The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Out of Town Scores 2008-09

Columbus just clinched their first ever playoff birth by going into OT with the Blackhawks. Even though the game is still going on, Columbus only needed one point to clinch. Good for them :]

Congrats to Columbus on their first ever franchise playoff appearance... that has to be exciting for the team and the fans. Carolina's first appearance (as the Hurricanes, the Whalers made it a couple times) ended up in the Finals so ya never know what could happen!

Yeah, what a shame we have to be the ones to eliminate Buffalo... *oh bother* Sarcasm

Florida plays Atlanta tonight and can tie the Rangers with a win. The Rangers have to play Philly for their playoff lives.. Will the Islanders get nasty and frustrated against the Pens after the Raleigh beatdown or will they roll over and give up? If we win tonight, a Philly win will keep them tied with us, but will also give Florida a chance in the playoffs, so at this point, do we want Philly to win or lose? I think if the Rangers beat Philly they eliminate Buffalo whether Buffalo wins our game or not. A pittsburgh win can either tie us (if we lose) or keep them two points behind us (of we win), so a win tonight over the slugs and we are still controlling our own destiny. Philly loses and we hold 4th alone.

Congrats to Columbus on their first ever franchise playoff appearance... that has to be exciting for the team and the fans. Carolina's first appearance (as the Hurricanes, the Whalers made it a couple times) ended up in the Finals so ya never know what could happen!

Yeah, what a shame we have to be the ones to eliminate Buffalo... *oh bother* Sarcasm

Florida plays Atlanta tonight and can tie the Rangers with a win. The Rangers have to play Philly for their playoff lives.. Will the Islanders get nasty and frustrated against the Pens after the Raleigh beatdown or will they roll over and give up? If we win tonight, a Philly win will keep them tied with us, but will also give Florida a chance in the playoffs, so at this point, do we want Philly to win or lose? I think if the Rangers beat Philly they eliminate Buffalo whether Buffalo wins our game or not. A pittsburgh win can either tie us (if we lose) or keep them two points behind us (of we win), so a win tonight over the slugs and we are still controlling our own destiny. Philly loses and we hold 4th alone.

Actually, Carolina's first appearance happened in the 98-99 season. Won the SE, but lost the first round series to the Bruins, 4-2. Then we made it again in 2000-2001, and lost in the first round to the Devils, 4-2. Wasn't until our 3rd playoff appearance that we made it to the Finals.

As for the rest, I'm still holding out hope that the Panthers can make the playoffs, but it doesn't look good. I'll be cheering for the Cats tonight, nonetheless. Obviously, the Islanders need to win, no matter how unlikely that is. And I want Philly to win, if only because their win gives the smallest chance that they'll take the division and we'll face the Devils in the first round.

Actually, Carolina's first appearance happened in the 98-99 season. Won the SE, but lost the first round series to the Bruins, 4-2. Then we made it again in 2000-2001, and lost in the first round to the Devils, 4-2. Wasn't until our 3rd playoff appearance that we made it to the Finals.

As for the rest, I'm still holding out hope that the Panthers can make the playoffs, but it doesn't look good. I'll be cheering for the Cats tonight, nonetheless. Obviously, the Islanders need to win, no matter how unlikely that is. And I want Philly to win, if only because their win gives the smallest chance that they'll take the division and we'll face the Devils in the first round.

You beat me to it.. I was just about to correct myself. :lol:

Its interesting to look back at those old records and see how 86 points in 98 (34-30-18(T)) was the division leader, but the next year 2 less points, 84, but more wins and less ties (37-35-10) was out of the playoffs. Also, 88 and 91 got us into the playoffs in 01 and 02, but the last two years 88 and 92 respectively have been "Out of Playoffs" We had 112 points the year we won the Cup.. and I think this year we can max out at 99?

You beat me to it.. I was just about to correct myself. :lol:

Its interesting to look back at those old records and see how 86 points in 98 (34-30-18(T)) was the division leader, but the next year 2 less points, 84, but more wins and less ties (37-35-10) was out of the playoffs. Also, 88 and 91 got us into the playoffs in 01 and 02, but the last two years 88 and 92 respectively have been "Out of Playoffs" We had 112 points the year we won the Cup.. and I think this year we can max out at 99?

101, actually. Would be nice to break that century mark again.

You'd prefer we lose the chance at home ice advantage for the small chance of us facing the Devils in the first round?

You'd prefer we lose the chance at home ice advantage for the small chance of us facing the Devils in the first round?

It looks like Philly can over take NJ, but only if NJ loses their last 2 (stays at 102) and Philly wins all of their last three (they can reach 103).. That would drop NJ to 4th and Carolina to 5th (101 max)... Sure we lose the home ice, which we can't get anyway if we lose one or philly wins all theirs, but NJ is a good first round matchup.. we have beaten them the last two times we've played them, they are stumbling down the stretch, and we have a good chance to beat them on Saturday as Broduer will probably sit.

Personally I do like the NJ matchup better then the Philly matchup. Also, our chances of getting 4th are slim at best. We have to win both our last games and have Philly lose one. Our last two games are against Buffalo and NJ, which will be considerably more difficult then philly's final 3 games (Rangers, Isles, Rangers). However, if Philly we tie, we will have the tiebreaker (47 wins vs 45 wins).

Also, in my humble opinion.. the way we are playing lately home ice doesnt matter... we can win just as easily on the road as at home.

If it means avoiding Philly in the first round, yeah. Think about it this way:

We get the home ice advantage and face Philly in the first round. We fight hard against them, but lose in 6. Which gives us 3 home games, and a first round exit.

Or

We lose out on the home ice, but face a struggling Devils team in the first round. We dominate all facets of the game and win in 5. Gives us the 3 home games, and at least 2 home games in the 2nd round.

If it means avoiding Philly in the first round, yeah. Think about it this way:

We get the home ice advantage and face Philly in the first round. We fight hard against them, but lose in 6. Which gives us 3 home games, and a first round exit.

Or

We lose out on the home ice, but face a struggling Devils team in the first round. We dominate all facets of the game and win in 5. Gives us the 3 home games, and at least 2 home games in the 2nd round.

Good points, by both you and EricNCSU, thanks. I guess I just got so swept up in the whole race for home-ice, I didn't think about how that could actually end up playing out.

So do we want NY or PHI to win tonight?? :huh:

Still pulling for the Cats. Like to see 3 SE teams in.

I'm going for the Rangers. Gotta try and get that home ice advantage.

I'm also with you on Florida. I'm hoping Montreal loses out and Florida wins out so we can get three SE teams in.

What a brawl going on between Montreal and Boston... check out this penalty summary at the end of the 2nd, 4-3 mtl:

Penalty Summary

1st Period

Boston tripping - 2 min 2:45, M. Stuart

Boston holding - 2 min 9:55, M. Stuart

Boston roughing - 2 min 13:45, M. Lucic

Montreal roughing - 2 min 13:45, M. Komisarek

Montreal roughing - 2 min 17:58, J. Gorges

Montreal cross check - 2 min 19:13, R. Hamrlik

Boston roughing - 2 min 20:00, Z. Chara served by B. Bitz

Boston roughing - 2 min 20:00, Z. Chara

Montreal roughing - 2 min 20:00, M. Komisarek

2nd Period

Boston roughing - 2 min 3:55, S. Thornton

Montreal roughing - 2 min 3:55, R. O'Byrne served by G. Latendresse

Montreal roughing - 2 min 3:55, R. O'Byrne

Montreal misconduct - 10 min 3:55, R. O'Byrne

Boston interference with goaltender - 2 min 6:06, B. Bitz

Boston roughing - 2 min 6:06, M. Lucic

Boston fighting - 5 min 6:06, S. Hnidy

Montreal roughing - 2 min 6:06, J. Gorges

Montreal fighting - 5 min 6:06, M. Lapierre

Montreal interference - 2 min 8:12, M. Komisarek

Boston slashing - 2 min 8:12, M. Lucic served by M. Ryder

Boston roughing - 2 min 8:12, M. Lucic

Boston misconduct - 10 min 8:12, M. Lucic

Boston roughing - 2 min 8:12, S. Thornton

And Buffalo is out, I believe, with the Rangers win.

Yeah.. the win against us doesn't matter.. they will be 4 points back with 1 game left.

Oh.. and with that Rangers clinch a spot. Only 8th left up for grabs between Montreal and Florida. Florida is 1 point back with 1 game remaining with the win tonight against Atl.. Montreal is currently tied with Boston 4-4.. if Montreal wins they clinch.

In terms of the EC seedings, I believe the top three and the bottom two seeds are set. The next two days will determine the fourth through sixth seeds. Would love for the Canes to secure fourth and home ice but I don't believe this is likely. But considering that at the begining of March the Canes looked as if they were golf-course bound it has been an amazing turnaround.