The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

SI's list of worst free agent signings

Could this be one of the reasons that J.R. stays away from these high price free agents while some GM's are like a bunch of drunken sailers on shore leave with a pocket full of money?

Could this be one of the reasons that J.R. stays away from these high price free agents while some GM's are like a bunch of drunken sailers on shore leave with a pocket full of money?

Haha, something like that.

That list is hilarious, I forgot that I was looking at a list of free agent busts and not the New York Rangers website. They're a joke

The more recent items, excepting Avery, are somewhat questionable. Redden, Gomez, and Drury haven't been total busts. Neither have Huet, Campbell, or Briere for that matter. The Rangers do tend to overpay, but they can afford to do that better than most. It will be interesting to see if Torts can pull that team together into a contender next year.

I think the most hilarious was the Rangers giving Holik that $9 mil a year contract back in 02. Makes one remember why the lockout happened.

It's because when we want to grab someone terrible, we trade for them.

610x.jpg

"Well, Tripp, when I first came here, I really thought I could outperform that 5th round pick, but things turned south quickly and I just wasn't up to form. What's that? My rap career's doing great, thanks for asking."

That was a trip down memory lane that this long-time Rangers fan did not want to take. :lol: They made some awful, awful moves in the late 90s/early 00s and continued the tradition with the Wade Redden signing. I'm telling myself that it will be different with Gaborik. Yeah right.

It's because when we want to grab someone terrible, we trade for them.

610x.jpg

"Well, Tripp, when I first came here, I really thought I could outperform that 5th round pick, but things turned south quickly and I just wasn't up to form. What's that? My rap career's doing great, thanks for asking."

A couple of seasons before that, Anson put up 55 points playing with the Sedins in Vancouver. I'm sure that was what J.R. was sending a 5th round pick after. Sometimes they work out (Brookbank and Melichar for Jokinen) and sometimes they don't (Carter, Hamilton, and Melichar). I'll take our failures against the high dollar failures listed in the above article.

Another dumpster diving expedition by J.R.

The fact that he was able to get Carter for a 5th round pick, and the fact that the 55 point season was an outlier in his play with how he had been playing should have set off a little alarm. You put a 3rd player on a line with two others with as much chemistry as the Sedins, you're going to pick up points.

A couple of seasons before that, Anson put up 55 points playing with the Sedins in Vancouver. I'm sure that was what J.R. was sending a 5th round pick after. Sometimes they work out (Brookbank and Melichar for Jokinen) and sometimes they don't (Carter, Hamilton, and Melichar). I'll take our failures against the high dollar failures listed in the above article.

Another dumpster diving expidition by J.R.

Me too, it was a good low risk chance to take at that time. The Canes werent exactly looking like a playoff team at that time and JR knew it was going to take more than 1 decent aquisition to fix the problems at the time. I look at the Carter signing as more a trial to see if he could fit in and help to jump start some offense. Obviousy the trial didnt go well and all it cost JR was a 5th rounder, he certainly didnt cost us the playoffs. For a guy who's put up decent numbers with decent linemates, it was worth the trial to see if he could find his offensive touch again.

The fact that he was able to get Carter for a 5th round pick, and the fact that the 55 point season was an outlier in his play with how he had been playing should have set off a little alarm. You put a 3rd player on a line with two others with as much chemistry as the Sedins, you're going to pick up points.

I could be wrong but I dont believe Taylor Pyatt had very good luck as Carter's replacement the following year playing inbetween the Sedin's.

I could be wrong but I dont believe Taylor Pyatt had very good luck as Carter's replacement the following year playing inbetween the Sedin's.

They were good numbers for Pyatt at least. Speaking of which, guess who JR was rumored to be in talks with while dealing with LaRose?

I literally LOL'd at Bobby Holik's 9 Million a year contract. That was hilarious. The Anson Carter experiment was low risk, but yes, a total faliure. But then again, the Canes have had other experiments that worked. Jokinen, Samsonov, Ruutu. So I dont mind when JR wastes a 5th round pick every once in a while to try one of these guys.

I literally LOL'd at Bobby Holik's 9 Million a year contract. That was hilarious. The Anson Carter experiment was low risk, but yes, a total faliure. But then again, the Canes have had other experiments that worked. Jokinen, Samsonov, Ruutu. So I dont mind when JR wastes a 5th round pick every once in a while to try one of these guys.

Looking at his stats it kinda makes since... he bounced around 03-04, with 40 some games with NYR, 15 with LA then 19 with Washington. Played 81 games in Vancouver with the aforementioned 55 points... it looked like he had hit on something big time. Plus he also had 55 points in 02 or 03.

The 5th round pick that he got traded for (Tom