The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

The 2009 NHL Entry Draft

Ok, what makes Ferraro a much better NHL prospect? Mock drafts? His pedigree? A look at his stats (37G/55Pts at a whopping -23) tells me he is an opportunist and a big defensive liability, not something NHL managers and coaches might find promising. He also only played one game during the 09 playoffs (1GP 0Pts -2).

The 'less deserving' Paradis on the other hand seems well rounded. He had 19G/31A for 50Pts and was a +20 during the regular season and unlike Ferraro actually showed up during the 09 POs with 6G/6A for 12Pts and +2 in 21 games.

Just saying.

Now that I see that Ferraro was taken by some bottom feeder team with a lousy draft record, I think he was probably over rated anyway.

Just saying.

Snicker, snicker :P

Just a few updates here, RW Matt Kennedy ( 6'2, 202 lbs) taken in the 5th he was voted MVP of the Guelph Storm over 1st rounder Peter Holland. They played on the same line this year, and Kennedy skyrocketed from 23 to 73 pts. He seems to be always willing to drop the gloves and not to back down from anyone. He was also voted hardest working player in the OHL by the coaches this year.

Finnish Defenseman, Rasmus Rissanen was taken in the 6th (6'2, 185 lbs) He had a pretty good showing at the WJC's with 2 assists and +3. Very physical defenseman, mostly said to be a tough stay at home defenseman but he has a good outlet pass and a decent shot.

We're definitely drafting for size, and I am really glad with all of our picks so far. After reading a bit more about Paradis, I am still a little shaky but am much more hopeful that he will break out next year like Bowman did.

Crazy or not, i like our new players.

For Paradis i don't know too much but seems very nice kid who will works very hard to be good NHL player. Reminds me for Cole who should be one of the best power forward but this goddamnit injuries :(. Give time for Paradis.

Dumoulin will be steal. One of ours the best prospect for next few years. Reminds me for Whitney who i likes a lot.

Kennedy plays with heart in every seconds. Our next fan-favourite.

For others i don't know but likes this.

I'm pretty ok with the remainder of our draft picks. I don't know how successful a lot of them will be in the future, but at the worst, we'll have a really big 4th line sometime soon.

Still, considering a lot of the players I'd like to have grabbed instead of Paradis went early in the 2nd, it tells me they could have just as easily been taken late in the 1st. Ferraro grabbed by the Wings (because they clearly don't know what they're doing at the draft), Klingberg by Atlanta, Shore by Florida (hurrah for watching our divisional rivals improve while we...)

Sigh. Guess I'll just hope FA goes better than this draft did.

Kind words about the Hurricanes from our second round pick:

"The 6-foot-3, 197-pound native of Biddeford, Maine, is headed to Boston College in the fall as a true freshman, where he will be joined by New York Rangers top selection Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass.). With a Sept. 1991 birthdate, Dumoulin is also one of the draft

I've got to admit that I'm making this comment in complete ignorance because I'm really not familiar enough with the prospects to pass judgement

...BUT...

What concerns me is the logic of his points being down because he wasn't a top line player and he was on a stacked team. If anybody is an NHL first round prospect, I would think that he would be one of the better players on his team at a lower level and not be playing behind a lot of guys. Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm sure J.R. and the staff know more about this kind of thing than I do.

I will say this though, I like what I'm seeing size wise if nothing else. J.R. is trying to get bigger.

1 PHILIPPE PARADIS 6' 1" 196

2 BRIAN DUMOULIN 6' 3" 197

3 MATTIAS LINDSTROM 6' 4" 203

5 MATT KENNEDY 6' 2" 202

6 RASMUS RISSANEN 6' 2" 185

Most of the guys ahead of Paradis on the team were older than him. Matthew Pistilli, who we recently signed as a free agent, played on the team and was 20 years-old. Paradis is a '91-born and all the guys ahead of him were '88-'89 born except for Labrecque. It's simply a case of being buried behind "veteran" players who are more advanced at their ages.

Now that I see that Ferraro was taken by some bottom feeder team with a lousy draft record, I think he was probably over rated anyway.

Just saying.

Snicker, snicker :P

Well, considering that in the last 10 years they only had one 1st rounder who actually made it to the NHL and 54 of the last 66 draft picks never played an NHL game at all, I guess you're right . ;)

Well, considering that in the last 10 years they only had one 1st rounder who actually made it to the NHL and 54 of the last 66 draft picks never played an NHL game at all, I guess you're right . ;)

Yeah, I guess you're right. That team will never amount to anything.

A lot of their success has come from drafting players in later rounds that have been really good players. They got ahead of the curve on drafting European players and owning their rights forever.

Yeah, I guess you're right. That team will never amount to anything.

A lot of their success has come from drafting players in later rounds that have been really good players. They got ahead of the curve on drafting European players and owning their rights forever.

Oh, no doubt drafting Zetterberg, Filppula and Franzen helped them out tremendously in the last 10 years, but outside those three guys their draft picks haven't amounted to anything notable. Their success really doesn't come from their exeptional drafting prowess but from what they did with their draft picks in the past ten years. They took the safe route by giving up six 1st rounders, four 2nd rounders and five 3rd rounders for players they wanted. Not a bad philosophy if you think about it since they would have drafted late in the rounds anyways but what happends when you have an aging team and the dice don't fall on the likes of Zetterberg, Filppula and Franzen in the future?

Any team with Ron Francis in management was never going to take Ferraro. From what I remember from the Whalers days, Ronnie Francis and Ray Ferraro (his dad) did NOT get along.

Overall I like the guys we drafted. Big guys that are probably never going to be stars, but a lot of good solid journeyman NHL guys I think.

7th rounder Tommi Kivisto was projected as being a possible 1st-2nd round pick at the beginning of the season, so he could turn out to be a nice find. Also the Canes drafted 2 of the 10 Fins that were selected, 10 seems a little low I knew of several who were supposed to be pretty good.

Kind words about the Hurricanes from our second round pick:

"The 6-foot-3, 197-pound native of Biddeford, Maine, is headed to Boston College in the fall as a true freshman, where he will be joined by New York Rangers top selection Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass.). With a Sept. 1991 birthdate, Dumoulin is also one of the draft