The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Arena Observations and Suggestions

OK, I started this thread, and I'll bow out with my final comments/responses (not wanting to beat a dead horse). As for the glass, I admit to sitting pretty low (five rows behind the Canes bench), so I watch the games through the glass. And as for seamless, nothing has changed in front of me. It's the same glass and supports since the opening night of 2003. I have photos to prove it. And it's dirtier now. I understand the difficulty of installing one single pane that covers long spans, but that's what I thought of when I heard seamless. And I find myself really craning my neck to look up at the new board, so I guess my viewing angle could have something to do with the way the secondary screens appear. The new board seems to be hung higher in the arena now and may appear different from the 200 and 300 levels. I'll go check it out at the next game. Not complaining about these issues, mind you, just my observations.

If you are sitting in either of the ends, then yes, it is the same glass.  This is because the ends take a much heavier beating than the sides, so seamless glass is not really possible there yet.  I find it hard to believe that they would not clean the glass, but you may very well be right about that.  One thing I will say is that even if they do clean them, they could get dirty fast.  In warm-ups alone you've got tons of pucks hitting the glass and leaving marks.

If you are sitting on the sides, then it is most definitely brand new seamless glass, and I have the photos to prove that.  I can definitely see how people are a little misled by the word "seamless", though, although I do think it is an improvement over the metal stanchions.

seamlessglass.jpg

Ahh...thanks for the pics JHawkins. I think g105 is out of luck with that - aren't those the kind of boards that were behind the bench when Torts got squirty with the Washington fans during the playoffs? There's a very small gap between them to give them some flex. Probably not a good idea in the bench area!

[quote name='acaniac wrote:

sixnitepkg wrote:

g105']Mr responses:

2 My glasses are fine; that's why the secondary screens/ribbons on the board look so coarse to me.  Not many pixels per unit area, unlike the main four screens.  I was thinking that the entire board would be of the same resolution as the main screens.

3 I looked at some photos I took over the past few years; the glass where I sit (behind the Canes bench) is the same as always.  I was thinking that seamless meant just that; no seams, one piece from corner to corner.  Lack of support columns between panes does not constitute seamless.  Don't know about the ends and penalty box side, but nothing changed in front of me.  And they need to clean the glass.  Looks like it has never been cleaned.  And this is glass, not plexiglass, so these aren't scratches I'm looking through.  It should come clean.

first of all - I noticed that you sit down low - since the jumbotron is a bit wider than the old one, it may be an angle issue - try looking at it from the 200's or 300's - then it'll be clearer. Even the old one looked better from the 200's than the 100's.

second - "seamless glass" as you describe it ("one piece from corner-to corner") is impossible - a break in the glass would end the game - would take hours or even days to put up an entire new side of glass (not to mention some serious heavy lifting equipment to lift a single pane of glass that enormous!) even from corner - to - box (player or penalty, depending on the side) would be a massive piece weighing a ton or so (leaving aside the fact that a sheet of glass that complicated and large would be inherently unstable simply due to the nature of glass itself, and would have to be a couple of inches thick to be stable enough to withstand the punishment it would have to take)

- plus, it would be prohibitively expensive can you imagine how much that would cost?

nevermind the safety issue - an entire 100 some odd feet of glass shattering all over the lower 3-4 rows of fans because some guy gets checked through the glass at one end?? so, until they come up with something clear yet tougher than steel yet lighter than glass this is pretty much as good as it gets, simply due to physics. Have hope, I'm pretty sure that one day they'll do it - and I'll enjoy it too...knowing my luck, they'll probably come up with it when I'm too old and senile to follow a hockey game.

oh, and I'm with you on the cleaning issue - perhaps they'll start doing that for the regular season games.

I think that force field they had on Lost in Space or hull shields in Star Trek would work nicely.alien.gif

Star Trek shields sound great, until we have a warp core breach, and the whole area goes KABOOM!

Star Trek shields sound great, until we have a warp core breach, and the whole area goes KABOOM!

Our new motto could be "Resistance is futile".

Worf could be on defense.  Who would coach, Picard or Kirk?

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

dogbutler']

Picard, Kirk would be too distracted by the Storm Squad. pimp.gif

as long as we're on the Star Trek train of thought - how about "transparent aluminum" - name where that idea came from and win prize!!
Star Trek, The Voyage Home.  That awful whale movie.  I do love Scotty trying to talk to the computer and Bones giving the woman the kidney pill.

sixnitepkg']as long as we're on the Star Trek train of thought - how about "transparent aluminum" - name where that idea came from and win prize!!

Star Trek, The Voyage Home.  That awful whale movie.  I do love Scotty trying to talk to the computer and Bones giving the woman the kidney pill.

let's not forget Spock trying to learn and understand "colorful metaphors".

dogbutler']

Super dave, Have you seen Nicky during the playoffs...Worf is already on defense!

Wow, you guys have just solidified your nerdness, way to go, what is this topic about now? oh yeah the arena, I'll base my judgements on opening night, the preseason is practice for the video guys as well as the players, so Can't get too worked up about little things yet.

Wow, you guys have just solidified your nerdness, way to go, what is this topic about now? oh yeah the arena, I'll base my judgements on opening night, the preseason is practice for the video guys as well as the players, so Can't get too worked up about little things yet.
Any member of  The Federation has the right to wander off topic from time to time.

Don't be hatin'

nicolasskinner']maybe its one of the side effects from those pills you've been taking.

Well, I have been known to "boldly go where no man has gone before" so, yeah.

No you haven't!!  I tried to "send you there" last Friday and you boldly told me that you "wouldn't be flying wingman on that mission".

Back on topic please.   This is actually a pretty good topic if someone from the front office was interested in getting some arena feedback.

sixnitepkg']as long as we're on the Star Trek train of thought - how about "transparent aluminum" - name where that idea came from and win prize!!

smilin' bob wins the cupie doll!! but TSA's right - back on topic - because yesterday while working on my own "acute post-prandial upper abdominal distention" via a sausage at the deck, I overheard a discussion that indicates that apparently some observations on here have been heard 

-

because yesterday while working on my own "acute post-prandial upperabdominal distention" via a sausage at the deck, I overheard adiscussion that indicates that apparently some observations on herehave been heard

You just never know who reads this board. wink.gif

It will be good to see how things go this Friday. If they try any new thing with the Jumbotron.

I have it from an inside source that they are holding back the full video board show / capabilities during preseason. The full fury of the new video board will be unleashed for the regular season. eek.gif

So you probably won't see anything new this Friday.

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

acaniac']

It will be good to see how things go this Friday. If they try any new thing with the Jumbotron.

I have it from an inside source that they are holding back the full video board show / capabilities during preseason. The full fury of the new video board will be unleashed for the regular season. eek.gif

So you probably won't see anything new this Friday.

Which makes total sense so they can make opening night special.  Thanks for the info.

[quote name='sixnitepkg wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

smilin' bob wins the cupie doll!! but TSA's right - back on topic - because yesterday while working on my own "acute post-prandial upper abdominal distention" via a sausage at the deck, I overheard a discussion that indicates that apparently some observations on here have been heard 

I'll be at the game Friday to pick up my cupie doll.  Oh and TSA we really weren't off topic, 6nite was suggesting we contact Mr. Scott to get some of that cool transparent aluminum for the side boards which is technically an arena observation.eyes.gif

The main comment I'd have was the way the power play information is displayed but I've already said that.  It may be more of a "training issue" for me though since I'm so used to the old way.

It's dancin' nanner time

banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

sixnitepkg wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

I'll be at the game Friday to pick up my cupie doll....

...The main comment I'd have was the way the power play information is displayed...

eh hem...  that is exactly the topic I overheard being discussed... guess smilin' bob's got pull...