The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2008-09

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I still can't believe what's happening with the Devils. Man, it's too bad we couldn't have it work toward our advantage, LOL.

I dont think the devils have won since they lost to us last week.. they've lost what 3 in a row? And ugly ones at that? Ouch, check that.. they have lost 6 in a row. Including this 6-1 thrashing, the 3-0 loss at the hands of the Rangers.. the 2-1 come from behind loss to Carolina.. Started the streak with a 4-1 loss to Boston. And really if you look at it, it started with our win after Broduer beat the record.. the next night they blanked Minnesota 4-0, but then started this skid. They are 1-7-1 since Brodeur broke the record. OUCH.

As far as the Standings go, sure we slip to 6th with the Pens win, but they and Philly are both tied at 92, 1 point ahead of us, we win tomorrow night we jump them both to get 4th and an OTL, we tie them and could move up depending on tiebreaks. Buffalo gains 1 point, but they are still 5 back of 8th with 5 games left. They will be "mathematically eliminated" soon, if not already.

Tonights game vs the Rangers will be a fight for position. We are 6th with 91 they are 7th with 89. They cant over take us, but I assume if they win and tie us, they would take 6th due to some tiebreaker.. it seems we are always on the short end of that stick. We have more wins though and now they have no more games in hand, so perhaps we can hold 6th no matter what, but of course if we win, we jump up to 4th above Philly and Pitt, so "holding" 6th with a win is a moot point.

No other real games of interest tonight.. only other East team playing is Boston and win or lose for them we dont care.

The 3/6 matchup puts us against the Devils right now.. so I like that matchup. The sad thing is, I dont think we will drop to 7th to face Washington, and if we move up to 5th, we could face Jersey also if they lose the division to Philly (which may not be possible). Of course NJ is a good draw right now, and we have a history of knocking NJ out of the playoffs.. the way they are tanking and we've beat them twice, once at home once on the road.. i REALLY like that matchup.

Tonights game vs the Rangers will be a fight for position. We are 6th with 91 they are 7th with 89. They cant over take us, but I assume if they win and tie us, they would take 6th due to some tiebreaker.. it seems we are always on the short end of that stick. We have more wins though and now they have no more games in hand, so perhaps we can hold 6th no matter what, but of course if we win, we jump up to 4th above Philly and Pitt, so "holding" 6th with a win is a moot point.

We own the tiebreaker for wins. ;)

If the number of games played is equal, its points, wins, season series and goal differential to decide seeding order.

It's almost like while the Hurricanes have gotten better and better, the Devils just keep getting worse and worse.

It's funny, but when I posted that last night, I didn't realize how accurate this was. As EricNCSU posted, the Devil's losing streak started just about the time our winning streak began.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I still can't believe what's happening with the Devils. Man, it's too bad we couldn't have it work toward our advantage, LOL.

I wonder if the Devils fans have started a "Brodeur needs to retire" thread for their grizzled veteran who is obviously not playing like him self.

Glad to see Philly loses...while I do not want to play our way down to the 6th spot, playing the Devils right now would not be all that bad. Barring a total collapse I don't see Philly catching then.

The Devils are in full swoon. Flyers or Pens could catch them. I know a lot of people would like to see a Canes-Devils match up in playoffs, but I'd rather see the Canes face someone else for a change of pace.

The Devils are in full swoon. Flyers or Pens could catch them. I know a lot of people would like to see a Canes-Devils match up in playoffs, but I'd rather see the Canes face someone else for a change of pace.

I'm still liking a Canes/Caps matchup in the first round, but we can't get that if we stay in 4th. Thats ok though since if we stay in 4th we get home ice, so thats good regardless of who we would be facing.

A "WOW" from a western conference game last night.. In the St Louis win over Detroit.. David Backes scored his first hat trick, and to make it even harder to repeat he scored a 4th. How crazy is that? Never had a hat trick and then come out and score 4. We'll have to figure out a name for a 4 goal game lol.. OV has done it this year, Eric Staal has done it this year..

We really have to win our 4 remaining games to prevent us from slipping too far down as we are "sitting and waiting" like last year. The final game at new jersey could be a potential first round matchup. This weekends game against pittsburgh is a real likely first round matchup if we stay in the 4/5 spots. The games against the Isles and the Sabres we just need to make sure we keep the foot on the gas and dont take a night off.

I'm still liking a Canes/Caps matchup in the first round, but we can't get that if we stay in 4th. Thats ok though since if we stay in 4th we get home ice, so thats good regardless of who we would be facing.

A "WOW" from a western conference game last night.. In the St Louis win over Detroit.. David Backes scored his first hat trick, and to make it even harder to repeat he scored a 4th. How crazy is that? Never had a hat trick and then come out and score 4. We'll have to figure out a name for a 4 goal game lol.. OV has done it this year, Eric Staal has done it this year..

We really have to win our 4 remaining games to prevent us from slipping too far down as we are "sitting and waiting" like last year. The final game at new jersey could be a potential first round matchup. This weekends game against pittsburgh is a real likely first round matchup if we stay in the 4/5 spots. The games against the Isles and the Sabres we just need to make sure we keep the foot on the gas and dont take a night off.

Yea we do have to keep our foot on the gas...last season 95 got you in...this season it looks like at least 98 or so will be needed to safely secure a spot.

Just thought I'd take a quick look at how the

other teams are doing. Flyers taking care of business 5-0 in the first over Leafs.

Florida v Atlanta 0-0 in the 1st. Good Game

I saw Nj is losing again.

Just thought I'd take a quick look at how the

other teams are doing. Flyers taking care of business 5-0 in the first over Leafs.

Florida v Atlanta 0-0 in the 1st. Good Game

I saw Nj is losing again.

I have no idea how .... but Philly (only one point behind us, and two games in hand) is already up 5-0 over Toronto at the end of the 1st period. Yes, only the first period. Not good, people.

Tampa Bay is contributing to the Devils ongoing freefall with a score of 1-0 at the end of the 1st for that game.

And, believe it or not, Buffalo over Washington 2-1 at the end of the 1st.

(Sorry OBX'er, we must have posted at the same time.)

I have no idea how .... but Philly (only one point behind us, and two games in hand) is already up 5-0 over Toronto at the end of the 1st period. Yes, only the first period. Not good, people.

Tampa Bay is contributing to the Devils ongoing freefall with a score of 1-0 at the end of the 1st for that game.

Geez... we can't buy a break. I guess will just have to do it ourselves

Geez... we can't buy a break. I guess will just have to do it ourselves

No problem. I didn't have slugs v Caps score

No problem. I didn't have slugs v Caps score

How the heck did Philly get 5 goals in one period?? yow.gif

I only saw a couple minutes of the game.

Saw the score and turned it off but the Flyers

were taking it to them from what I saw.

How the heck did Philly get 5 goals in one period?? yow.gif

I only saw a couple minutes of the game.

Saw the score and turned it off but the Flyers

were taking it to them from what I saw.

Washington has already caught up, and passed Buffalo .... currently 3-2 at the beginning of the 2nd period. (Guess we knew it was just a matter of time before that happened.)

No score after one in the Thrash v Kitty Cats.

Stillman is really skating with a lot of energy for Florida but the Thrash is holding their own

Stillman is really skating with a lot of energy for Florida but the Thrash is holding their own

Washington has already caught up, and passed Buffalo .... currently 3-2 at the beginning of the 2nd period. (Guess we knew it was just a matter of time before that happened.)

OK..Lets get the Slugs out of this mix.

OK..Lets get the Slugs out of this mix.

I'm surprised there's still no score for that game ....... in the meanwhile, Philly just made it 6-0. Unbelievable.

And TBL just scored again to make it 2-0 over the Devils ..... man, I'm almost feeling sorry for Marty. This has got to be embarassing, LOL.

I'm surprised there's still no score for that game ....... in the meanwhile, Philly just made it 6-0. Unbelievable.

And TBL just scored again to make it 2-0 over the Devils ..... man, I'm almost feeling sorry for Marty. This has got to be embarassing, LOL.

Lets just hope Marty isn't resting up for

the playoffs.

Lets just hope Marty isn't resting up for

the playoffs.