The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Buffalo Sabres Owner Moving to Florida

Buffalo Sabres Tom Golisano announced late last week that http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S930600.shtml?cat=566' target="_blank">he is moving to Florida[/post] saying he's had it with New York State taxes. He said the new state budget would have cost him about $5 million in income taxes this year alone versus nothing in Florida. His personal move is not expected to impact the Sabres.

Well, that's one of the reasons I moved down here, oh say, 15 years ago. The man's an idiot for not moving before. Taxes have always been high there. And combined with the fact that I lived in Jerzy and communted to The City, I got hit with not only Jerzy taxes but NYC out of state resident taxes.

If you don't count the economy, the rusting and delapitated buildings, the taxes, endless winters and the Bills then Buffalo isn't that bad.

Buffalo is like a lot of cities. It is what you make of it. Personally, the people there are among the best you'll meet. Plus its great to go to games in an actual hockey town where the fans are knowledgeable, passionate and know how to pack an arena before May. I can see how some people would be miserable in Buffalo, especially if they have a difficult time handling the cold. Personally, I love it, and would like to move back ASAP.

Buffalo is like a lot of cities. It is what you make of it. Personally, the people there are among the best you'll meet. Plus its great to go to games in an actual hockey town where the fans are knowledgeable, passionate and know how to pack an arena before May. I can see how some people would be miserable in Buffalo, especially if they have a difficult time handling the cold. Personally, I love it, and would like to move back ASAP.

Sure, which why going to Canes games in Chicago in March is a nice road trip.

I'm sure you are saying the above with all due respect, and not taking unnecessary jabs at us Caniacs on our own board? That would be disrespectful and really bad manners.

And as my day used to say before I graduated HS and railed on about wanting to move out: Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Sure, which why going to Canes games in Chicago in March is a nice road trip.

I'm sure you are saying the above with all due respect, and not taking unnecessary jabs at us Caniacs on our own board? That would be disrespectful and really bad manners.

And as my day used to say before I graduated HS and railed on about wanting to move out: Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

It wasn't a jab, just a fact. As a northern city close to Canada, hockey is ingrained in the culture of the city, it's just different to go to games in an arena, and an area where people spend their childhood growing up playing the game. I'd imagine it would be even more pronounced in a Canadian city.

It wasn't a jab, just a fact. As a northern city close to Canada, hockey is ingrained in the culture of the city, it's just different to go to games in an arena, and an area where people spend their childhood growing up playing the game. I'd imagine it would be even more pronounced in a Canadian city.

Hmmm, as a former Hawks devotee and Chicagolander, it was ingrained in me as well. Nice to see what a great owner can do for a club.

To kind of get back on topic here... I thought that while taxes were cheaper down there, but the cost of living was generally higher. Wouldn't it even out a bit?

No. Cost of living is still lower than northern zip codes.

Interesting. I'm trying to remember my travels south. I've spent more time in NC than any other state except for New York. I would imagine that on average the cost of living down there is much lower, but in the urban areas it might even out a bit more since city living is typically more expensive.

Interesting. I'm trying to remember my travels south. I've spent more time in NC than any other state except for New York. I would imagine that on average the cost of living down there is much lower, but in the urban areas it might even out a bit more since city living is typically more expensive.

Still lower than Chicago and NYC metro area. My in laws live in a sleepy town in Jerzy 40 minutes from midtown. Their house is a SMALL capecod 3 BR, 1BA, basement. Tiny lot. Built in the late 1940's. Houses like that are going for $325,000 with property taxes of $4800/yr. Oye!

Raleigh taxes on a comparable house would be half that. And that house is much newer, nicer, and possibly a larger lot.

There is NO comparison. Better living down here.

Still lower than Chicago and NYC metro area. My in laws live in a sleepy town in Jerzy 40 minutes from midtown. Their house is a SMALL capecod 3 BR, 1BA, basement. Tiny lot. Built in the late 1940's. Houses like that are going for $325,000 with property taxes of $4800/yr. Oye!

Raleigh taxes on a comparable house would be half that. And that house is much newer, nicer, and possibly a larger lot.

There is NO comparison. Better living down here.

I have relatives in Lexington and New Bern, I should ask them how it is.

To kind of get back on topic here... I thought that while taxes were cheaper down there, but the cost of living was generally higher. Wouldn't it even out a bit?
For NC, the cheaper tax thing is not quite the bargain as may be thought. While the Southeast has a lot lower tax burden than the Northeast, NC is usually ranked as the highest tax state in the region (though Georgia recently passed NC). The problem for NC seems to be as folks from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and the like move to NC, a lot of them bring their politics with them and NC

I'm from Western New York and I live in Orlando and I have found that is not the case. Housing is more expensive and whatever you save on heat you more than spend on air conditioning for eight solid months.

Sure, taxes are lower, and you see the results of that. Little in the way of public services and an abysmal school system. Florida has sunshine and low taxes, but it is not a place I would recommend that someone with a family move to.

I'm from Western New York and I live in Orlando and I have found that is not the case. Housing is more expensive and whatever you save on heat you more than spend on air conditioning for eight solid months.

Sure, taxes are lower, and you see the results of that. Little in the way of public services and an abysmal school system. Florida has sunshine and low taxes, but it is not a place I would recommend that someone with a family move to.

Well, there's your problem. Florida is one of the states with an outrageous cost of living, because of all the snowbirds that have gone or moved there the past 30-odd years. When you're talking about things in the "South", Florida is pretty much automatically not included other than actual location because it is so different from the rest of the region for nearly everything.

The cost of living in NC, which is what is being talked about, is much lower than most northern areas. Especially New York. Salaries are typically lower because your dollar goes further, housing prices are lower, etc.

Taxes vary greatly, too, depending on what is being taxed. In some states food and clothing aren't taxed, for example, yet they are in NC. Also, NC has the highest state tax on gasoline for most of the southeastern region of the US. There's a gas station I go to where most of the east coast is listed and only West Virginia is higher.

Many will blame income taxes being higher in NC than most of the rest of the region because the state is more "progressive", which is only partly true. It's also because the state has been extremely pro-business since about the 1950's, and corporate taxes are kept to a minimum while personal income taxes pick up the slack. That's just a nutshell of the history of NC politics, though.

If the situation were reversed and It cost more to live here than buffalo, I would still live here.

Can't put a price on having seasons with the mountains and beach no more than 2 or 3 hours away if you're in the piedmont.