The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

Troubles in Nashville

stormrider.....

If you look hard enough there is a Karmanos quote out there of him saying something along the lines of...."with the NHL's new revenue sharing I don't have to worry about raising attendance to break even." Those aren't his exact words, but he was quoted saying something similar....

Anyways I'm done with this thread.....because when I debate with you stormrider, it tends to snowball out of control and I end up falsely looking like a Canes hater.....see ya

Gilles....good point on L.A./Anaheim

If you look hard enough there is a Karmanos quote out there of him saying something along the lines of...."with the NHL's new revenue sharing I don't have to worry about raising attendance to break even." Those aren't his exact words, but he was quoted saying something similar....

I've never heard anything like that attributed to him. After years of losses, he went on and on about "financial viability" in Raleigh and how a new CBA was crucial. As suggested, I did a search and found nothing.

Since you have referenced this before maybe you can share a link. That would be an idiotic thing for him to say and I'd be critical of any comment like that too. Please do share the source.

Karmanos has a history of saying idiotic things stormrider....he's the same guy who demanded a salary cap and complained about traditional markets overpaying players. Yet he conveniently forgot that he was responsible for the single highest salary hike when he tried to overpay Federov as a RFA.

I have seen the quote, but it was quite a while ago and it was provided by Jeffrey if you remember him from the summer. The guy was an annoying pain in a @ss. But his information was almost ALWAYS credible.

However he does deserve some credit for bringing his team's salary up to par with most other teams around the NHL....Partly this is because cup champs obviously demand more money, but it's good to see the team isn't tightly hugging the minimum payroll number anymore.

I've never heard anything like that attributed to him. After years of losses, he went on and on about "financial viability" in Raleigh and how a new CBA was crucial. As suggested, I did a search and found nothing.

Since you have referenced this before maybe you can share a link. That would be an idiotic thing for him to say and I'd be critical of any comment like that too. Please do share the source.

i can't speak on Hoyle's quote specifically but Karmonos had been quoted in the N&O to moving this team again if things didn't get better. stating that he would only tolerate losses for just so long. that quote was pre-cup and maybe even pre-lockout. but i am inclined to believe hoyle on this one in that all Karmonos thinks about is just breaking even (and now the Cup)!!

sports.espn.go.com/nhl/co...id=2734128 ............Florida troubles also Wow, someone finally gets what Karmanos is all about...$$$$$$$$$$....he could care less about you caniacs. Heres hoping you have your team for a long ,long time.

How on earth can anyone say the atlanta market stinks? It's the biggest in the south.

size doesnt always matter. clark gilles made a good point about how los angeles couldnt retain an nfl team and yet green bay/ buffalo can.

sports.espn.go.com/nhl/co...id=2734128 ............Florida troubles also Wow, someone finally gets what Karmanos is all about...$$$$$$$$$$....he could care less about you caniacs. Heres hoping you have your team for a long ,long time.

Hockey is a business. If it doesn't make the owner $$$$$$$$$$, then it won't last. I see no problem with an owner concerned about money.

As a STH since 1999, I don't feel I have ever been mistreated by Karmanos.

teams from the north and in canada failed due to the markets and poor management, some teams from the south will follow the same path. I think that is a given, and moving teams back north may or may not work, I mean if you are moving a poorly managed operation from the south to the north, it does not mean it will be any better.

moving teams back north may or may not work, I mean if you are moving a poorly managed operation from the south to the north, it does not mean it will be any better.

That's a hard argument to make, because this has yet to happen once...

I still don't think it's a north/south thing. I just think its poor planning by Bettman to expand the NHL. Yes, it has to happen but I major tv contract should have been worked on before hurrying teams to non hockey markets , while ignoring known hockey markets. The teams that fail up north will be due to poor mgmt, poor trades or lack of and the fans losing interest, Down south it may just be a lack of interest. I watched the thrasher/habs game and there wasn't many there but I also saw the devils game at NJ and it was horrible , some sections with barely anyone there.....something is seriously wrong with the NHL and sooner or later Bettman must be looked at as part of the reason. His expansion into certian cities is not working and exactly what is the time frame before the red flags come up. My Karmanos coment was this, yes everything is fine now but he has no ties for the city of Raleigh or its fans , he'll leave in a heartbeat if he had to

FW you cannot get a national TV contract without exposure across the country of America, it's as simple as that. The NBA doesn't even have a national TV contract either do they?

And what is your smiley looking at? Obviously not the tv?

nashvilles attendance last nite 10,927. i dont wanna hear its wasnt a weekend game either excuse because it's not like their the only team that plays during the week.

Glass houses quince? I remember Numinen voicing his frustration over Buffalo's attendance early last year. Something like 12-13k+ people in the stands for a couple of weekday games?

But Nashville has no excuses and you guys do? I thought Buffalo was "sell out" city? :-)

nashvilles attendance last nite 10,927. i dont wanna hear its wasnt a weekend game either excuse because it's not like their the only team that plays during the week.

Glass houses quince? I remember Numinen voicing his frustration over Buffalo's attendance early last year. Something like 12-13k+ people in the stands for a couple of weekday games?

But Nashville has no excuses and you guys do? I thought Buffalo was "sell out" city? :-)

The difference being.....at least Buffalo sells out when they put a successful team on the ice, wish we could say the same about Nashville.

hoyle pretty much said it for me about nashville... i was @ those empty games, ive been a diehard fan since 95-96 when i first started going to games. I thought raleigh was supposed to be the loudest building like everyone says down there but just over 16,000 last nite :-) im just teasing you back stormrider were supposed to be talking about nashville

i was @ those empty games, ive been a diehard fan since 95-96 when i first started going to games. I thought raleigh was supposed to be the loudest building like everyone says down there but just over 16,000 last nite :-) im just teasing you back stormrider were supposed to be talking about nashville

Didn't you hear about the major snow storm we had yesterday? Up to one-inch snow drifts in some parts and school was closed and opened late this morning. I'm sure that kept some people away but the crowd still could have been better.

Besides when does numbers = noise volume? It could just be some really loud people here. :)

Nashville, Nashville, Nashville....there that's out of the way. :wink:

I know you are just kidding back. There are too few visitors to this board like you who know how to take a little ribbing.

The NBA doesn't even have a national TV contract either do they?

Unless you count two nights a week on ESPN, a night or two on TNT, late season weekend games on ABC, and playoffs wall to wall, seven nights a week from April-June.

The NHL has... what? Here in the States, it's one nationally televised game a week on Versus, and I guess now a regional game on Saturdays on NBC. Or something like that. Hold me back, that's just TOO MUCH HOCKEY!!

Fact is, they HAD a major national deal with ESPN and ABC and they screwed themselves out of it with the lockout and poor negotiating afterward when interest had fizzled out. Ah, that Bettman.

that semi national tv contract was a joke.....their games were restricted to sunday afternoons. The problem is the NHL has very little pull when it sits down at the table with ABC, NBC ESPN....All these stations ask the same thing...."How can you guarantee us high tv ratings." Obviously the NHL can't point to it's arena attendances.

Didn't you hear about the major snow storm we had yesterday? Up to one-inch snow drifts in some parts and school was closed and opened late this morning.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh at this because different regions are used to different climates........however I always get a good kick out of hear southern places shutting their whole city down because of an inch of snow.

Didn't you hear about the major snow storm we had yesterday? Up to one-inch snow drifts in some parts and school was closed and opened late this morning.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh at this because different regions are used to different climates........however I always get a good kick out of hear southern places shutting their whole city down because of an inch of snow.

You should have seen the pandemonium when we got almost 2 feet, yes 2 feet, of snow a few years back around this time.