The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MarlinsCanesCop86

Versus back on the air for Direct TV customers- channel 603HD

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/115950-directv-dropping-versus-network?eref=fromSI' target="_blank">http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/...ork?eref=fromSI[/post]

According to the above link, Direct Tv is dropping VS. Not that it matters to most Cane fans if your looking for a Canes game next season.

I have TimeWarner so at this time im not affected, but what happens when other major carriers cant afford to pay what versus is asking?

they drop it and it becomes a ComCast only channel which defeats what Buttman was trying to do.

Hmmm...and I just switched back to DirectTV from Time Warner. Damn.

*Not because Versus is actually any good, but because I love watching hockey nonetheless of who's carrying the games, so this means I'll be missing out on 50 or so weeknight games this season. Good thing for Centre Ice!

I don't have a problem with it. But now they should drop the dumb Versus exclusive game nights and let the other games playing then broadcast their games...

Yeah blackouts are the bane of my existance

I shot DirecTV an email concerning Versus and below is their comment back to me:

"Please be advised that our agreement with Versus expires on August 31, 2009. We are working hard to reach an agreement to keep Versus on the air. If we are unable to reach an agreement and must take Versus off the air, we will communicate with you via on-air slides or messaging.

We understand how important Versus is to you. It's equally important to us to keep your monthly fees low, so we're doing everything we can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees. We feel that the terms Versus is asking for from us do not reflect the market or what they are asking of other distributors."

Looks like DirecTV is putting the squeeze on VS to drop their increase in fees otherwise they are off of their system.

dumb question: are there any other "major" sports leagues telecast on Versus? Don't count bull riding as a major sport.

They show a few college football games. No major games for the most part. I think they have the Texas/Wyoming game next weekend. They show WAC and Mountain West college hoops I think, too.

So no, there's not.

Versus is now off air on Direct TV. The following message appears on the channel: "Comcast, which owns VS, has forced us to take down this channel because we will not submit to their unfair and outrageous demands."

Versus is now off air on Direct TV. The following message appears on the channel: "Comcast, which owns VS, has forced us to take down this channel because we will not submit to their unfair and outrageous demands."

wow :o Good thing Versus wants no part of any Canes games but this will really suck come playoff time.

I wonder if this means that CI will be able to air the Mon and Tues night games usually blacked out when VS aired them.

wow :o Good thing Versus wants no part of any Canes games but this will really suck come playoff time.

I wonder if this means that CI will be able to air the Mon and Tues night games usually blacked out when VS aired them.

This thing won't last until October. Versus needs DirectTV.

This thing won't last until October. Versus needs DirectTV.

I agree, I'm willing to bet it doesnt last through the end of Sept when they see their numbers fall off the map.

That's awesome. Broadcasting this message on the former channel comes off, to me anyway, as petty and unprofessional, regardless of whether their demands really are unfair and outrageous. I know it's DirecTV's airspace, but come on... What is this, high school?

That's awesome. Broadcasting this message on the former channel comes off, to me anyway, as petty and unprofessional, regardless of whether their demands really are unfair and outrageous. I know it's DirecTV's airspace, but come on... What is this, high school?

I called DTV out of curiosity. Better get the popcorn ready because the gloves are off and this is just the tip of the war between Comcast and DTV. :lol:

So, this means no Brian Engblom and Keith Jones for the DTV clientele? THINK ABOUT THE KIDS!!

:lol:

Ever since they let Bill Clement go, its just not been the same.

This is what Direct TV has on their webiste regarding this. I have DTV and I honestly can't stand versus, so I'm not upset.

"Versus on DIRECTV

Unfortunately, Versus is no longer available on DIRECTV. Comcast, the largest cable company in the U.S. and our largest competitor, owns the channel and has forced us to pull it down. Here is the situation.

DIRECTV was already paying Comcast more than any other non-Comcast distributor to air Versus — and now Comcast is demanding an overall rate hike of 20% on top of that. Comcast also forces DIRECTV to make Versus available to a much larger portion of our customer base at our own expense than they require from other TV providers — most notably, DISH Network. We simply cannot accept these unfair and outrageous terms. All we're asking from Comcast is equal treatment.

Comcast and Versus are currently engaged in a noisy publicity campaign to distract attention from the fact that they are trying to take advantage of DIRECTV and our customers. The bottom line is this, if we were to accept their unreasonable demands, we would have no choice but to pass on the increase in cost to our valued customers. We do not want this to happen, especially in these difficult economic times. That's why we're standing firm in our negotiations with Comcast.

Regardless, we will continue to work in good faith with Comcast to try to reach a fair and just settlement. Our commitment to deliver the best TV service for the best price is and has always been our first priority. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

DIRECTV still leads the industry in sports programming, whether or not we have Versus in our channel lineup. For college football, NHL hockey and other sports, here's just a brief list of what's available on DIRECTV:

•College football: Available on Big Ten Network, CBS College Sports, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, The Mtn., local channels and your RSN.

•NHL: Available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN.

•Mixed Martial Arts: Available on HDNet, Spike TV, and UFC on DIRECTV Pay Per View.

•Auto Racing: IRL available on ABC, Formula 1 on Fox and Speed.

•Bull riding: Available on ESPN2 and the Houston Rodeo on DIRECTV Pay Per View

Hunting and fishing: Available on ESPN2, The Sportsman Channel, The Outdoor Channel, and Pursuit TV.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at versus@directv.com"