The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Appstatecanesfan

A really scary proposal

Different sport, but same deal.. here's a story from Yahoo about the NY Giant's putting a "Timex" ad on the Giant's practice jersey and Eli Manning (what else is new) raising a stink about it because he has a contract obligation with Citizen. They show a picture of the ad, and its a tiny rectangle on the shoulder (about the size of the NHL2000 patches from that year). After the Philip Rivers fiasco in 2003, where Eli (and mostly his father) showed their hind ends, I don't have much respect for the Manning clan (nothing against Peyton.. he's an ok guy). Super Bowl ring or not, I still feel Rivers got the better end of the bargain not getting creamed on national TV for two years, but I am very biased towards Rivers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,180672

Here's my question though... yes I know people go to practices, the few hundred fans who are that dedicated.. but putting ad's on the practice jerseys, who in the heck is gonna see them?? Yeah, the point of the story for the NFL is that they get their pictures taken at practices and training camps and spring drills and all that jazz and they always show an injured quarterback doing warmup drills on Sportscenter. But for the NHL? No such coverage.. besides the 20-50 fans who show up for the morning skate, no one would ever see them. I'd be afraid for the NHL any ads on Jerseys would have to be on the game jerseys or else no one would ever see them, and then why pay for the space?

One place that I think would be ok for an ad would be the back of the jersey below the numbers.. its kinda dead space on the tail of most of those jerseys anyway, ones that unlike Carolina, don't have a design.. but then I could imagine they would complain about guys who "tuck" the jersey like Brind'amour and others.

And come on, the lack of a Buffalo jersey with an ad on it this deep into the thread disappoints me.

You mean something like this

slugbond.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive. I'll even provide a blank jersey. I'm sure there are some good ideas out there.

slugjersey.jpg

This one was just too easy...the hard part was figuring out which team they would sponsor! The possibilities are endless...

jersey-ads-1.jpg

Yeah...ads on jerseys would be terrible. I already hate the ads all over the boards, especially the light-up ones. The Subway ad I saw on a Rangers game was a travesty. "Ads on jerseys or higher ticket prices" is a false choice. I'm sure putting ads on jerseys is not the only way (or even the best way) for the league to increase revenue. This post brought to you by McDonald's. I'm lovin' it.

Haha, I had the exact same thing as LB, except it was on the Sabres sweater. Same logo and caption. Too bad it didn't go over so well with the mods.

And yeah, the Subway ad was annoying, but as long as it doesn't obstruct views, I see it as a lesser evil than 16 random patches obscuring a jersey. And you know they paid dearly for that because it was so noticeable; I have a hard time believing jersey ads would fetch a whole lot more than that.

This one was just too easy...the hard part was figuring out which team they would sponsor! The possibilities are endless...

Yeah...ads on jerseys would be terrible. I already hate the ads all over the boards, especially the light-up ones. The Subway ad I saw on a Rangers game was a travesty. "Ads on jerseys or higher ticket prices" is a false choice. I'm sure putting ads on jerseys is not the only way (or even the best way) for the league to increase revenue. This post brought to you by McDonald's. I'm lovin' it.

What shameless plug for McDonalds you should be ashamed of yourself

Hey get your Five Dollar Foot Long Subs at a local Fresh Subway near you

BuffaloAdJersey.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman... your Chiquita Banana Slugs!!

Post game interviews Nascar style: "Yeah.. well the Uhaul, Tampax, Chiquita Goalie just didn't get it done tonight.. we had all the right pieces in place but we lost an edge in the 3rd period and just couldn't recover the ice position"