The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MarlinsCanesCop86

Versus back on the air for Direct TV customers- channel 603HD

Their point about Dish is valid. Dish carries Vs on a higher tier than Direct. I think you have to pay an additional $10/month for the top 250 package on Dish if you didn't already have/want it (may have changed recently). It's another $10 for the platinum HD tier that includes the NHL Network (it also is included with Center Ice).

The funny thing about this is Comcast did the exact same thing to the NFL when the NFL channel came out a few years ago. This is what happens when you allow a distributor to own a channel. I feel bad for folks who wanted to get some extra hockey via Vs and are subscribed to Direct, it isn't easy to get out of those contracts.

Huh...maybe Versus won't break lol.

We'll see...but really who cares. They only show Pitt, NY, and Philly, and yawn to all of them. I'll still have CI, and all those late night western matchups. So yea, all will be fine.

Open letter to the fans from the NHL:

directv_versus_letter2.jpg

Not sure why the NHL isnt asking anyone to complain to Comcast (who owns the rights to Versus).  This has to be a nightmare situation for both Versus and the NHL.

Not sure why the NHL isnt asking anyone to complain to Comcast (who owns the rights to Versus).  This has to be a nightmare situation for both Versus and the NHL.
Just guessing...Comcast pays more than DTV? Or put another way, the NHL owes Vs/Comcast a lot more than DTV.

[quote name='JLP wrote:

TSA']Not sure why the NHL isnt asking anyone to complain to Comcast (who owns the rights to Versus).  This has to be a nightmare situation for both Versus and the NHL.

Just guessing...Comcast pays more than DTV? Or put another way, the NHL owes Vs/Comcast a lot more than DTV.

I think its more about what Comcast is charging DTV based on this on screen message:

"Comcast, which owns VS, has forced us to take down this channel because we will not submit to their unfair and outrageous demands." 

[quote name='TSA wrote:

JLP wrote:

TSA']Not sure why the NHL isnt asking anyone to complain to Comcast (who owns the rights to Versus).  This has to be a nightmare situation for both Versus and the NHL.

I think its more about what Comcast is charging DTV based on this on screen message:

"Comcast, which owns VS, has forced us to take down this channel because we will not submit to their unfair and outrageous demands."

I was answering why the NHL is backing Comcast over DTV. DTV's issue is with Comcast's fees (and rightfully so, in my opinion).

If it means not raising my price for DTV, then I have no problems with them keeping versus off the air.  I have no idea what Comcast was charging before but a 20% hike is kinda steep if you ask me.

I know I may go through some serious withdrawals when I can't watch poker or the tour de france, but I think I will live. laugh.gif

One could only hope Time Warner would drop Versus.

No worries, TW has no problem increasing their fees.

/Grumbles

Sucks for was and bos fans, but there is an online feed out there at least.

Comcast is a cable company, they are the parent company for Versus.  They are obviously trying to force DirecTV to raise their rates.  I applaud DirecTv, whom I've subscribed to for the last 10 years.  Go DirecTv, and to Mr. Bettman:  Get rid of Versus...they suck, and they never cover the Canes.  So metal thing that goes into wood with threads versus! 

Per Luke @ N&O:,

N&O savings guru Sue Stock passed along this tidbit of interest to hockey fans with DirecTV, as long as Versus remains off the air:

If you call DirecTV and ask for "customer retention," and complain about the Versus dispute, you can get the NHL Center Ice package free. Let us know if that works.

Per Luke @ N&O:,

N&O savings guru Sue Stock passed along this tidbit of interest to hockey fans with DirecTV, as long as Versus remains off the air:

If you call DirecTV and ask for "customer retention," and complain about the Versus dispute, you can get the NHL Center Ice package free. Let us know if that works.

We didn't get the CI package free but we did get $20 off the NFL package for 6 months, which essentially gives you the CI package for free.

I am glad no Versus on Directv. I was able to complain and got the NHL CI for the season for FREE.

Now I get to see about 70 Canes games. The only weird one so far was vs Tampa last week with

no TV coverage at all. I just wanted to see some highlights.

Yeah medford, after I read that I kinda wished we'd gone for DTV instead of Dish! I think the count is higher than that, should be at least 75 or so.

Does the NHL contract with Versus prohibt Direct from showing games that are also being televised by other networks such as TSN?  What will happen should this impass extend into the playoffs?

Not only did i hate everything about VS before because everyone their is retarded, but now i have to miss some great games because of Comcast and their low blow to DTV. God I am just praying this will be resolved before playoff time because idk what ill do if I can t watch playoff games considering VS will broadcast a lot.

Not only did i hate everything about VS before because everyone their is retarded, but now i have to miss some great games because of Comcast and their low blow to DTV. God I am just praying this will be resolved before playoff time because idk what ill do if I can t watch playoff games considering VS will broadcast a lot.
complain to Direct tv, you might get CI for free or a big discount.

Happily bumping because Versus is back on DTV, just in time for the playoffs.

I wonder what that settlement looked like ohmy.gif.

Headline for the day:

NHL Viewership Declines on Versus For First Time Ever

For the first time since acquiring rights to the league in '05, Versus saw a decline in viewership for its regular season NHL coverage.

Versus averaged 297,000 viewers for NHL coverage during the 2009-10 season, down 7% from last year (318,000), but up 9% from 2007-08 (272,000). This is the first time that viewership has declined for the NHL regular season on Versus.

Despite the decline, this marks the second-most viewed NHL regular season on cable since the 2004-05 lockout.

The top game of the season was Penguins/Red Wings on March 22, which drew 622,000 viewers.

Versus ratings for NHL

Well DUH, what did they expect after losing the DirecTV audience for most of the season!  Funny how it is not even mentioned in the article.

Headline for the day:

NHL Viewership Declines on Versus For First Time Ever

For the first time since acquiring rights to the league in '05, Versus saw a decline in viewership for its regular season NHL coverage.

Versus averaged 297,000 viewers for NHL coverage during the 2009-10 season, down 7% from last year (318,000), but up 9% from 2007-08 (272,000). This is the first time that viewership has declined for the NHL regular season on Versus.

Despite the decline, this marks the second-most viewed NHL regular season on cable since the 2004-05 lockout.

The top game of the season was Penguins/Red Wings on March 22, which drew 622,000 viewers.

Versus ratings for NHL

Well DUH, what did they expect after losing the DirecTV audience for most of the season!  Funny how it is not even mentioned in the article.

yes, this is the elephant in the room.