The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

The 2009 NHL Entry Draft

I also love the respect VS. (TSN) gave us during our pick, 1st they cut to commercial while we were on the clock. Then, while Francis is announcing the pick they are showing a shot of the scoreboard, and when finally Paradis went down to the stage they showed him for like 5 seconds. And all we got from Mackenzie and McGuire was about 5 words each that was it, while every other pick they talked about for like 5 minutes.

I also love the respect VS. (TSN) gave us during our pick, 1st they cut to commercial while we were on the clock. Then, while Francis is announcing the pick they are showing a shot of the scoreboard, and when finally Paradis went down to the stage they showed him for like 5 seconds. And all we got from Mackenzie and McGuire was about 5 words each that was it, while every other pick they talked about for like 5 minutes.

Quote for truth.

What happened was JR was driving down the road on the way to the draft when suddenly his window was blown out by a puck, he stopped the car and chased this kid down and made him shoot some pucks in an alley, he was so impressed he immediately decided to draft him. Well that's how it works in the movies anyway, right?

Haha. That actually made me LOL.

Meh, I'm willing to give this kid a shot.

Typical of VS

Why are people questioning our draft pick when we have players like Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter, and McBain working their way up to the NHL? This isnt JR's first draft, the man knows what he's doing. For once, lets try not to act like we somehow know more than our teams General Manager, unless one of you talked with all these kids, watched highlights of each of them, and talked with a team of scouts on each prospect. If you noticed no one else chose Ferraro either.

Honestly, i don't think Paradis will make team ever.

When disappointments comes, it's time to alcohol.

Wow, can I ask what you are basing this on?

He was projected to go lower than we took him and he wasn't a name being thrown around before the draft, so you automatically assume he's a bust? Why do you think he won't make the team? Can you give me what information you are basing this off of?

Why are people questioning our draft pick when we have players like Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter, and McBain working their way up to the NHL? This isnt JR's first draft, the man knows what he's doing. For once, lets try not to act like we somehow know more than our teams General Manager, unless one of you talked with all these kids, watched highlights of each of them, and talked with a team of scouts on each prospect. If you noticed no one else chose Ferraro either.

Because it looked like JR was getting his stuff together with Boychuk, Bowman, etc. This question seems like the move of the old JR, the JR who couldn't make a decent 1st round choice unless it was in the Top 5. Does the name Igor Knyazev ring a bell to anyone?

There's nothing against the player. I'm sure he'll be a quality NHL player some day. It's the position that we picked the player at. He said himself that he expected to be picked in the 2nd round at the earliest, and some mock drafts had him as low as the 4th. There was no reason to choose him this early in the draft.

There's nothing against the player. I'm sure he'll be a quality NHL player some day. It's the position that we picked the player at. He said himself that he expected to be picked in the 2nd round at the earliest, and some mock drafts had him as low as the 4th. There was no reason to choose him this early in the draft.

I agree with you here, especially with someone like Ferraro still available.

... especially with someone like Ferraro still available.

Ok, what makes Ferraro a much better NHL prospect? Mock drafts? His pedigree? A look at his stats (37G/55Pts at a whopping -23) tells me he is an opportunist and a big defensive liability, not something NHL managers and coaches might find promising. He also only played one game during the 09 playoffs (1GP 0Pts -2).

The 'less deserving' Paradis on the other hand seems well rounded. He had 19G/31A for 50Pts and was a +20 during the regular season and unlike Ferraro actually showed up during the 09 POs with 6G/6A for 12Pts and +2 in 21 games.

Just saying.

Today we will see some interesting picks to say the least. I, for one, am pleased with Paradis. He's not huge, but he is certainly bigger than alot of what we have already, and he probably has the hardest shot of anyone in the draft. Think Matt Cullen minus a bit of skill, but with alot more grit and a harder shot.

I think the best available player left in the draft is the Swift Current Bronco's Cody Eakin. It's true, he's smaller, and probably won't be available when we pick anyway, but I've watched him play all year and there is nothing this kid does poorly (except fight, but that's another story...)

Also, It's good to be back folks. Hi. :P

From a draft-blog yesterday:

Just spoke outside with Phillippe Paradis, a Center from Shawinigan of the QMJHL. Tall kid, over 6'2", very soft spoken.

When asked where he expected to be drafted he said "Perhaps the late first round, early 2nd round, I talked with 4 teams yesterday, the Hurricanes, Panthers, Devils and Maple Leafs"

He said he has no preference, just hoping to be drafted by a "good team"

Scouts compare his game to Jordan Caron.

Ok, what makes Ferraro a much better NHL prospect? Mock drafts? His pedigree? A look at his stats (37G/55Pts at a whopping -23) tells me he is an opportunist and a big defensive liability, not something NHL managers and coaches might find promising. He also only played one game during the 09 playoffs (1GP 0Pts -2).

The 'less deserving' Paradis on the other hand seems well rounded. He had 19G/31A for 50Pts and was a +20 during the regular season and unlike Ferraro actually showed up during the 09 POs with 6G/6A for 12Pts and +2 in 21 games.

Just saying.

This man just schooled you all

Just saying.

Red Deer has always been a poor team, Brandon Sutter had only 57 pts on that team the year we drafted him. Plus Shawinigan was a very good team this year, they got to a game 7 in the QMJHL finals so the +20 may be a little inflated for Paradis. What I have heard about Paradis though is that he never played 1st line minutes with Shawinigan this year, he got mostly 2nd or 3rd line minutes so 50 pts isn't bad for that ice time and quality of line mates.

This isnt JR's first draft, the man knows what he's doing.

I would say that is exactly why we are questioning it. History shows that when it comes to the draft JR does NOT know what he's doing. :unsure: In 15 years as GM, I can only think of 3 first round picks that have worked out for us - Ward, Staal, and Jeff O'Neill. He has had many more complete washouts than successes - David Tanabe, Igor Kynazev, Nikos Tselios, Jeff Hereema anybody? I won't even get into the whole Jack Johnson fiasco. The only bright spot with JR is that last year, it actually seemed like he knew what he was doing (Boychuk, Dalpe, Murphy.)

Despite my lack of faith in JR's drafting, I am not really upset with this pick. There is hardly any difference in talent between the guys ranked from 20 to 50 anyway. Its not like we had the 4th pick and took some kid ranked 30th or something. Kid looked pretty big and strong, compared to a lot of those other guys last night. We'll see I guess.

A poster from Quebec wrote something on the Hurricanes' Hockey's Future board about Paradis. I am reposting it here:

"ALright,

I know the guy very well he is been plaing here for 2 years. I know his parents as well.

Philippe Paradis is the total package. He is fast, drive hard to the net. He is a pure goal scorer. He got a really hard accurate shot. He won the hardest shot competition at the CHL prospect event. He has size, makes big hit. From the year i have been watching the LHJMQ, he is one of the best NHL prospect i have seen. This guy will make it to the NHL on a 1st or 2nd line. The only flaw in his game is that he is not mean at all. He takes big hit but he is not the kind of player that want to start a fight. He didnt have many points last year. It's mainly because he didnt had top minutes and powerplay time. HIs team was stacked as hell with some of the best scorer in the LHJMQ so he didnt play big minutes.

Anyway, i would have loved if the HABS had taking him. He is a really good kid, you dont have to worry if you havent seen him play."

So it turns out his numbers were low because he played on a stacked team and got little ice time/PP time. This is very encouraging IMO and I'd like to see what he can do next year with (presumably) more ice time. Remember, Bowman's numbers weren't very good in his draft year and then he exploded the next two seasons.

I would say that is exactly why we are questioning it. History shows that when it comes to the draft JR does NOT know what he's doing. :unsure: In 15 years as GM, I can only think of 3 first round picks that have worked out for us - Ward, Staal, and Jeff O'Neill. He has had many more complete washouts than successes - David Tanabe, Igor Kynazev, Nikos Tselios, Jeff Hereema anybody? I won't even get into the whole Jack Johnson fiasco. The only bright spot with JR is that last year, it actually seemed like he knew what he was doing (Boychuk, Dalpe, Murphy.)

Despite my lack of faith in JR's drafting, I am not really upset with this pick. There is hardly any difference in talent between the guys ranked from 20 to 50 anyway. Its not like we had the 4th pick and took some kid ranked 30th or something. Kid looked pretty big and strong, comparedA to a lot of those other guys last night. We'll see I guess.

Agreed with both points. JR's draft history is not good and only in the last few years has he looked like he's been putting together with the guys you mentioned plus others like Jamie McBain.

Not thrilled with the pick, but not upset about it after reading up on Paradis.

I dont follow the prospects at all but I have a couple of friends who do and they both agreed it was a great sleeper pick for Carolina. They both also said this kid fits the mold perfectly for this franchise, will fit in well over time and it wasnt surprising that JR made an unconventional type pick because the Hurricanes dont go about their business in conventional ways.

I thought it was an interesting observation about our team from outsiders that really know their hockey and follow the draft very closely all year long.

Just saying.

I'm not saying Ferraro is much better, or Paradis is a bad prospect at all. My point in the post was that in principle, I would rather us not reach at a projected second rounder, when we could trade back a few spots, still get him and grab an extra pick along the way. I shouldn't have added a name, and been more specific in my post.

Kind words about the Hurricanes from our second round pick:

"The 6-foot-3, 197-pound native of Biddeford, Maine, is headed to Boston College in the fall as a true freshman, where he will be joined by New York Rangers top selection Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass.). With a Sept. 1991 birthdate, Dumoulin is also one of the draft

I don't follow the prospects much. I couldn't pick a diamond in the rough if it

came with a certificate of authenticity. But it is apparent that JR is living up

to his word when he said he would use the draft to make the Hurricanes bigger.

I read the average height of our first three picks was a little over 6'2". I guess we

will know in four or five years if this works.

I don't follow the prospects much. I couldn't pick a diamond in the rough if it

came with a certificate of authenticity. But it is apparent that JR is living up

to his word when he said he would use the draft to make the Hurricanes bigger.

I read the average height of our first three picks was a little over 6'2". I guess we

will know in four or five years if this works.

A poster from Quebec wrote something on the Hurricanes' Hockey's Future board about Paradis. I am reposting it here:

"ALright,

I know the guy very well he is been plaing here for 2 years. I know his parents as well.

Philippe Paradis is the total package. He is fast, drive hard to the net. He is a pure goal scorer. He got a really hard accurate shot. He won the hardest shot competition at the CHL prospect event. He has size, makes big hit. From the year i have been watching the LHJMQ, he is one of the best NHL prospect i have seen. This guy will make it to the NHL on a 1st or 2nd line. The only flaw in his game is that he is not mean at all. He takes big hit but he is not the kind of player that want to start a fight. He didnt have many points last year. It's mainly because he didnt had top minutes and powerplay time. HIs team was stacked as hell with some of the best scorer in the LHJMQ so he didnt play big minutes.

Anyway, i would have loved if the HABS had taking him. He is a really good kid, you dont have to worry if you havent seen him play."

So it turns out his numbers were low because he played on a stacked team and got little ice time/PP time. This is very encouraging IMO and I'd like to see what he can do next year with (presumably) more ice time. Remember, Bowman's numbers weren't very good in his draft year and then he exploded the next two seasons.

I've got to admit that I'm making this comment in complete ignorance because I'm really not familiar enough with the prospects to pass judgement

...BUT...

What concerns me is the logic of his points being down because he wasn't a top line player and he was on a stacked team. If anybody is an NHL first round prospect, I would think that he would be one of the better players on his team at a lower level and not be playing behind a lot of guys. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm sure J.R. and the staff know more about this kind of thing than I do.

I will say this though, I like what I'm seeing size wise if nothing else. J.R. is trying to get bigger.

1 PHILIPPE PARADIS 6' 1" 196

2 BRIAN DUMOULIN 6' 3" 197

3 MATTIAS LINDSTROM 6' 4" 203

5 MATT KENNEDY 6' 2" 202

6 RASMUS RISSANEN 6' 2" 185