The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

The 2009 NHL Entry Draft

I don't see that happening. Both the Islanders and Tampa Bay seem intent on keeping their spots. There's really not much Burke could offer them in the first place.

I don't see that happening. Both the Islanders and Tampa Bay seem intent on keeping their spots. There's really not much Burke could offer them in the first place.

I could see Tampa trading their spot away, their GM's are pretty ridiculous.

I just looked at some NHL.com mock drafts, and they have us taking Rundblad, or Elliot. I'm doubting Rundblad because JR doesn't draft too many Europeans (and I'm sure most of our finnish players wouldn't be too excited about taking a Swede with our 1st pick :P )

I am kind of curious about this year, because for the first time in a while, we have pretty good depth at most positions. Though If I were JR I would try for a RW because I think we don't have much depth there. Zach Budish is possible, though the knee injury gives me doubts. However he is only 18, so he should heal faster and he could have time to get his game back with 2 or so years in the NCAA before he comes to the AHL, or to the Canes.

Olsen is a little raw, but I like his size and physical play. I would love to have Elliot but no way is he available at the 27th pick. Frogg, you are right, Ferraro does have JR written all over it, but I see him going D in the first round.

Olsen is a little raw, but I like his size and physical play. I would love to have Elliot but no way is he available at the 27th pick. Frogg, you are right, Ferraro does have JR written all over it, but I see him going D in the first round.

Eh, I dunno about that last part. Would he really be willing to wait a more than a couple years before a Dman picked in the first round bears fruit at the NHL level? I think the self-imposed cap is enough to keep him from going D in round 1. Guess we'll see.

I just remembered that part of our deadline deal was basically swapping our 2nd round pick for Calgary's, 7 picks ahead of where ours would have been. Also we picked up Edmonton's 5th round pick and, if I remember correctly, we have Nashville's 5th rounder as part of Hordichuk not signing with us.

Ferraro won the fastest skater competition at the 2009 top prospects game. That, plus his pedigree probably gets him drafted before the 27th pick. If his knee really is 100%, Budish could be the definition of late first round steal and a big physical winger is something the Canes could use.

I like the Budish kid, the only problem I see with that, aside from the knee concern, is if him and Ruutu were on the ice they wouldn't know whether we were Buuuuing or Ruuing, this could lead to a lot of confusion amongst the players and could cause disfunction in the locker room. :ph34r:

I just realized the Oilers must be pretty mad about their second round pick. When they acquired it from us, we were borderline going to make the playoffs and we ended up in the Conference finals. lol, sucks for them.

This draft's been insane. So many picks being chosen much higher than they were initially ranked. Schroeder was anywhere from 10-15. Now Calgary's got a chance at him at 20.

EDIT: Or maybe the Devils do, since they apparently traded for Calgary's draft pick

I think it was Boomer on XM radio that stated that we should do our draft like other sports leagues. Theres no need to have all the GMs and various staff come up on stage, thank you for the hospitality, congratulate the Stanley cup Champ, then get to the pick. Just send a card to Gary and he annouces it and do the group photo elsewhere, OH!, and having to repeat all of the above in French for the local crowd just makes it even longer. Im not going to say anything about the draftees being congratulated about 30 people worth of seats on the way to the podium. This is after all , for them.