The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

***List of issues and suggestions for the new board

From one problem to another-----the system finally logged me out. Today I logged in again. When I click on my home

page it is totally blank. When I go to the top right corner and click on my profile, I get an NHL page with my NHL profile

and account--------no Hurricanes page or home page. (Microsoft XP) It was all working fine yesterday except I

couldn't log out.  But I can post. Help ! 

nono.gif  Never mind-----it fixed itself. I guess this new system has a unique mind of its own.  oops------

Now my home page says " We are experiencing a problem. "    nono.gif  nono.gif

I can't reply to any specific posts today and as well as the right side of ALL post in ALL FORUMS are cut off.  Everything was fine for a few days and now I have the sames issues as before .  Seems like the powers to be would have TESTED before going to press with this new board!!!mad.gif

Diane, if you are running a resolution less than 1024x768, you could be seeing the scrollbars. They show up in 800x600. You have probably reached the limit of what a 10+ year old PC can handle, unfortunately. If it makes you feel any better, you've probably used it about 7 years longer than the manufacturer planned. :) Windows 7 machines will be out in a month, and Black Friday isn't too far off!

Boy, did I find a way to speed things up. If using FF (it can be done in IE too if you use IE7Pro), block the border image and the message board header. Big reload speed improvement. I'm starting to think they have a caching issue - probably related to the need to serve ads. It looks like the whole page reloads when going back and forth. There is a much larger back end content load than the old boards, especially images, and the whole page reloads every time, that is going to slow things down.

[quote name=caniac-97 wrote:

Have you tried the CTRL option with firefox?   CTRL + increase the font (print) size of any web page while CTRL - decreases it.  Might work trying to squeeze it down.  I frequently use the CTRL + to increase the font (print) size because my vision isn't what it once was.

I'd have to reduce the font size a whole bunch to be able to see the whole site (from left to right, that is) on my screen, LOL.  It seems like I'm not the only one running in to this problem, so hopefully the powers-that-be will be able to fix that glitch.

JLP]Diane,if you are running a resolution less than 1024x768, you could be seeingthe scrollbars. They show up in 800x600. You have probably reached thelimit of what a 10+ year old PC can handle, unfortunately. If it makesyou feel any better, you've probably used it about 7 years longer thanthe manufacturer planned. :) Windows 7 machines will be out in a month,and Black Friday isn't too far off!

Boy, did I find a way to speed things up. If using FF (it can be donein IE too if you use IE7Pro), block the border image and the messageboard header. Big reload speed improvement. I'm starting to think theyhave a caching issue - probably related to the need to serve ads. Itlooks like the whole page reloads when going back and forth. There is amuch larger back end content load than the old boards, especiallyimages, and the whole page reloads every time, that is going to slowthings down.

Thanks for the tips - how does one go about blocking the border image and header in FF?

Using PC w/XP  and Firefox 

Lost "My Home" page . Only blank screen

Lost avatar on message board. 

also tried with IE but same problem

If this wasn't fixed by you at software central I was able to get it to recognize my home page by

clicking on my screen name at the bottom of message board main page. It brought up my profile

and from there I was able to edit my profile by hitting submit and now my home works.

Is that cheating! 

The "missing My Home" page seems pretty widespread. You can get to it using the method ivyleager posted.

Diane - go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/, look for Adblock Plus. Once installed you can right click and selectively block any image file. But I'm not sure that will be enough for you. On my older machine, FF runs pretty fast compared to IE, almost as fast as my work laptop. Good luck!

Using PC w/XP  and Firefox 

They refer to that on the Calgary board as the "white screen of death".  I have no idea why but sometimes clicking my home will give me the white screen of death too.

Psst:  I didnt do anything to fix your problem but I'll gladly take the credit.wink.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer']Using PC w/XP  and Firefox 

They refer to that on the Calgary board as the "white screen of death".  I have no idea why but sometimes clicking my home will give me the white screen of death too.

Psst:  I didnt do anything to fix your problem but I'll gladly take the credit.wink.gif

Never actually experienced this until tonight. I cannot access My Home at all tonight. :(

The "missing My Home" page seems pretty widespread. You can get to it using the method ivyleager posted.

When I signed on this morning the white screen of death was back in My Home. I tried the ivyleager method by clicking profile but it gave me an error message.

So I again tried my method by clicking on my screen name on the board where it shows users on line.

That took me to my profile and on the left clicked edit profile

then resubmitted my profile and that restored "My Home"

Just thought I would pass that along and maybe someone can make some sense out of it.

Is anyone still getting sent to the Flames website when they sign off?  I think we fixed this so let me know if its still happening to you.

It seems they may have fixed the My Home issue. In the process, everything there now has a strange blue hue, including the frames, letters in the menu header, etc. Fix one thing break another - been there, though not on something in production use!!

Anyone else see the blue?

(FF 3.5.3 Win XP)

It seems they may have fixed the My Home issue. In the process, everything there now has a strange blue hue, including the frames, letters in the menu header, etc. Fix one thing break another - been there, though not on something in production use!!

Anyone else see the blue?

(FF 3.5.3 Win XP)

Yes it is blue. But it seems to be working.

When will the "Last Topic" show the latest post on the top of the page and then the older posts will drop below with the oldest date being on the bottom of the Topic Title Page???  It use to be that way on the old board.  Now when you look at topics you have older posts on the top of the page and newer post stuck somewhere in between?  I realize it isn't a major problem but more of convenience then anything else.

When will the "Last Topic" show the latest post on the top of the page and then the older posts will drop below with the oldest date being on the bottom of the Topic Title Page???  It use to be that way on the old board.  Now when you look at topics you have older posts on the top of the page and newer post stuck somewhere in between?  I realize it isn't a major problem but more of convenience then anything else.

Was it like that before? I remember it being just like it is now. Of course, my memory is really not at all like it used to be.

Sorry, but Im just not seeing this.  Unless a topic is pinned at the top of the page, everythng else is going in the right order for me.  Can you post a screen shot?  Maybe Im just not understanding what you're talking about.

Author

Replies

Views

Kudos

Last Post

RSS Email

Sticky TopicOfficial Countdown Clock to the 2009-10 season

topshelfavry

sipower

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 8:43 PM

RSS Email

Sticky Topic/www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR**All numbers based on the salary paid out for the 2009/10 season, not the actual cap hit.ForwardsEric Staal - $6Rod Brind'Amour - $3Tuomo Ruutu..." href="http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/6949">Carolina Hurricanes by the Numbers - 09/10 Salaries (1,2,3,4,5)

topshelfavry

topshelfavry

Sat, Aug 22, 2009 11:30 AM

RSS Email

Babchuk signs with KHL (1,2)

nhbeast

remkin

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 9:41 PM

RSS Email

Arena Observations From First Game (Preseason) (1,2)

g105

g105

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 9:18 PM

RSS Email

/blogs.newsobserver...anes/hedican-hangs-it-upLet">http://blogs.newsobserver...s/hedican-hangs-it-upLet's do it!!" href="http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15350">Hedican Back for One Gme? (1,2,3)

g105

bag12day

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 9:07 PM

RSS Email

Need Help Testing

Ref107

JLP

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 6:34 PM

RSS Email

Question

scotchonice

Canes-MMP

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 4:06 PM

RSS Email

convince me my I need to attend the pre-seaon games (1,2,3)

colliefan

dogbutler

Sun, Sep 20, 2009 2:48 AM

RSS Email

$9.99 tickets???

tvillecaniac23

AgNRyudo

Sat, Sep 19, 2009 10:22 PM

RSS Email

Hurricane Bobbleheads

bryce-ch1

19Hurricanes97

Sat, Sep 19, 2009 2:45 PM

RSS Email

Babchuk. (1,2)

Avangard

acaniac

Sat, Sep 19, 2009 7:29 AM

RSS Email

2009-10 TV Schedule Out - HD schedule added 9/18 (1,2)

JLP

JLP

Fri, Sep 18, 2009 2:14 PM

RSS Email

Bayda gets invite to Blues camp

cane-addict-1

acaniac

Thu, Sep 17, 2009 5:33 PM

RSS Email

Hurricanes preview at NHL.COM

nhbeast

acaniac

Thu, Sep 17, 2009 5:28 PM

RSS Email

Seidenberg to Florida confirmed by TSN (1,2)

tsugatsuga

dogbutler

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 10:48 PM

RSS Email

Training Camp

hopper915

hopper915

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 8:17 PM

RSS Email

Free parking?

natnat919

redneck

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 2:22 PM

RSS Email

Canes Training Camp - updated 09/16

sandpiper214

sandpiper214

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 8:45 AM

RSS Email

Season tickets mailing out this week... (1,2,3)

noe4laj

g105

Tue, Sep 15, 2009 8:31 PM

RSS Email

Canes, Seidenberg talking again (1,2,3,8,9,10)

rocheccw

krad

Tue, Sep 15, 2009 5:02

I tried my best to get you screen shot of what I am talking about, the above topics.  You will notice that the dates on the far right are out of order.  The newest post should be on the top, date first then time and as older posts drops down until they fall off of the first page.  Hope I'm making sense.,,

I see the pin topics and the rest of topics do fall in date order.  Just wasn't paying attention to the "pins," my bad, thanks for pointing that out to me......

No problem, just glad I could resolve something. ohwell.gif