The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Playmaker-ch1

Mike Grier headed back to the Slugs

Wow, thats interesting. Didnt He trash their organization when he left or am I remembering another player who left Buffalo?

Where's Quince when we need him?

Ok I'll be Quince. :)

I don't know if it's considered "trashing" the organization but if I remember correctly he did say something about being uncertain of the future of the team and being worried about whether the players were going to stay together. That 2006 offseason the Sabres had tons of RFAs and a few key UFA's, and many players had filed for arbitration. At the time Grier signed with San Jose there were many players still not under contract and the only UFA they had resigned was Teppo Numminen, so you can definitely see where he was coming from. Apparantly he was also unhappy that the Sabres did not resign Jay McKee (who signed a ridiculous deal with the Blues for 4 years/16 million, and was bought out this summer). The Sabres did end up resigning almost every one else that summer, they reached deals with most players before their hearings, with the exceptions of Briere (who was rewarded a $5 million contract) and Dumont, who they chose to walk away from, most likely because Briere's reward was so high.

I think a lot of fans blew his comments out of proportion, mostly because I feel they were somewhat valid at the present time. It is amusing to me though that now he is saying that he talked to Craig Rivet and he feels the organization is going in a good direction. hahaha....

Thanks dboon, I knew I remembered about him saying something against the organization when he left.

Nice to see you still checking in once in a while.