The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

The NEXT Winter Classic

I say it will be at Boston's Fenway with the Bruins playing the Hurricanes who will be wearing Whalers jerseys done up in Hurricane Red and Black as a rekindling of that Boston - Hartford rivalry. :)

Well, that

I say it will be at Boston's Fenway with the Bruins playing the Hurricanes who will be wearing Whalers jerseys done up in Hurricane Red and Black as a rekindling of that Boston - Hartford rivalry. :)

I would love to see the Canes wearing the Hartford jerseys, but oddly enough they aren't a property of our franchise. Their rights are held by someone else, and thats why we can never wear them. The owner won't even let EA Sports put them in any of their NHL series games, even though EA has about every other jersey you could ask for (Seals, North Stars, Nordiques, New Jersey's retro blue jersey, etc.)

I have mostly seen that it would be Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia >.>

all Honesty

I would love to see the Hurricanes in one, but, this is just me, but I doubt we will see them in one any time soon =/

Bruins vs Rangers sounds interesting though

I'd love to see a game at Fenway Park but I'm kinda biased. Fenway is smaller than Wrigley so the views from the stands should be closer to the action. I wonder if they'll need to bring in a Canadian team since they havent had one participate yet. Boston and Montreal are big rivals dating back for decades and would make a great New Year's game but Boston/Rangers brings out the Boston/NY rivalry beetween the cities.

I'd love to see a game at Fenway Park but I'm kinda biased. Fenway is smaller than Wrigley so the views from the stands should be closer to the action. I wonder if they'll need to bring in a Canadian team since they havent had one participate yet. Boston and Montreal are big rivals dating back for decades and would make a great New Year's game but Boston/Rangers brings out the Boston/NY rivalry beetween the cities.

I doubt the Canadiens will be playing in one anytime soon, although I know the fans would be crazy about bringing one of the games to Montreal, and see them play the Leafs which would be amazing considering the rivalry between those two.

Although if you don't remember, the Heritage Classic was held outdoors in 2003 and that was two Canadian teams- the Oilers and Canadiens. The name of the park escapes me right now..

I'm thinking Minnesota, but Boston would be pretty sweet too. I heard something about Yankee Stadium the other day aswell.

ESPN is reporting the next Winter Classic might be Flyers vs Rangers, but at Penn State. Awesome !

This would be GREAT for me. I actually have family there and a brother and sister in law that work at Penn State. I vote "Flyers,Rangers at Penn State" Where is the line for tickets

ESPN is reporting the next Winter Classic might be Flyers vs Rangers, but at Penn State. Awesome !

To keep the Winter Classic out of the market that is New York is ludicrous, as far as I'm concerned. If the Rangers play in a WC, it ought to be held in NYC. The papers would eat it up.

Should be Rangers versus Bruins in the new Yankee Stadium or something.

Not saying that Penn State wouldn't be able to support it, as the Flyers have one hell of a devoted fanbase, but a Winter Classic in NYC would draw so much publicity for the league.

3 have been played. the states have had 2 and Canada has had 1. so lets send it back to Canada. Calgary vs Vancouver would be great to watch.

from what i have read those two cities have only a lukewarm interest in it, my thought would be Montreal or Toronto.

You'd have to be nuts to have lukewarm interest, you get the revenue of 2-3 games in 1 with the bigger stadium unless I missed something on that.

The whole point of the Winter Classic is to generate interest in the States. Having two Canadian teams won't do that. Not to mention, there are very few open stadiums in Canada.

If they want the best revenue, make it New York vs. Boston next year.

To me the logical place would be NYC around the Allstar game. They could have the Rangers and Islanders each have a home game and then have the Allstar game. Going to all that trouble to have one game seems a bit crazy to me.

Though they could have it in a nuetral city/stadium and draw from the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Capitals and Flyers fanbase.

Though I don't know the West Coast and Canadians may have a problem with it. Though it is the Eastern Conferences turn I guess.

I think.....

The NHL should build a temporary stadium (Using PGA Bleachers) at the Washington Mall, between the Washington Monument and Capital Building. Maybe even have the new Prez drop the puck.

Capitals Vs. Hurricanes

I think.....

The NHL should build a temporary stadium (Using PGA Bleachers) at the Washington Mall, between the Washington Monument and Capital Building. Maybe even have the new Prez drop the puck.

Capitals Vs. Hurricanes

I was just saying to someone that they could freeze the water between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial too. That would be pretty sweet. Though the NHL would never invite the Hurricanes.

I was just saying to someone that they could freeze the water between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial too. That would be pretty sweet. Though the NHL would never invite the Hurricanes.

While sweet, what are you going to do for stands?

I'd love to see it at Fenway. The only way the Canes get in is if Staal asserts himself as a star in the likes of Crosby or Ovechkin or if they put it in Washington and the Caps/Canes rivalry really, really, really heats up to become a widely known rivalry.

Seeing the Canes at Fenway would be great, but I doubt it'd happen. I would love to see the Whalers jerseys come back for a game a year, but yeah, the franchise doesn't own the rights to them anymore. They were on NHL 2001, but can't be on games anymore either.

The final numbers are in, and this year's NHL Winter Classic drew the best NHL television ratings in 34 years!

Post-lockout, the League is doing many more things right then wrong. Hopefully the trend will continue and they won't overmilk the Winter Classic golden cow.

I've read several articles that said an outdoor game in Canada would be TOO cold and the ice conditions would be terrible. The ice tech in Chicago even mentioned they were worried about it being too cold rather then too warm. Like was mentioned earlier as well, not many "outdoor" arenas in Canada for that very reason. Weather wise, I think the Northern/Midwest US is about as good as its gonna get... That leaves plenty of places though (assuming football and baseball stadiums) - New York City, New Jersey, Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago (X), Buffalo (X), Minneapolis, Kansas City, St Louis etc etc...

Can they make ice in a warm place? Obviously they played a game in Vegas.. but I dont think they'll ever host one in Florida or California... the snow falling may make for nasty ice conditions but it adds a certain ambience to the game. Probably the only way Carolina would get to play in a Winter Classic would be if one year we won another Stanley Cup, and they either decided to set up the last two winners (Say Carolina vs Detroit) or another O6 team going up against the reigning champs would be considered a "big" game... As it is, its very unlikely.

You are not going to see Carolina in a winter classic. Ya'll need to let go of that hope, maybe when the team has 20 years under it's belt.

The Whalers mighta saw a Winter Classic, but not the Canes... the location, lack of age in the league, lack of a long lasting foe.

Looks like it will in fact be Fenway

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2009/04/10/bruins_to_host_winter_classic/' target="_blank">Link[/post]

No word yet on who the Bruins will face but I would guess either the Habs or Rangers.

My money is on the Habs, best way to get a Canadian team involved and one with a huge rivalry.