The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Arena Observations and Suggestions

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

acaniac']It will be good to see how things go this Friday. If they try any new thing with the Jumbotron.

I have it from an inside source that they are holding back the full video board show / capabilities during preseason. The full fury of the new video board will be unleashed for the regular season. eek.gif

So you probably won't see anything new this Friday.

That's unfortunate really.  Friday's game is going to be the first one my daughter has ever been to and she is extremely excited to go.  I was hoping they'd begin getting more into the regular season's type shows in the arena as we got closer to the regular season.  Hopefully there will be more energy than the first home pre-season game, which was pretty disappointing really.  I can only home more fans turn out and we get the place rocking.  Maybe with a strong lineup and our veterans on the ice we can put some points up there and give them hell.

I just wouldn't use a preseason game to try and sell someone on live hockey.  I'm sure the crowd will be rocking when the games actually count.

Tonight! tonight! there is a Hockey game at the RBC tonight!!!!

Wonder if our own Katherine Fritsch is going to sing the National anthem tonight?

KK Fritsch did sing last night, awesome as always.

One thing I noticed during the anthem that I had missed before - there are three other flags hanging next to the NC/US/Canada flags. Sweden, Germany, and Czech - I assume for Wallin and the departed Seids and Kabs. I think that's cool. Not sure if there are flags on the other side, but if not it's a good time to update.

Did they change the penalty counter from the first game? They are a little hard to spot at first, and I think they would be hard to see from certain angles. I'd think they could use the top boards.

KK Fritsch did sing last night, awesome as always.

One thing I noticed during the anthem that I had missed before - there are three other flags hanging next to the NC/US/Canada flags. Sweden, Germany, and Czech - I assume for Wallin and the departed Seids and Kabs. I think that's cool. Not sure if there are flags on the other side, but if not it's a good time to update.

Did they change the penalty counter from the first game? They are a little hard to spot at first, and I think they would be hard to see from certain angles. I'd think they could use the top boards.

yep, the first game the penalty counter was on the lower ring.  Moving it to the upper ring is an improvement but I think it should be on 4 of the upper panels.

Penalty information is still hard to read and I haven't been able to figure out where it is. Also, SOG was on the top ring but interrupted by John Deere logos. One minute it was there, then it was gone. I find it a bit frustrating that after spending several millions for this new board, it seems like no one thought ahead about how they were going to set it up. Usually in the project solution process, the goals are first established and then the product to meet them is designed and produced. Seems like the reverse here, a multifunctional device is installed and then the techies play around to figure out how to use it. OTOH, I have to admit the board looks better from the mid level than it does from low in the bowl.

I'll admit - you were right in a way - upon closer inspection the smaller screens and rings aren't as "HD" as the main screens - but still far better than the old. seeing it shut down you can tell the pixels aren't as close as they are on the main screen.

look at the positive side - We were both right on that...

they really need to sort out the PP/PK counter issues - and I'm with JR - put 'em on the ribbon, but put them in the 4 corners so they're visible to all, and people will figure out which corner works best for their seats.

The new Jumbo Tron is awesome it is legit this year. Of course everything went up I am not shocked by that I wonder how long it will take before a hotdog is $10 and a bbq sandwich is $12 my guess is in 3 seasons gives us a better reason to tailgate . I am tired of going to pre season games and am ready for the real thing cant wait to go to the game friday.

Penalty information is still hard to read and I haven't been able to figure out where it is. Also, SOG was on the top ring but interrupted by John Deere logos. One minute it was there, then it was gone. I find it a bit frustrating that after spending several millions for this new board, it seems like no one thought ahead about how they were going to set it up. Usually in the project solution process, the goals are first established and then the product to meet them is designed and produced. Seems like the reverse here, a multifunctional device is installed and then the techies play around to figure out how to use it. OTOH, I have to admit the board looks better from the mid level than it does from low in the bowl.
Penalty info was on the 4 corners of the top ring. Like I and 97 said, put it on the top boards too, for the sides and ends. Right now they are just showing the logo there. See the pic here: link. I don't remember not seeing the SOG info on the ring, but I might not have looked as often or just missed the ads. grin.gif

As far as project process, my experience has been that rather than define requirements before searching for solutions, most customers look for what others similar to them have bought, then figure out how to make it work for them. Saves all that heavy thinking for the consultants* that are usually provided by the vendor for a nominal fee. laugh.gif  That's probably what was done here. Folks will get used to it.

Disclaimer: I am a consultant. nerd.gif

[quote name='JLP wrote:

g105']Penalty information is still hard to read and I haven't been able to figure out where it is. Also, SOG was on the top ring but interrupted by John Deere logos. One minute it was there, then it was gone. I find it a bit frustrating that after spending several millions for this new board, it seems like no one thought ahead about how they were going to set it up. Usually in the project solution process, the goals are first established and then the product to meet them is designed and produced. Seems like the reverse here, a multifunctional device is installed and then the techies play around to figure out how to use it. OTOH, I have to admit the board looks better from the mid level than it does from low in the bowl.

Penalty info was on the 4 corners of the top ring. Like I and 97 said, put it on the top boards too, for the sides and ends. Right now they are just showing the logo there. See the pic here: link. I don't remember not seeing the SOG info on the ring, but I might not have looked as often or just missed the ads. grin.gif

As far as project process, my experience has been that rather than define requirements before searching for solutions, most customers look for what others similar to them have bought, then figure out how to make it work for them. Saves all that heavy thinking for the consultants* that are usually provided by the vendor for a nominal fee. laugh.gif  That's probably what was done here. Folks will get used to it.

you also have to  remember that this is the preseason, a time when they work out the bugs of all things new.  they didn't start working on canes content until 2-3 weeks ago.  See the blogspot, they gutted the control room in addition to adding the HD Jumbotron.  those boys have had a busy summer so we need to cut them some slack.

Was disappointed to see that Goodberry's was gone. until my son reminded me that the Goodberry's missed the 2005/2006 season. There is a new ice cream stand, called Twisted Waffle or something like that, near section 116. One of the RBC staff said that this was an RBC owned and operated kiosk - meaning they keep all the profits I guess. They want to open one up on the 2nd floor but Hardies would have to give up a spot for that to happen.
Goodberry's used to sponser the Birthday Bash....anyone recall if did they still do that promotion with a different sponsor, was a done without a sponsor,  or was it just skipped outright?

On the lower level at the east and west main entrances, they have Dipping Dots stands beside the secondary Eye stores and the stands are angled out into the flow of traffic which creates a congested area.  Angle those things to the sides so the traffic can flow.

On the lower level at the east and west main entrances, they have Dipping Dots stands beside the secondary Eye stores and the stands are angled out into the flow of traffic which creates a congested area.  Angle those things to the sides so the traffic can flow.
Which means they probably left that Goodberry stand as is.  The long lines into the concourse between periods is really frustrating.  People are left on their own to form a line.  Well, enough said.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

super-dave-1']On the lower level at the east and west main entrances, they have Dipping Dots stands beside the secondary Eye stores and the stands are angled out into the flow of traffic which creates a congested area.  Angle those things to the sides so the traffic can flow.

Which means they probably left that Goodberry stand as is.  The long lines into the concourse between periods is really frustrating.  People are left on their own to form a line.  Well, enough said.

Goodberry's is now GoneBerry's, they aren't there anymore.  Sad day in arena land.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

super-dave-1']On the lower level at the east and west main entrances, they have Dipping Dots stands beside the secondary Eye stores and the stands are angled out into the flow of traffic which creates a congested area.  Angle those things to the sides so the traffic can flow.

Goodberry's is now GoneBerry's, they aren't there anymore.  Sad day in arena land.

Well, I for one will not miss them, or that stupid line.

[quote name='JLP wrote:

g105']Penalty information is still hard to read and I haven't been able to figure out where it is. Also, SOG was on the top ring but interrupted by John Deere logos. One minute it was there, then it was gone. I find it a bit frustrating that after spending several millions for this new board, it seems like no one thought ahead about how they were going to set it up. Usually in the project solution process, the goals are first established and then the product to meet them is designed and produced. Seems like the reverse here, a multifunctional device is installed and then the techies play around to figure out how to use it. OTOH, I have to admit the board looks better from the mid level than it does from low in the bowl.

For those of us who have seen a few new HD jumbo-trons, and know a good one when we see it (like the one above), our newfangled contraption is not very user friendly. It's an abomination!

The United Center jumbo-tron above, I absolutely love the lower ring, which is just regular game information, right there, no searching around the screen trying to figure out where stuff is located.  When there is a penalty, the smaller HD screens directly above the larger screens shows player number, time, infraction, and countdown. It's a split screen view: left side shows the visitor penalty info, and right side shows home.

When it is all said and done, I really DO NOT like our new jumbo-tron. Why they didn't consult with me is mind-boggling. (sarcasm)

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

JLP']

For those of us who have seen a few new HD jumbo-trons, and know a good one when we see it (like the one above), our newfangled contraption is not very user friendly. It's an abomination!

The United Center jumbo-tron above, I absolutely love the lower ring, which is just regular game information, right there, no searching around the screen trying to figure out where stuff is located.  When there is a penalty, the smaller HD screens directly above the larger screens shows player number, time, infraction, and countdown. It's a split screen view: left side shows the visitor penalty info, and right side shows home.

When it is all said and done, I really DO NOT like our new jumbo-tron. Why they didn't consult with me is mind-boggling. (sarcasm)

It is possible there is a learning curve to be had and things will change for the better over time.  This goes for its programming and the fan curve.  They have already made some changes to it.

Please don't tell me you prefer the old one over this one.  Its better than the hash made of the Message board.roll.gif

Although not an arena comment, I do have a personnel comment.  Does anyone else find the new female announcer who tag teams with Ron the Ref to have an annoying, squeaky, fingernails on chalkboard kind of voice or is it just me?  eek.gif

Nancy - I didn't think she was that bad, just difficult to hear. I think she just needs a different mic or better settings on the sound board. It's hard to test without a crowd, so hopefully it will improve with each game.

Regarding the food prices....one it is a stadium and they are inflated. But I really wouldn't mind the prices for the saussages, the "cheese steaks" the bbq or the roast beef sandwiches if at least the rolls were not cold.