The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

Patrick Kane Arrested

Just read this on Yahoo... very strange.. I mean I am dirt poor but I'm not gonna assault someone for 20 cents. Odd.. Hopefully this turns out to not be true.

Just read this on Yahoo... very strange.. I mean I am dirt poor but I'm not gonna assault someone for 20 cents. Odd.. Hopefully this turns out to not be true.

Perhaps Kane was provoked? Maybe the cabbie did what he does at the local team's home games and threw his drink on a guy wearing the other team's colors...? Maybe? :)

Perhaps Kane was provoked? Maybe the cabbie did what he does at the local team's home games and threw his drink on a guy wearing the other team's colors...? Maybe? :)
Haha, that was the first thing I thought of. This isnt helping Buffalo clean up that leaguewide reputation much. The funny thing is, Kane will probably be looked at as a Buffalo resident in this case rather than a Blackhawk.:lol:

Yeah it seems like there has to be more to this story-alcohol, some sort of instigating event, something.

I WANT to believe that it was the cousin that did the assault and Patrick Kane was just guilty by association. Seems like an idiotic move for someone of his stature, regardless of what was in his system.

I WANT to believe that it was the cousin that did the assault and Patrick Kane was just guilty by association. Seems like an idiotic move for someone of his stature, regardless of what was in his system.

Indeed. Like Tarheelmike said, this seems a bit more serious than "bachelors gone wild" across the border in MN.

Here's the link the stroy from the Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/758903.html''>http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/758903.html' target="_blank">http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/758903.html[/post]

I guess I was a little prophetic in the advertising on the jersey thread with my Buffalo rendition:

slugbond.jpg

It's really a shame though. There has got to me more to the story and if not, it's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Add in the "not guilty" pleas and I have to think there's more to this story. If it was as cut and dry as they made it sound, I don't see why they wouldn't just plead no contest and get this over with.

Add in the "not guilty" pleas and I have to think there's more to this story. If it was as cut and dry as they made it sound, I don't see why they wouldn't just plead no contest and get this over with.

Yeah, I'm thinking there's got to be more to it. If it was drunk in a bar and a fight broke out, I'd say "boys will be boys" but this is a head scratcher.

Because one of the charges is a felony, which brings with it a prison sentence.

Pleading not guilty allows them to try to dismiss or bargain the charges down to misdemeanor/fines/suspended sentences/community service/etc.

Pleading not guilty allows them to try to dismiss or bargain the charges down to misdemeanor/fines/suspended sentences/community service/etc.

You're dead on with why nobody would plead guilty to a felony. It'll probably get bargained down.

I still scratch my head over what happened. Could it really have been over 20 cents? I wouldn't quibble over that and I'm sure Kane makes a dollar or two more than I do.

Ah...I missed that the first time I read it.

Ah...I missed that the first time I read it.

Me too, that definately explains more but there's still some facts missing.

I don't see anything odd. Two guys, coming back from a nightclub at 5 AM. Alcohol's obviously involved (which is probably one of the misdemeanors given to Kane), and people do stupid things when they're wasted.

They probably took a cab, got to their location, asked for change, cabbie didn't have any. One or both takes the $15 back, the cabbie puts up a struggle, gets assaulted by one or both.

I don't see anything odd. Two guys, coming back from a nightclub at 5 AM. Alcohol's obviously involved (which is probably one of the misdemeanors given to Kane), and people do stupid things when they're wasted.

They probably took a cab, got to their location, asked for change, cabbie didn't have any. One or both takes the $15 back, the cabbie puts up a struggle, gets assaulted by one or both.

I've been 20 and drunk (legal at the time by the way) and I think I would have been even less apt to fight over 20 cents when I was drunk

You dont find that odd? :o

People get wasted all the time but dont end up assaulting others(if in fact thats what happened). Especially those that are in the public eye and just recently addressed the city as a role model for its youth.

Especially those that are in the public eye and just recently addressed the city as a role model for its youth.

Maybe he was trying to live up to our image of a Buffalonian role model. That would explain a lot.

You dont find that odd? :o

People get wasted all the time but dont end up assaulting others(if in fact thats what happened). Especially those that are in the public eye and just recently addressed the city as a role model for its youth.

Well, I don't know Kane or his cousin well enough to know how they'd act wasted.

But yeah, depending on how much of a struggle the cabbie put up and how drunk either person was, I could easily see this happening.

Well, I don't know Kane or his cousin well enough to know how they'd act wasted.

But yeah, depending on how much of a struggle the cabbie put up and how drunk either person was, I could easily see this happening.

Do you know them well enough sober? Sorry, couldnt resist.

Do you know them well enough sober? Sorry, couldnt resist.

Well, assuming Kane plays hockey sober (and that's a big assumption), he seems like a pretty laid back kid in his interviews. Of course, some of the nicest people I know are some of the angriest drunks I've seen. I'd still be more inclined to believe his cousin was the one at fault and Kane was caught in the crossfire though.

Wow, I had no idea that Madonna was his mother! "I was in Chicago and I'm just on my way home now," Kane's mother, Madonna, told the Chicago Sun-Times when reached by phone this afternoon. " :P

There's definitely something more to the story. If the cabbie didn't have change and I was somehow upset, I would have 1) Paid via credit card, or 2) Told the cabbie, "Congrats, you just got a $0.20 tip." Either the cabbie is faking it for a payday or he provoked it somehow.

This is an interesting conversation. Would those who are surprised about this be as surprised if it were an NBA or NFL player "from the 'hood", so to speak?

Mix alcohol, youth, wealth, jock attitude, and a privileged adolescence, and it can happen to anyone. My 19 year old recently learned the hard way how the cockiness of youth can lead you pretty quick to a stupid mistake that only takes seconds to happen but can have a major impact, and all he had from that list was youth! That said, it is true in this case that the whole story hasn't come out. But I won't be surprised if it turns out Kane had himself a bad night.