The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Hedican Back for One Gme?

Not possible.  Under the new CBA, any contract Hedican signed would count against the salary cap for the entire season.  I believe the minimum salary is $500,000 this year, and we're not going to throw away that amount of cap space for a nice gesture. 

mad.gif killjoy... tongue.gif actually they could probably broker a deal through the NHL and NHLPA that would circumvent that - to be done as a gesture. There are ways of doing everything... a prorated 1 - game contract would be a cap hit of $6067.56 

could the players' union have a deal that in situations such as this one, a player could come back for game only at a pro-rated salary of his last salary with no impact on the cap? It helps the league, the fans, and the players/

It would be a great idea and I certainly would be in for the fun of it but my thought is if Ronnie didn't play his last game as Cane after all he did for the the HW and CH franchises then Bret will not get that shot. A little different with Ron with the year of and all but if we couldnt find a way to cheat the system in 2006 to make it happen then I dont think it's possible.

It would be a great idea and I certainly would be in for the fun of it but my thought is if Ronnie didn't play his last game as Cane after all he did for the the HW and CH franchises then Bret will not get that shot. A little different with Ron with the year of and all but if we couldnt find a way to cheat the system in 2006 to make it happen then I dont think it's possible.

But did Francis ever iterate that in public?  Because I don't remember anything like that.

why would Bret not get the chance because Francis accepted a trade to a playoff team for one more shot at the cup vs. "retiring as a 'Cane" - to my mind the situations and circumstances were different for each player. Plus, everybody knew that Ron would get his number in the rafters.

[quote name='sixnitepkg wrote:

bag12day
']It would be a great idea and I certainly would be in for the fun of it but my thought is if Ronnie didn't play his last game as Cane after all he did for the the HW and CH franchises then Bret will not get that shot. A little different with Ron with the year of and all but if we couldnt find a way to cheat the system in 2006 to make it happen then I dont think it's possible.

why would Bret not get the chance because Francis accepted a trade to a playoff team for one more shot at the cup vs. "retiring as a 'Cane" - to my mind the situations and circumstances were different for each player. Plus, everybody knew that Ron would get his number in the rafters.

And Bret basically did the same thing by not re-signing with us (and no there was no public offer on the table but at the closeout interviews in 2007 me thinks Bret asked for that) to enable him to move back to Cali with Christy and kids. Ron never said anything publically but I can not believe that it wasn't discussed.  And remember that no one thought we would not be playing hockey in 2005 after he was "traded" in 2004 and when the new CBA was doone in 2006. Dont get me wrong he deserves the opportunity but I just dont think its feasible with the new CBA.

All good points, including the issues with the CBA. But I'll go on record as saying that Bret will be back for one game. I haven't heard of anyone against it and the other forums and blog sites are all in agreement on this. And I'm sure JR has gotten wind of the possibility.

All good points, including the issues with the CBA. But I'll go on record as saying that Bret will be back for one game. I haven't heard of anyone against it and the other forums and blog sites are all in agreement on this. And I'm sure JR has gotten wind of the possibility.

I don't know how far it will get but if you want to start a petition to post on all the Cane's boards to get signed, we can help you get it to JR.

Since their new slogan and theme for the 09-10 season is all about the Caniacs, why not?  And even if its impossible with the new CBA, at least Brett Hedican will finally get the appreciation of his time spent here in Raleigh from the Canes fans that he missed because of the way that last dreadful game in 08 ended.

If we can get Nic Wallin international attention with the "Vote for Wallin" campaign last year, we should be able to get someones attention for this. smile.gif

Allgood points, including the issues with the CBA. But I'll go on recordas saying that Bret will be back for one game. I haven't heard ofanyone against it and the other forums and blog sites are all inagreement on this. And I'm sure JR has gotten wind of the possibility.

Idon't know how far it will get but if you want to start a petition topost on all the Cane's boards to get signed, we can help you get it toJR.

Since their new slogan and theme for the 09-10 season is allabout the Caniacs, why not?  And even if its impossible with the newCBA, at least Brett Hedican will finally get the appreciation of histime spent here in Raleigh from the Canes fans that he missed becauseof the way that last dreadful game in 08 ended.

If we can getNic Wallin international attention with the "Vote for Wallin" campaignlast year, we should be able to get someones attention for this. smile.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

g105']Allgood points, including the issues with the CBA. But I'll go on recordas saying that Bret will be back for one game. I haven't heard ofanyone against it and the other forums and blog sites are all inagreement on this. And I'm sure JR has gotten wind of the possibility.

Idon't know how far it will get but if you want to start a petition topost on all the Cane's boards to get signed, we can help you get it toJR.

Since their new slogan and theme for the 09-10 season is allabout the Caniacs, why not?  And even if its impossible with the newCBA, at least Brett Hedican will finally get the appreciation of histime spent here in Raleigh from the Canes fans that he missed becauseof the way that last dreadful game in 08 ended.

If we can getNic Wallin international attention with the "Vote for Wallin" campaignlast year, we should be able to get someones attention for this. smile.gifSign me up!roll.gif

I'm not computer literate enough to create a poll on the subject, but I hope someone else would do it in my stead. Or we might have the honorable Mod simply bundle this thread and have someone deliver it to JR, as was done for the departed Frank Kaberle.

I'm not computer literate enough to create a poll on the subject, but I hope someone else would do it in my stead. Or we might have the honorable Mod simply bundle this thread and have someone deliver it to JR, as was done for the departed Frank Kaberle.
If you really want to get some attention for this, I'd have someone start a whole new thread explaining what you're trying to achieve in the opening post.  I know many here are members on other Canes boards too so I'd post it anywhere you can too.  Once you start getting some responses, then we can do what we did for the Vote for Wallin campaign and start spreading the word to various media outlets.  Who knows if they'll pay it any attention but its would sure be a nice PR story to cover about a group of passionate NHL fans.  The NHL could always use some good PR especially in the wake of the Gretzky/Phoenix saga, the Paul Kelly firing and the Versus broadcasting nightmare.

I spoke to a Canes official at the TB game last night and heard the following:

1. JR is completely aware of the idea.

2. The CBA may prevent it.

3. The team isn't likely to put someone into a game who's out of condition.

4. The Canes would have to send another player to the press box for if Bret played just one shift. Risky to chance losing the game.

5. Bret MIGHT be allowed to come out in a Canes sweater and warm up with the team. Would that count?

6. Players are notorious for saying things like he said in order to be nice to the local fans when their local paper calls for an interview.

7. I was encouraged to send JR an email to plant the idea in his mind if I wanted to pursue the issue.

Overall, I love the idea of bringing Bret back, but doubt it will happen.

He doesn't have to play in a game if he signs.. Thurman Thomas did this with the Bills. He signed a 1 day contract, no money, and obviously didn't play. It's more ceremonial than anything. I'd be very much in favor of Hedican doing something like that. It would not be a good idea to have him actually play in a game. Each one is too important to take such a risk.

As I reported in Item 7, I was encouraged to send JR an email about this. I will and encourage others to do the same. His address is jrutherford@carolinahurricanes.com and I was told he reads and answers his email. So send him your thoughts and wishes about how to make this happen. CaniacinCary had the type of solution that might work. I'm firing off a message tonight.

He doesn't have to play in a game if he signs.. Thurman Thomas did this with the Bills. He signed a 1 day contract, no money, and obviously didn't play. It's more ceremonial than anything. I'd be very much in favor of Hedican doing something like that. It would not be a good idea to have him actually play in a game. Each one is too important to take such a risk.

Now that is not a bad idea that may not have been pondered. As long as Bret pays for all the legal fees and stuff that is required in the contract I see no problem with it. I am sure if Hedican wants to retire a Hurricane he would fork over a couple of hunderd bucks to do that.