The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2008-09

The Leafs had a five goal explosion - or, should that be the Rags suffered a five goal implosion - to win tonight's game. It's going to be a tough game tomorrow.

Wow, New York collapsed big time, and I don't mean the stock market. Leafs scoring 5 straight in the 3rd period doesn't exactly make me feel that much better. And what's with Montreal making huge comebacks against both NY teams? They pulled something similar to this last year against the Rags I think, only it was from 0-4 to 5-4 or something.

The Leafs had a five goal explosion - or, should that be the Rags suffered a five goal implosion - to win tonight's game. It's going to be a tough game tomorrow.

Sure hope they burned all their energy tonight! That was a hell of a comeback!

Florida winning and TB losing turned out to be pipedreams as both teams forced (or surrendered) overtime and ended up in shootouts.. Florida lost, TB won..

TB and Washington now tied for 2nd in the Div. with 11 points. Washington plays again the 4th, TB again the 5th.. so Carolina has to control its own destiny with a win tommorrow to keep the division lead. I know its early in the season but every point counts, and you dont want to risk another situation like last year where div leader is in the playoffs and everyone else is not.

Atlanta beat Florida 5-3 to move to 8 points and hold Florida at 9 so no changes in the division standings. Carolina's HUGE win tonight puts them in the drivers seat at least for one game, regardless of whether TB and Washington win on tuesday and wendsday of this week, Carolina will still own 1st in the divison. A win for us on tuesday at Toronto will help that as well.

Stillman only played 4 minutes and change against Atlanta... Anybody know what happened? I assume he got hurt since he was leading the team in points I doubt he would get benched...?

Stillman suffered some sort of injury to the face / head? Not much was said. A Thrasher player took him into the goal post and then pounded him into the ice. Although Stillman left the ice on his own, he was also dazed.

Stillman suffered some sort of injury to the face / head? Not much was said. A Thrasher player took him into the goal post and then pounded him into the ice. Although Stillman left the ice on his own, he was also dazed.

Reports are Stillman lost several teeth and needed stitches and he will also miss 2 or 3 games with a concussion... That really sucks.

Washington lost to Ottawa last night in OT, Tampa lost to NJ tonight in a SO.. both pick up 1 point, but now Carolina has a 4 point lead in the division.

Here's hoping for a good result in Washington on thursday.

Anyone watch the Tampa/NJ game tonight? It was great to see Kevin Weeks get the shoot out win and if you saw it, it was quite an emotional win for him. Very cool to see the team gather around him and show such support.

Anyone watch the Tampa/NJ game tonight? It was great to see Kevin Weeks get the shoot out win and if you saw it, it was quite an emotional win for him. Very cool to see the team gather around him and show such support.

Yeah seeing him go down to one knee with excitement was pretty cool. I was really happy for him. In one fell swoop that team has become one that can win with 2-3 goals scored per night to needing around 4-5. Time will tell if Weekes is up to the challenge.

I saw the highlights on sports center this morning.. you could tell he was bummed to let in the tying goal but he shut it down in the shootout.. nothing exemplifies hockey more then a goalie with a glove hand fist pump...

Kinda interesting to see him wearing ole Archie Irbe's #1, does someone else on NJ have 80 or did he just switch? I guess he's not "Shady 80" anymore.

Good for him.. hope he keeps it up. .I always liked Weekes.

I saw the highlights on sports center this morning.. you could tell he was bummed to let in the tying goal but he shut it down in the shootout.. nothing exemplifies hockey more then a goalie with a glove hand fist pump...

Kinda interesting to see him wearing ole Archie Irbe's #1, does someone else on NJ have 80 or did he just switch? I guess he's not "Shady 80" anymore.

Good for him.. hope he keeps it up. .I always liked Weekes.

It's more like Lou Lamoriello is a jerk and for, whatever reason, won't let anyone on the Devils wear above the number 40.

Some Games of Note:

Marc Staal nets his first goal of the year as his NY Rangers beat Tampa Bay 5-2. Tampa drops to 4-4-4 with 12 points, still 4 behind Carolina.

Atlanta beat the Islanders 4-3, improve to 4-7-2, jump over idle Florida for 4th in the division.

Pittsburgh jumps out to a 5-0 lead, then Edmonton scores 4 in a row including a SH, but fall short as Pitt holds on to win 5-4. Cole has an assist and was +1, but also took two penalties.

Ottawa picks up a win at home against Philly before travelling to Carolina for tommorrow nights game.. Auld will again play tommorrow in a back to back situation, hopefully we can test him more then the pitiful Flyers.

Light night tonight in the league but a few games of note besides Carolina's win over Ottawa.

Atlanta wins thier second game in a row, beating Buffalo 5-4 in overtime. Atlanta improves to 5-7-2 with 12 points, tied with TB for third in the division. Lets hope Carolina can put an end to thier little 2 game win streak.

Mike Commodore and the Blue Jackets pick up a shootout win 4-3 over the Montreal Canadiens. Commodore was a +1 with 4 PIM and 0 SOG. Mike has 6 points, all assists in 13 games, compared to 12 points in 41 games with Carolina + 2 points in 26 games with Ottawa last year.

Anyone watch the TOR-MTL game? What a brilliant game! Fast action, lots of goals, good stuff. TOR wins 6-3.

Every TOR game I watch, I get more and more impressed with Grabovski, that kid is some kind of talented. He and Hagman are a terrific team and are steady offense for the Leafs. I know it's early, but if those two can stay healthy, TOR may be able to ride them into the playoffs...

Anyone watch the TOR-MTL game? What a brilliant game! Fast action, lots of goals, good stuff. TOR wins 6-3.

Every TOR game I watch, I get more and more impressed with Grabovski, that kid is some kind of talented. He and Hagman are a terrific team and are steady offense for the Leafs. I know it's early, but if those two can stay healthy, TOR may be able to ride them into the playoffs...

Good win for Toronto.

Anyone just watch the shoot out with the Pens/Isles? Pens were up 1-0 in the final shot of the shoot out and an Islander shot the puck and it ended up inside Sabourrin (spelling?) pad, but the pad was over the line. The reviewed it and Toronto called it a no goal because they didnt actually see the puck even though it was over the line in the pad.

That had to be a first :o

Both Tampa Bay and Washington (with 2 games in hand on us) won tonight. Washington moves up to 16 pts, TB to 14 pts. This makes tommorows game with Atlanta even more crucial, even though it was already a must win. Washington moves to 7-4-2, Tampa to 5-4-4.

As far as the toronto game, was there a bunch of disallowed goals at the beginning? I was following the yahoo box score, and in the first 3 minutes they had it as 4-0 Toronto with goals at like 47 seconds, 49 seconds, 2:15, 4:45 etc.. what happened there? Or did Yahoo just screw up? They never removed the goals from the box score, but the score changed to 1-0 and then proceeded from there. I follow the box scores for my fantasy team, but sometimes they put up some wierd stuff on there, not sure if that was real.. obviously all four were disallowed, did they even score or was someone at Yahoo just punching buttons? LOL...

Kevin Weekes unfortunaly ran into a beast known as the Detroit Red wings and lost 3-1. Commodore picked up an assist, a +1 and 4PIM in Columbus's 3-1 win over Calgary.

I used to say the same thing, but this game tonight has shown me the side to Grabovski you do not see.

If you watched the entire game...

Grabovski was standing in front of Carey Price (don't remember what period, 2nd I think) and Price gives him a little shove to get him out of his way Grabovski butt-ends Price where, as Don Cherry put it "the sun don't shine". Very very very dirty thing to do.

The Canadiens weren't going to put up with that, and pretty much attacked him the rest of the night. You must have seen the little scuffle between Sergei Kostitsyn and Grabovski at the end of the 3rd, SKosty's blood was boiling. He got a ten minute major I believe for it, he wanted to take Grabovski's head off.

Even Saku Koivu had enough of him and Saku is a man of few words. After hitting him he bent down over Grabovski who was sitting on the ice and gave him a few nasty words. It may have looked like an apology but it certainly wasn't.

I can honestly say the Leafs played an excellent game tonight, granted they played an absolutely horrible Montreal team, but pretty good. They've got a good energetic team on their hands, and they gave a real effort. I'm sure they were looking for that win after the Habs played them at the beginning of the season and left with a brutal 6-1 win. Congrats to them, though.

The Canadiens on the other hand, predictions and a few too many "best team in league" have gotten to their heads. They think they can cruise through a game and win, and that's not how it goes. They think they can only play 20 minutes and win, that's not how it goes either. Those guys were not skating, not playing defense, couldn't shoot the puck, couldn't stay out of the box, we had semi-good goaltending- if it wasn't for Carey Price this game would have been in the double digits easily. But it was just an overall terrible performance. I will have trouble standing up to my team when asked about tonight, because I do not have anything good to say about them.

Although as much as I criticize, I love this team, and I know they can do better. Tuesday night they have an important game against Ottawa and we will see whether they can be this amazing team everyone expects, or if they are just a joke.

Carbonneau after the game pretty much said he was embaressed of his team after this game, and I don't blame him. I hope the team hears that and I hope Carbo gives them hell and 20 skating drills in their next practice. They need to step up and be the team they have the potential to be.

I may be just a little angry. My apologies for that being so long.

I used to say the same thing, but this game tonight has shown me the side to Grabovski you do not see.

If you watched the entire game...

Grabovski was standing in front of Carey Price (don't remember what period, 2nd I think) and Price gives him a little shove to get him out of his way Grabovski butt-ends Price where, as Don Cherry put it "the sun don't shine". Very very very dirty thing to do.

I didn't see the first period, but I did see the replay when Cherry showed this, and you're right, that was very wrong to butt-end Price (even if Price's "sun don't shine" area has more padding then a drag queen's bra). He's talented enough that he doesn't need to resort to that type of thuggery.

The Canadiens weren't going to put up with that, and pretty much attacked him the rest of the night. You must have seen the little scuffle between Sergei Kostitsyn and Grabovski at the end of the 3rd, SKosty's blood was boiling. He got a ten minute major I believe for it, he wanted to take Grabovski's head off.

Even Saku Koivu had enough of him and Saku is a man of few words. After hitting him he bent down over Grabovski who was sitting on the ice and gave him a few nasty words. It may have looked like an apology but it certainly wasn't.

I saw these two, and I wasn't impressed with Kostitsyn's hit (those arms came way up). I also wasn't impressed by the two boards by MTL's Kostopoulos and Markov. I tend to believe those were bad frustration plays, but MTL is a better team than that. As for Koivu, I thought he handled it best (as usual). Go over and warn Grabovski that the team isn't going to take his *edit*...warning delivered and no penalty called.

They need to step up and be the team they have the potential to be.

I may be just a little angry. My apologies for that being so long.

I know what you mean, Whatthepuck, I was thinking the same thing about the Canes on Thursday night.

I didn't see the first period, but I did see the replay when Cherry showed this, and you're right, that was very wrong to butt-end Price (even if Price's "sun don't shine" area has more padding then a drag queen's bra). He's talented enough that he doesn't need to resort to that type of thuggery.

I saw these two, and I wasn't impressed with Kostitsyn's hit (those arms came way up). I also wasn't impressed by the two boards by MTL's Kostopoulos and Markov. I tend to believe those were bad frustration plays, but MTL is a better team than that. As for Koivu, I thought he handled it best (as usual). Go over and warn Grabovski that the team isn't going to take his *edit*...warning delivered and no penalty called.

Tom Kosto's hit wasn't very pretty. Van Ryn ends the game with a broken finger, broken nose and a concussion is what I've heard, and of course Kosto got thrown out of the game. A hit like that is very unlike Kosto so I don't think he intentionally meant to hurt this guy, but it happens, and it's not very pretty.

I'm thinking SKosty has some bad blood with Grabovski because I'm pretty sure that went a little beyond the hit.

Here's a quote I found in an article this morning that made me laugh, about Saku Koivu and Grabovski:

"He gave Mikhail some special advice," said Maple Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky, serving as Grabovski's Russian dressing-room translator. "Koivu told him something, but (Grabovski) doesn't want to say. Just some special advice he'll use in the future."

And here is the quote from Guy Carbonneau:

Tom Kosto's hit wasn't very pretty. Van Ryn ends the game with a broken finger, broken nose and a concussion is what I've heard, and of course Kosto got thrown out of the game. A hit like that is very unlike Kosto so I don't think he intentionally meant to hurt this guy, but it happens, and it's not very pretty.

I'm thinking SKosty has some bad blood with Grabovski because I'm pretty sure that went a little beyond the hit.

Here's a quote I found in an article this morning that made me laugh, about Saku Koivu and Grabovski:

And here is the quote from Guy Carbonneau:

Now that's terrible :(

I tried to watch this game online but it wouldnt let me.. even though it was available on CBC online it said it was "not available in my area"... sounds like I missed a heck of a game LOL....

I tried to watch this game online but it wouldnt let me.. even though it was available on CBC online it said it was "not available in my area"... sounds like I missed a heck of a game LOL....

Oh yes, you did.

Leafs vs Habs games are always very intense. I recommend watching the next time we get matched up because I have a feeling both teams will try to rip each other apart:) less hockey more boxing.

And I'm pretty sure when you go to any Canadian websites, like CBC, it's only available to Canadian viewers.