The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Arena Observations and Suggestions

1) kinda disappointed in the price hikes for concessions - $9 beer - that stinks!!

2) the new jumbotron is a HUGE improvement - they're probably still working out the sceme on the upper part and aren't really going to go all out until regular season, and if you call those upper screens "low res" then you need new glasses - HUGE improvement!!!

I do agree that they need to do something better with the PP / PK times etc. they're hard to see.

3) the new glass IS "seamless" or at least as close as they can come to it and still maintain safety standards - the panes on the ends have to have the extra support due to the punishment they recieve, the sides no longer have the metal supports.

honestly though, if you're so upset you could give me your tickets...  tongue02.gif 

Low turnout.

Prices are higher. But I will overlook it all at this time since PK spent more money this year.

I'll be the first one to say Ward did not look that impressive last night. Could just be the new D in front of him but I can't remember any spectacular saves. Only pucks going in.

Well this will be my second time typing this. Don't type out a long message and then be told you have to sign in, it erases it all for you when you do. I was pretty impressed with the new big screen jumbotron whatever you want to call it. It looks like the top screens are mainly reserved for ads and I think thats going to have to be changed up a little to make certain things better visible. I sat in section 304 which is a straight ahead look at one side of the board and it looked great, but with the penalty information being on the circular ring and on the corners of it I couldn't see it very well. I also didn't notice any player information or pictures during introductions or goals being scored. I'm assuming that will come back during the regular season when stats and all that are kept. As far as the concessions go I don't really have a problem with them going up, the team spent a lot of money this off-season and at least on paper have assembled a good team. The fan turnout was not very good, I imagine that'll change as well once the regular season starts. I'm guessing a lot of the season ticket holders stayed home for this one. Overall though glad hockey is starting back and I'm sure a lot of the little things will get ironed out once the season starts.

$9 BEER, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! What the heck happened? Wasn't it $7.50 last year? Wow, what a jump. Now I'm gonna have to add an extra hour on to my tailgating time (which was already at least 2 hours before) just to avoid having to buy a single beer in there!!

My observations:

1. I didn't notice any changes in concessions because I'm too cheap to eat and drink inside.  That's what tailgating is for (and I have an hour drive home after the game).

2. The new video board is cool but I think they are working the kinks out still and haven't unleashed it's full fury yet.  The PP info needs to be on the top screens or I need to learn where to look for it.

3. They need to give all 26 gamers both preseason games, the 12 gamers one, and sell the rest on a buy one get one free.  That would have to increase the crowd and the revenue.  At least they could park some more cars at $10 and sell some $9 suds.

4. The new gal they have doing the in house announcements and promotions needs some improvement.  I'll chalk that up to nerves on the first night and hope for the best.

This was the first game for my buddy, who came with me to see some NHL action. It was a disappointment, kinda. He did have a good time, but I think it would be been better for me to take him to a regular season game, first. My bad. I wish the turnout was higher. That would have helped the experience be a richer and more enjoyable one for a first timer.

I really like our new scoreboard. My only real complaint has been pointed out already: the Penalty Kill/PP clock was hard to find, and see from my seat in 333. The videos were awesome! They have really taken the production up a notch. Very nice!

I dont think the organization gets any revenue from concessions, I thought it all went to Gale Force/Centennial Authority for maintenance and upgrades to the arena. So they collect concessions for 11 years and besides normal upkeep, have added a new scoreboard, seamless glass, sound system and the LED board around the lower ring and now since they spent some of the bags of money they have compounded, they raise concession prices. $9 for a beer, I think thats probably 2nd highest in the league behind Toronto, I'd rather sit in a dump of an arena with a $6 beer than one with a new scoreboard and $9 beers. They need to open up their books.

I dont think the organization gets any revenue from concessions, I thought it all went to Gale Force/Centennial Authority for maintenance and upgrades to the arena. So they collect concessions for 11 years and besides normal upkeep, have added a new scoreboard, seamless glass, sound system and the LED board around the lower ring and now since they spent some of the bags of money they have compounded, they raise concession prices. $9 for a beer, I think thats probably 2nd highest in the league behind Toronto, I'd rather sit in a dump of an arena with a $6 beer than one with a new scoreboard and $9 beers. They need to open up their books.

Nope, PK gets ALL the concession revenue (and parking) even for NON-Canes events.  That is part of the sweet deal that will keep the canes here for a long long time.  The new scoreboard, glass, sound system, light stripe, etc. is paid for by Wake County taxpayers (even the Buffalo fans).  Every time you dine out or stay in a hotel part of the tax revenue is kept by the county for "entertainment" use.  4 or 5 years ago Gale Force requested and received funds to replace the sound system, jumbotron, and all the back end stuff to make it work.  If memory serves me correct it was like $20mil.  The only thing PK is on the hook for is the increase in salaries this season!!

$9 beer is cheap, I volunteer for a non profit that runs several beer stands at Walnut Creek.  The "starting price" for beer that is $9 for a small cup of domestic and $14 for a 24 ounce import.

$9 beer is cheap

The only way $9 beer is cheap is in relation to the expense at other places.  My beer complaints (which are numerous) have more to do with selection than in price.  Occasionally I buy a beer at the game but I do most of my drinking in the parking lot before the game since I have to drive home anyway.  Besides, if beer is cheap then the knuckleheads will get drunk and then we'd have more obnoxious fans.  Can you imagine a Buffalo or Pittsburgh game with say $4 beer?

Was disappointed to see that Goodberry's was gone. until my son reminded me that the Goodberry's missed the 2005/2006 season. There is a new ice cream stand, called Twisted Waffle or something like that, near section 116. One of the RBC staff said that this was an RBC owned and operated kiosk - meaning they keep all the profits I guess. They want to open one up on the 2nd floor but Hardies would have to give up a spot for that to happen.

Was disappointed to see that Goodberry's was gone. until my son reminded me that the Goodberry's missed the 2005/2006 season. There is a new ice cream stand, called Twisted Waffle or something like that, near section 116. One of the RBC staff said that this was an RBC owned and operated kiosk - meaning they keep all the profits I guess. They want to open one up on the 2nd floor but Hardies would have to give up a spot for that to happen.
My daughter said the Twisted Waffle was great. And not all the kiosks were there or open.

If $9 is cheap then I'll be on the lookout for you so you can dish me the chump change to purchase a beer.  I hope the aquafina you drink is about $7 a bottle.

Mine is usually free, I have a bet with my stepson that whenever Staal or Sammy score I get an aquafina and in his case whenever Whitney or Cole scored he got a beer.  I came out on the good end of that one.

BOTTOM LINE IS:  If people would quit buying $9 beer then the price would come down but as long as tons of folks will pony up for it then what incentive is there for PK to lower the price (same with Walnut Creek, everyone complained about the price but it didn't stop them from drinking 4 or 5).  BTW, there were tons of folks at the preseason game drinking $9 beers so don't expect the price to come down this season.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97']

$9 beer is cheap

The only way $9 beer is cheap is in relation to the expense at other places.  My beer complaints (which are numerous) have more to do with selection than in price.  Occasionally I buy a beer at the game but I do most of my drinking in the parking lot before the game since I have to drive home anyway.  Besides, if beer is cheap then the knuckleheads will get drunk and then we'd have more obnoxious fans.  Can you imagine a Buffalo or Pittsburgh game with say $4 beer?

Exactly, we should double the price of beer for those games!!!  Never mind, just means only one of them will be sober.

Gotta say that the new Scoreboard looked clear and AMAZING! And I could read it from the 300's too! The PK/PP clock was hard to read. From what I understand, there will be a clock on the top screens eventually. As far as the game went, I was impressed by how Erik Cole and Eric Staal played. Also Zach Boychuck showed some pretty good effort too. Can't wait for October 2nd wink.gif

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

spiz']Was disappointed to see that Goodberry's was gone. until my son reminded me that the Goodberry's missed the 2005/2006 season. There is a new ice cream stand, called Twisted Waffle or something like that, near section 116. One of the RBC staff said that this was an RBC owned and operated kiosk - meaning they keep all the profits I guess. They want to open one up on the 2nd floor but Hardies would have to give up a spot for that to happen.

My daughter said the Twisted Waffle was great. And not all the kiosks were there or open.

I have to disagree about the new ice cream place - I thought it was AWFUL.  Way overpriced and the "soft-serve and flavor bursts" had a very chemical like taste, but no actual ice cream taste.  I was a sucker and tried it once, but will NOT spend money on that again.  I'll miss Goodberry's.

New Jumbotron took a while to get use to. It will take a couple of more games to figure it all out. Kind of like the new fangled message board.

Yep prices did go up but did you not expect it!

Mr responses:

1 Yeah, prices for food and drink are more this year.  But PK overspent his self-proclaimed budget for salaries, so let's hope we all think it was a great idea next June when we raise the Cup.

2 My glasses are fine; that's why the secondary screens/ribbons on the board look so coarse to me.  Not many pixels per unit area, unlike the main four screens.  I was thinking that the entire board would be of the same resolution as the main screens.

3 I looked at some photos I took over the past few years; the glass where I sit (behind the Canes bench) is the same as always.  I was thinking that seamless meant just that; no seams, one piece from corner to corner.  Lack of support columns between panes does not constitute seamless.  Don't know about the ends and penalty box side, but nothing changed in front of me.  And they need to clean the glass.  Looks like it has never been cleaned.  And this is glass, not plexiglass, so these aren't scratches I'm looking through.  It should come clean.

And as msgtcody said, replying and logging in are screwy.mad.gif  This is the third time I've typed this.  On my computer setup, there is no way to log in prior to replying to a thread.  Type a reply and then log in and it's erased.  I finally figured out how to do it, but that's another issue.

Mr responses:

2 My glasses are fine; that's why the secondary screens/ribbons on the board look so coarse to me.  Not many pixels per unit area, unlike the main four screens.  I was thinking that the entire board would be of the same resolution as the main screens.

3 I looked at some photos I took over the past few years; the glass where I sit (behind the Canes bench) is the same as always.  I was thinking that seamless meant just that; no seams, one piece from corner to corner.  Lack of support columns between panes does not constitute seamless.  Don't know about the ends and penalty box side, but nothing changed in front of me.  And they need to clean the glass.  Looks like it has never been cleaned.  And this is glass, not plexiglass, so these aren't scratches I'm looking through.  It should come clean.

first of all - I noticed that you sit down low - since the jumbotron is a bit wider than the old one, it may be an angle issue - try looking at it from the 200's or 300's - then it'll be clearer. Even the old one looked better from the 200's than the 100's.

second - "seamless glass" as you describe it ("one piece from corner-to corner") is impossible - a break in the glass would end the game - would take hours or even days to put up an entire new side of glass (not to mention some serious heavy lifting equipment to lift a single pane of glass that enormous!) even from corner - to - box (player or penalty, depending on the side) would be a massive piece weighing a ton or so (leaving aside the fact that a sheet of glass that complicated and large would be inherently unstable simply due to the nature of glass itself, and would have to be a couple of inches thick to be stable enough to withstand the punishment it would have to take)

- plus, it would be prohibitively expensive can you imagine how much that would cost?

nevermind the safety issue - an entire 100 some odd feet of glass shattering all over the lower 3-4 rows of fans because some guy gets checked through the glass at one end?? so, until they come up with something clear yet tougher than steel yet lighter than glass this is pretty much as good as it gets, simply due to physics. Have hope, I'm pretty sure that one day they'll do it - and I'll enjoy it too...knowing my luck, they'll probably come up with it when I'm too old and senile to follow a hockey game.

oh, and I'm with you on the cleaning issue - perhaps they'll start doing that for the regular season games.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97']

$9 beer is cheap

I think the $9 beer is the high end beer, not domestic.  I could be wrong.   

I think the $9 beer is the high end beer, not domestic.  I could be wrong.   

Please check your PM smile.gif

[quote name='pimp.gifpimp.gifsuper-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97']

$9 beer is cheap

I don't think Goodberrys is a sponsor anymore.  Not on the sponsorship page.    But not all concessions were opened so who knows.  One thing I knew about was that the Lexus Champions Club is no longer sponsored by Lexus.   I knew they were looking for a sponsor and I guess are still working it.   On-Ice ads were no painted yet so will be interesting to see if any new sponsors.  They lost many but the board ads are the same with many open.

Cheap hot dog was $3.50 so not sure if it went up 50 cents but still good for a quick eat between oat sodas.   I sat on the glass and really like the new glass.   Looked like not only the glass is new and seamless, the boards are new.    For the scoreboard, I like it.  Ilike it a lot.  Took a couple of seconds to find things like SOG and PP time not worth complaining about.    

I just talked to my contact at the RBC Center, and he said they are holding back what the video board can do during the preseason. They will unleashed the full capabilities of the video board for the regular season.

[quote name='sixnitepkg wrote:

g105']Mr responses:

first of all - I noticed that you sit down low - since the jumbotron is a bit wider than the old one, it may be an angle issue - try looking at it from the 200's or 300's - then it'll be clearer. Even the old one looked better from the 200's than the 100's.

second - "seamless glass" as you describe it ("one piece from corner-to corner") is impossible - a break in the glass would end the game - would take hours or even days to put up an entire new side of glass (not to mention some serious heavy lifting equipment to lift a single pane of glass that enormous!) even from corner - to - box (player or penalty, depending on the side) would be a massive piece weighing a ton or so (leaving aside the fact that a sheet of glass that complicated and large would be inherently unstable simply due to the nature of glass itself, and would have to be a couple of inches thick to be stable enough to withstand the punishment it would have to take)

- plus, it would be prohibitively expensive can you imagine how much that would cost?

nevermind the safety issue - an entire 100 some odd feet of glass shattering all over the lower 3-4 rows of fans because some guy gets checked through the glass at one end?? so, until they come up with something clear yet tougher than steel yet lighter than glass this is pretty much as good as it gets, simply due to physics. Have hope, I'm pretty sure that one day they'll do it - and I'll enjoy it too...knowing my luck, they'll probably come up with it when I'm too old and senile to follow a hockey game.

oh, and I'm with you on the cleaning issue - perhaps they'll start doing that for the regular season games.

I think that force field they had on Lost in Space or hull shields in Star Trek would work nicely.alien.gif