The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Isles sign Roloson and Biron to back up DePietro?

Thats frickin weird, Biron wanted a starting gig when he got moved to Philly you'd think he would only sign with teams he could have a chance at starting with. That's alot of cooks in that kitchen

I think this bonafides the fact the NY Islanders franchise is flat out retarted. I can say that right? But really, retarted is the right word for the situation. Can someone PLEASE enlighten me to as why they signed two starting calibre goalies to back up their 15 year man? The only thing I can think of is that Ricky wont play this season because he is injured? Or maybe this was a move for the team to reach the cap floor? I have no clue, NY Islanders need some management help. Next thing you know, i'll be their Senior Advisor...

Well, take it as you will, but word from Islander fans is their organization is being very hush-hush over the whole DiPi situation. He was supposedly spotted in a restaurant, still hunched over while walking. The word "career-ending" has been thrown around here and there but nothing of any substance.

Does this possibly mean that the 15 year deal for DePietro was a mistake? Or maybe DePietro's injuries are more serious than originally thought?

This proves that Garth Snow is a supreme idiot, working under and owner who is clueless. DePietro was never that good of a goalie to warrant a 15 year, franchise player contract.

Please, dear hockey Gods, do something to make Wang sell the team. Please! I'll give up beer for one whole year. I'll stop screaming 'shoot' on our powerplay. Please.

This proves that Garth Snow is a supreme idiot, working under and owner who is clueless.

Agreed. No matter what is going on behind the scenes with DiPietro, a 15-year deal was considered idiotic at the time, and the reasons for that have become all too clear.

In all likelihood, DiPietro is facing potentially career-ending injuries. Garth Snow has yet to prove his worth as a GM, and he's done stupid things in the past, but I doubt he'd be so stupid as to be trying a three-man platoon in goal. Even tandems hardly ever work out; I can't even imagine what three guys fighting for the job would do to them and the rest of the team.

It's a shame that Snow has hamstrung his team like this. With all that young talent they're collecting, his mystifying moves are only hurting their chance at following the Pens' and Hawks' path to redemption.

Not just 15 year, but 4.5 million per year.. based on the years he has left (had to hit the expand button on nhlnumbers.com to take it all the way out to 2021-2022 Yikes!) that's in the neighborhood of 54 million. If he were to retire how much of that would they have to still pay him? I assume not much.

They are still only looking at 40.5 against the cap, so they still need to add salary maybe? The other odd thing is with Roloson signing two years, and Biron only 1.. they could be in the same boat 2 years from now if both have left.

I feel really bad for John Tavares... I think most people may be right when he takes his 3 year rookie contract and then hits the road... He probably doesnt even WANT to be their franchise player.

Is it sad this year between the Islanders and the Detroit Lions I feel really bad for this years #1 draft picks... I can imagine the first thought through their heads is "Alright! #1 Draft Pick!!! For WHO? Aaaaahhh man... you gotta be kidding..." (At least the NFL guy gets paid megabucks for being #1 overall).

From what I've read, the justification for signing Biron is (relatively) cheap insurance. Biron was surprised by lack of interest and had to go somewhere. At 1 year and $1.4 mil, he's an easily tradeable asset if not needed, and at worst gets to try for the big $ again next year. The intent is for Roloson to be full-time backup. The DiPietro deal was wrong, but how is Plan B so bad?

And don't feel bad for Tavares, he's getting paid to play hockey - though he does have to do it living on Lawn Guyland. :P

I'd expect one or both of them will be trade deadline fodder.

Or DePietro to go in the LTIR for the season.

Not just 15 year, but 4.5 million per year.. based on the years he has left (had to hit the expand button on nhlnumbers.com to take it all the way out to 2021-2022 Yikes!) that's in the neighborhood of 54 million. If he were to retire how much of that would they have to still pay him? I assume not much.

They are still only looking at 40.5 against the cap, so they still need to add salary maybe? The other odd thing is with Roloson signing two years, and Biron only 1.. they could be in the same boat 2 years from now if both have left.

I feel really bad for John Tavares... I think most people may be right when he takes his 3 year rookie contract and then hits the road... He probably doesnt even WANT to be their franchise player.

Is it sad this year between the Islanders and the Detroit Lions I feel really bad for this years #1 draft picks... I can imagine the first thought through their heads is "Alright! #1 Draft Pick!!! For WHO? Aaaaahhh man... you gotta be kidding..." (At least the NFL guy gets paid megabucks for being #1 overall).

Perhaps Staal felt that way when he came to us :huh:

I wouldn't worry about how Tavares feels. Despite their management problems, the Islanders have a young, up and coming team. They're kind of like the Kings, in that they need to get everything situated and on the same path, but they've got a bright future.

Still, always fun to make jokes. Anyone want to take a guess which Islander forward had the highest cap hit for them this past year?

Alexei Yashin, the guy they bought out in June of 2007. If that doesn't say something about their management...

I wouldn't worry about how Tavares feels. Despite their management problems, the Islanders have a young, up and coming team. They're kind of like the Kings, in that they need to get everything situated and on the same path, but they've got a bright future.

Still, always fun to make jokes. Anyone want to take a guess which Islander forward had the highest cap hit for them this past year?

Alexei Yashin, the guy they bought out in June of 2007. If that doesn't say something about their management...

Im sorry, but I have to totally disagree that they are up and coming. I dont see much in their future. I feel like they have built their team full of players that just suck. I dont really see TOO many solid prospects in their system. Josh Bailey, Tambellini, Okposo, Tavares. Thats all I can think of, sorry. The Kings are STACKED full of young talent. Its SCARY. They will be SO good if they can keep all of it.

But really, Yashin is their highest paid guy? Awesome. They need to hit the cap floor, so I wouldnt be suprised if they went out and signed Frank Kaberle to a one year 5 million dollar contract just to meet the floor. But on the Isles, Kabs would be like a godsend.

For a team that's not making much money they really seem to like to throw away their money. I don't really care who it is you shouldn't sign them to a 15 year deal. Anything could happen, and if he really turns out to be good then ok, sign him to another deal or if he doesn't its not all that bad. Until they get the whole Lighthouse project done they really can't afford to be this poor in management. The whole 3 goalie system is a little baffling.

Just wait for Garth Snow to sign himself to an NHL contract again. :P
I bet he would play more games than DePietro does :lol:

Its pretty obvious now why the Isles signed both Biron abd Roloson, DePietro is waaaaaay behind schedule with his recovery and hasnt even been cleared to skate yet. Good insurance move because it doesnt sound like he's even close.

That was an awesome 15 year investment.

sarcasm warning

Its pretty obvious now why the Isles signed both Biron abd Roloson, DePietro is waaaaaay behind schedule with his recovery and hasnt even been cleared to skate yet. Good insurance move because it doesnt sound like he's even close.

That was an awesome 15 year investment.

sarcasm warning

Shame they are actually stuck with him, unlike the NFL where apparently they can cut you for no reason without honoring your contract.

Shame they are actually stuck with him, unlike the NFL where apparently they can cut you for no reason without honoring your contract.

It is not a shame. If you are boneheaded enough to sign a guy to that kind of contract you should pay a price when it doesn't work out.

apparently, serving as a backup must have given Garth Snow a nice impression of DP because he was signed to that ridiculous contract less then 2 months after he was named GM.

Another fun fact- Snow was the NHL Executive of the Year by Sports Illustrated in 2006-2007

Who knows- maybe hes doing the right thing...if DP makes a comeback, an Snow builds a team round Tav who turns out to be the next Great One, the Isles will be the team to beat in the East (in my opinion, the Boston Bruins cant last, and the Penguins rely on too many "chance" players to become a dynasty)

I think one day we'll be the team to beat. We have Bowman, Boychuk, Sutter, Terry, McBain, Borer, Carson, Dodge, Samson, Rodney, Peters, Paradis, Murphy. Not to mention the recently drafted players (too soon to tell their value). If we continue to draft decently, and continue to improve our farm system, we could really last as a credible contender. Replace from within. If we manage to keep our prospects and let them develop fully we could be a team with four dangerous lines later on.

Plus Cam Ward is only 25, and he's establishing himself as one of the elite starters. Our star is only 24. The only weakness I see in our depth is defense, which can be filled with free agency and trades. Gleason is only 26 though, who will probably become the main piece as far as defense goes in long term.