anyway regardless, but I think a Pens loss benefits us more. We also need Philly to win some other games down the stretch for us, like I believe the play the Rangers twice, or maybe its the Panthers twice.

Rangers play Ottawa tonight at home.. a win will drop us to 7th hopefully Ottawa can pull one out. I dont think any other games tonight have an immediate bearing on our standings.

Hummmm ..... I was initially thinking it would be best for Philly to lose because of the four(!) games they have in hand, but when I look at the explanation EricNCSU just gave, I can see the benefit (albeit short-term), of Pittsburgh losing. I'm not sure what direction I'm leaning towards on this one. shrug.gif

The Hurricanes should pick up on how to defeat the Pens....just get physical with them and they'll pick up retaliation minutes...Double minor to Gonchar at the start of the third.

Wouldn't you kinda look at that the other way around? If we want to assume we can't catch philly (due to points lead and multiple games in hand) then wouldnt benefit us if Pittsburgh lost? That would give us a shot at the #5 spot, even if #4 is out of reach? Also a Pittsburgh loss would burn that 1 game in hand and put them even with us. Correct?

I'll be pulling for Philly anyway regardless, but I think a Pens loss benefits us more. We also need Philly to win some other games down the stretch for us, like I believe the play the Rangers twice, or maybe its the Panthers twice.

Rangers play Ottawa tonight at home.. a win will drop us to 7th hopefully Ottawa can pull one out. I dont think any other games tonight have an immediate bearing on our standings.

You're right. Maybe I was over/under thinking it too much. It looks like Philly is going to end up winning anyway...no three point game?

sens have won 9 out of last 10 games, only 7 pts behind habs.. interesting..habs might feel the tie getting a little tighter around their necks

sens have won 9 out of last 10 games, only 7 pts behind habs.. interesting..habs might feel the tie getting a little tighter around their necks

Not just the Sens, but the Sabres and Leafs coming up that division too.. Of course the Slugs and Leafs have been tanking it, but they are all clustered there 10th, 11th, 12th. Other then Boston, it looks like no one from that division may make the playoffs.. If montreal falls out and Florida creeps in that may be all she wrote for the NE.

1 NE Div team (Boston), 3 SE Div (Wash, Car, Fla) and 4 Atl Div (All but Isles)...that would be an interesting scenario. Maybe end weak talk about the SE and switch to the NE instead? Probably not, since ATL and TB are 14th and 15th they will still try to pull hockey out of the SE... *sigh*

For tonights games,

Rangers play Minnesota - Minnesota fighting for a playoff spot, hopefully beats the Rags, Rags @ home.

Atlanta plays Montreal - Can a hot atlanta team stick a fork in the Habs? Habs @ home.

Neither the Rags nor Habs can over take us.. so no downer if they win, but if they lose we gain breathign room as they burn games in hand.

If the Caps win 3 more games, they will clinch the divison and we wont be able to catch them. If we go 7 of 7 to finish we will hit 101 points. 3 wins gives Caps 102. However, if we are shooting for 94 points, then we need 7 points in the last 7 games, which the way we are playing now should be no problem, so 4 more wins and we hit 95. However, given the lead we have over other teams, I dont think the points are as important as just staying ahead. Other teams are collapsing this year, not us.

If the Caps win 3 more games, they will clinch the divison and we wont be able to catch them. If we go 7 of 7 to finish we will hit 101 points. 3 wins gives Caps 102. However, if we are shooting for 94 points, then we need 7 points in the last 7 games, which the way we are playing now should be no problem, so 4 more wins and we hit 95. However, given the lead we have over other teams, I dont think the points are as important as just staying ahead. Other teams are collapsing this year, not us.

Wasn't this the same scenario last season? We only needed so many more points, and we clinch... and we couldn't get it freaking done. COULDN'T GET IT DONE! So I'm begging and hoping that we get into the Playoffs. We were in 3rd, the division leader, and then not even in it. Too much to handle.... So, I'm hoping we can pull it off.

Wasn't this the same scenario last season? We only needed so many more points, and we clinch... and we couldn't get it freaking done. COULDN'T GET IT DONE! So I'm begging and hoping that we get into the Playoffs. We were in 3rd, the division leader, and then not even in it. Too much to handle.... So, I'm hoping we can pull it off.

Well I think we've had more help this year then last year.. Instead of Washington soaring to the lead and Florida knocking on the door, this year we've got teams like the Sabres, Rangers and Habs who are tripping over all the hurdles and stumbling down the stretch. Plus now we have a 6 point lead on Florida instead of a 1 or 2 point lead where every win advances us and every loss drops us. Obviously we've won like 5 games in a row, but we've stayed 6th (now 5th) this last couple of weeks instead of 10th one day, 6th the next, 9th the next, 8th the next 4th the next, 7th the next etc... We've put together a good stretch of games here and built a decent cushion.. Yeah we were 3rd last year by virtue of being division leader, but by bare points we probably would have been 5th or 6th, the SE was pretty weak last year, so we fell, but we didnt really fall that far, cause it was a win or go home situation only the division leader was getting in. Now we have three SE teams in position to make the playoffs since the NE division (Sabres, Leafs, Sens, Isles) have crumbled this year.