The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Pkling40

Free Agency 2009!!

Yes, I'm liking that concept. It's kind of a catch 22. You hope the NHL continues to do well and succeed, but then if they succeed too much, the cap potentially goes up. At the same time, if the cap does down, you have a chance to snag up some good talent.

If the cap does go down 5 mil next year (which has been speculated), these huge deals everyone is getting could be in OUR favor... teams will have to shed salary and give up guys they wouldnt otherwise part ways with just to stay under the cap.
I wonder who is JR gonna fleece next year? "Sure, I'll trade a 7th round pick for Hossa." :lol:

Edit:Eye Spel Real Gud

What about Derek Morris? Any thoughts on adding him to be a top 4 defenseman, or will he probably get a big time raise? He made 4 mil or close to it, so how much would he get now?

Bruins sign Steve Begin for 1 yr @ $850,000. Looks like Boston is slowly becoming Montreal South.

Well said, and out of those teams that haven't signed anyone yet, at least a couple have major holes to fill from losing their UFA's. We're not even in that catagory yet.

let's not forget the Dany Heatly "i wanna be traded, no i don't" saga which i am sure is handcuffing murray.

Panthers sign Jordan Leopold for 1 yr @ 1.7mil. Hmmm, Bowmeester signs long term deal with Calgary and Leopold signs 1 yr deal with Florida. Oh well, at least they fired Potvin. :)

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283549''>http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283549' target="_blank">http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283549[/post]

Do any of you stats wizards want to try and figure out how much Denis Seidenberg could possibly get? There must be some free agent dman recently signed that has numbers similar to his.

Firing Potvin is quite possibly the best gift the Panthers could have given the NHL.

let's not forget the Dany Heatly "i wanna be traded, no i don't" saga which i am sure is handcuffing murray.

I used to like Dany Heatley, even after the whole Dan Snyder thing. But holy *edit* man, what the heck do you think you're doing, if you don't want to be stuck with a team why do you sign such a massive contract that makes it almost impossible to trade you, and when they get a deal together with a team you veto it. Talk about akwardness in the Ottawa dressing room this year.

I used to like Dany Heatley, even after the whole Dan Snyder thing. But holy *edit* man, what the heck do you think you're doing, if you don't want to be stuck with a team why do you sign such a massive contract that makes it almost impossible to trade you, and when they get a deal together with a team you veto it. Talk about akwardness in the Ottawa dressing room this year.

I was thinking the same exact thing. If you sign a 6 year deal, you stay there for six years.

Well guys, I think its safe to say we won't see Staal get a really good winger to play with him anytime soon. Unless one of our current guys REALLY steps his game up (which is unlikely).

Ah, oh well. I'l just play my NHL videogames to live that out a little bit ;)

This could make free agency a little more interesting.....Cam Barker anyone?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283634' target="_blank">TSN Source[/post]

How about Versteeg? 53 points and +15, plays RW or LW. He would be a nice addition. He was only making a half mill a year... we could offer him something like 1.1, 1.2 and stay in our budget. Don't know if he's first line material to put next to Staal, but you add him to the 3rd line, and bump someone up. I wonder how many of his assists came from the Kane/Sharp/Toews scoring machine. That could affect his stats a little.

Barker was making like 2.4 with salary and bonuses, so not sure if we could afford him. I don't know how much we'll have if Sieds walks, but it might be enough for him. Then again, Chicago would probably throw money at these guys to make up for the goof and let them stay, plus how likely are they to null the QOs?

Cole - Staal - Samsonov

Whitney - Ruutu - Walker

Jokinen - Cullen - Versteeg

Bayda - Brindamour - Eaves

(While I was looking at the roster I noticed we have a lot of guys listed as Center's - Staal, Ruutu, Cullen, Brindamour, Sutter, Ryan)

Then again, Chicago would probably throw money at these guys to make up for the goof and let them stay, plus how likely are they to null the QOs?

This happened once before with New Jersey in 2000 and they were forced to make offers at market value to the players; Rafalski agreed to a 4-year, $11 million dollar extension and Madden signed a 4-year, $7 million dollar deal. The difference this time is that Chicago is up against the cap and can't make these extensions at this time without releasing players.

I'm gonna quote the part about the Hurricanes, but the article is about how every team did in the FA Frenzy, so I figured I would place it here. At least for one author, us re-signing our guys and not picking up anyone new was a good move. He gave us a B+

"Carolina Hurricanes: See that thing over there? Five digits and a palm, smacking around two guys looking to leave town? Yeah, that's Jim Rutherford's pimp hand. It's strong.

The Carolina GM said both Erik Cole(notes) and Chad LaRose(notes) would test the market, and they did. Cole was the first one to come running back to Eric Staal(notes) for two years and $5.8 million, which is a pay cut from his previous deal.

After Rutherford told the media he had given up on re-signing LaRose ... well, look who decided the grass wasn't greener last night, to the tune of two years and $3.4 million?

Add that to getting Jussi Jokinen(notes) done (two years, $3.4 million) before the Frenzy, and it was a very good week for the Canes -- even with the lingering questions about UFA Dennis Seidenberg(notes) and RFAs Anton Babchuk(notes) and Tuomo Ruutu(notes). GRADE: B+"

The rest of the article is here: Free Agent Frenzy

Ville Koistinen signs with Florida, 1.2 mil pr for 2 yrs

Francois Beauchemin signs with Toronto, 3.8 mil pr for 3 yrs

Alex Kovalev signs with Ottawa, 5 mil pr for 2 yrs

3.8 for Beauchemin seems high, makes me wonder what Siedenberg will get.

Alex Kovalev signs with Ottawa, 5 mil pr for 2 yrs

And 5 million per for an underachieving 36 year old who averaged 65 points a season for the last 4 years?

That seems a couple million toooo expensive to me.

So more Chicago signings.....

Cam Barker[/post] 3 years - 9.25 million

5 Others

Before this they only had aproximately 8,920,293 to spend as per Hockey Buzz Cap Numbers and they still have to work out something with Versteeg.....it would seem that they may be in the market to clear some cap space.

I was hoping we might have some room to pick up Versteeg... He was making only 0.475 mil and might could sign for only 1.1 or something like that, but with having to resign Ruutu I'm not sure we have the space, and I'm not sure we would make a move like that anyway. Seems uncharacteristic.

Chicago Locked up Versteeg so he's off the table now. 3 years 9 million.. wow.. thats quite a pay raise from .475 million a year. I guess my hopes that we could pick him up for around 1.5 weren't gonna work out. He's getting paid now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=436500

They might have to make some moves though.

"Signing Versteeg means the Blackhawks have signed all of their restricted free agents, and outside of the losses of goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin and forward Martin Havlat, kept intact most of the group that went to the Western Conference Finals in the spring.

The signing also, however, puts Chicago perilously close to the $56.8 million salary cap, meaning a trade could be needed to free up money for a backup goalie as well as any other in-season transactions."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=433516' target="_blank">HERE[/post] is an updated list of the top 40 unsigned FAs (from nhl.com). There are some nice names on that list.

You are right, there are a few names on there I wouldn't mind seeing in a Pens uniform. Paul Mara or even Sydor again. The Pens have about 2.5 mil left under the cap last I checked. Mara would be a decent replacement for Hal Gill. Gill is slow and was exposed for that once in awhile on dump ins. Not too bad though. He was invaluable as Fleury's personal bulldozer in the playoffs. I can't tell you how many times he politely "removed" Holmstrom, Franzen and Cleary out of the crease during or after the play. They never really seemed to want to mix it up with big old USS Hal Gill.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=433516' target="_blank">HERE[/post] is an updated list of the top 40 unsigned FAs (from nhl.com). There are some nice names on that list.

Some big name goalies on that list too... Unfortunately I'm sure most of them are past their primes. Both Nittymaki and Biron being dumped by Philly, former Cane's netminders Weekes and Gerber both looking for work.. Manny Legace.. Ollie the Goalie... big names on the list.

A few of those guys would be a nice addition, especially some of the 3rd line/4th line grinders like Malholtra, Hilbert, Moen... but I don't see us making any free agent signings. We are too close to the cap to add without giving something up.

The Ducks just signed Nick Boynton to a 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal......

Plays a physical game and loves a heavy workload. Reliable in the defensive zone. Smooth skater and sound puck-handler. Possesses a hard, accurate shot from the point.

Could JR have splurged and scooped him up?