The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KeyWestCorona

Jack Johnson...starting to slip off the radar

JJ is going to be a great player IMO. The Kings have a very young defensive core and lost the veteran Rob Blake to free agency. They've drafted very well for several seasons now and at some point when the defense matures, they will be very good. And also when they find the answer to all their goalie issues.

Dmen can take a fair amount of time to develop at this level (ie: Pitkanen), so it's way too early to write JJ off. As far as the best move comment, really can't say until we see what JJ turns into and see how Gleason progresses for us. At least it enabled us to shed Tverdovsky's contract :)

Eh...I'd rather leave this one alone until there's a clear cut winner with the deal.

BTW, hctimo, you should start doing your chart of our points again for this season, I liked following it last year.

Any word on how serious the "upper extremity" injury he received last night is?
"Sources tell TSN that L.A. King defenceman Jack Johnson is likely to miss as much as three months as a result of what appeared to be an arm injury suffered in last night's loss to the San Jose Sharks."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252539&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252539&amp...=headlines_main[/post]

The 21-year-old played in 74 games in 2007/08 but missed the last seven with a fractured right foot. Johnson scored three goals with eight assists and was minus-19 for the Kings last season.

Wow.

The 21-year-old played in 74 games in 2007/08 but missed the last seven with a fractured right foot. Johnson scored three goals with eight assists and was minus-19 for the Kings last season.

Wow.

-19 on that Kings team is about a -3 everywhere else.

I think JJ will turn out to be a good Dman, how good I dont know. But we can't cry over it because HE did not want to play here...END OF STORY!!!!

Atleast we got Gleason out of it, which is great. JJ could have sat and went back into the draft and we would have nothing to show for a #1 pick.

Eh...I'd rather leave this one alone until there's a clear cut winner with the deal.

BTW, hctimo, you should start doing your chart of our points again for this season, I liked following it last year.

thx for the reminder, I totally forgot about the link in my signature! I'll start it back up when November comes around.

Jury is still out...heck, i see a new attribute in gleason every year it seems. Jack Johnson has a long time to develop at defense.

Belanger however turned out to be a dud for us. Also its tough to rate the fact that we got to ditch tverdovsky, cause we definitely used the money we saved from his salary to keep a key player.

I still wouldn't rank this trade with the Justin Williams trade or anything though.

Williams was a classic example of blind robbery

You're right, I must be blind. I didn't see him play many games last year and can't seem to locate him skating around thus far this season either.

sarcasm

You're right, I must be blind. I didn't see him play many games last year and can't seem to locate him skating around thus far this season either.

sarcasm

He can't be blamed for dangerous workouts like running. :blink:

I remember how much panic there was among Hurricanes fans that we were trading away another Chris Pronger when we sent Jack Johnson away 2 years ago. Truthfully, JJ hasn't showed us much of the "can't miss" talent he was advertised as having. I am not sure if its just because he plays for an awful team or (as I suspect) he just doesn't have the heart to play at this level. There is no room anymore for primadona blue liners in the NHL. JJ needs to show he has some grit or heart this season, or I am officially declaring that trade the best move Carolina has made in ages.

I decided to come back and revisit this topic as I have now looked at the late season stats for the Kings and have noticed that JJ has managed to be tied among his team's defensemen for the worst +/- with a -17...and he managed to to it in only half the games.

I decided to come back and revisit this topic as I have now looked at the late season stats for the Kings and have noticed that JJ has managed to be tied among his team's defensemen for the worst +/- with a -17...and he managed to to it in only half the games.

Well, judging from the icetime he's gotten since he's returned from his injury, he came back and immediately started playing the top pairing again. Tell me, do you believe it's a good idea to put a defenseman that's missed half the season on the top defensive pairing? The correct answer is no.

And then there's the whole: He's 22 thing. Because clearly, all great defensemen have shown themselves to be great by that age. He's already well past his prime, and is clearly just a bust.

Well, judging from the icetime he's gotten since he's returned from his injury, he came back and immediately started playing the top pairing again. Tell me, do you believe it's a good idea to put a defenseman that's missed half the season on the top defensive pairing? The correct answer is no.

And then there's the whole: He's 22 thing. Because clearly, all great defensemen have shown themselves to be great by that age. He's already well past his prime, and is clearly just a bust.

which makes the deal for Timmy all the sweeter!!

Totally agree :lol:

How about we revisit this thread after 18 years?