The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Arena Observations and Suggestions

She seemed either really nervous, or just really bad, a little bit more enthusiasm and she'll be alright. It's preseason for her too, let's cut her a break for at least another couple days.

and as far as the board goes, it is awesome, i like where the clocks are and love how there are more angles for replays while the noise and other animations are going on on the top layer.  It is a little hard to find the penalty clocks but once we get used to it, it won't be a big deal, they are visible and still much bigger than they used to be.  So Kudos to the megatron and all the guys that know how to us it. 

Although not an arena comment, I do have a personnel comment.  Does anyone else find the new female announcer who tag teams with Ron the Ref to have an annoying, squeaky, fingernails on chalkboard kind of voice or is it just me?  eek.gif

I noticed she didn't make an appearance on opening night. We'll see if she's back Tuesday.  I vote NO!

One other note for the between period "entertainment".   For the Linda Craft segment, put the house puzzle thing that you're supposed to be trying to watch on the big screen, and please move Linda to the small screen. Please oh Please!!

Although not an arena comment, I do have a personnel comment.  Does anyone else find the new female announcer who tag teams with Ron the Ref to have an annoying, squeaky, fingernails on chalkboard kind of voice or is it just me?  eek.gif

No the Panthers PA announcer is annoying in all of those ways!

Last Friday, the board display was much improved. I loved the way they spread a player photo over the main HD display and the secondary ribbons/panels. Neat. However, a couple items still need some improvement. I never saw SOG on the board; I had to look across the arena and read the original amber panels near the main arena ribbon board. And when they showed scores from around the league, they were posted on the upper ribbon with no team name, just their logos. There was no way I could read them, as they disappeared from my view around the circle, and the resolution of the ribbon isn't high enough to properly display them anyhow. All the while, the top screens remained empty but could have shown this info. Don't get me wrong, I love the new board. I'm only posting this to (hopefully) to bring these observations to the attention of the crew who runs it.

Now this has nothing to do with hockey or the board: JLP said, "my experience has been that rather than define requirements before searching for solutions, most customers look for what others similar to them have bought, then figure out how to make it work for them." I'm going take exception to that method of arriving at a solution. The fundamental principle is that if you don't ask the right question, you won't get the right answer. You first define the problem and then develop a solution. I still maintain that the opposite has occurred here., unless the solution turned out to be so complex it's taking the techies a while to learn how to operate their new "solution."

Now this has nothing to do with hockey or the board: JLP said, "my experience has been that rather than define requirements before searching for solutions, most customers look for what others similar to them have bought, then figure out how to make it work for them." I'm going take exception to that method of arriving at a solution. The fundamental principle is that if you don't ask the right question, you won't get the right answer. You first define the problem and then develop a solution. I still maintain that the opposite has occurred here., unless the solution turned out to be so complex it's taking the techies a while to learn how to operate their new "solution."
Yeah, OT...but to clarify, I said that is my experience, not my methodology. wink.gif  Then again, if you think about it, "arena video board" is not exactly a unique use case. At any rate, it's good to hear they are improving the usage. Look forward to seeing it next time we go!wiki-favicon-sharpened.pngfavicon.icofavicon.icofavicon.ico

My "source" tells me that she is no longer in that position.  We have been spared.

I am so impressed with the quality of the videos and overall production value for this season. The Canesvision crew have really stepped it up a few notches! Just awesome!!

I am so impressed with the quality of the videos and overall production value for this season. The Canesvision crew have really stepped it up a few notches! Just awesome!!

and they are just getting started.  in addition to the jumbotron they also got a completely new control room.  I can't wait to see  what they do when they get really comfortable with all the new stuff.

Was the ribbon around the arena replaced when the board was replaced?  It seems clearer, but I may just be noticing it more.
wasn't replaced but the computer equipment that drives it was, sending higher resolution images to it.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but on the food front they have made to order funnel cakes. Very good too.
What vendor has the funnel cakes?  I was looking for 'em on Friday, but couldn't spot where they were selling them.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

super-dave-1']Was the ribbon around the arena replaced when the board was replaced?  It seems clearer, but I may just be noticing it more.

wasn't replaced but the computer equipment that drives it was, sending higher resolution images to it.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that possibility.  I know when they were doing the "noise" graphics that the ribbon seemed to be about as clear as the main board.

One thing that has frustrated me is that they removed the shots total from the videoboard. It was there for the first preseason game, but it has not been there for the regular season. That was very helpful for the many areas of the upper deck that cannot see the shot boards due to banners or flags hanging in the way.

Where did the Carolina Brewing Company selection go ? How about supporting your local breweries rather than the latest marketing strategy from Budweiser. I might sound like a snob, but I like what I like, and the guys in Holly Springs are gonna have to have their tap handle put back before I buy another beer at a game. I'm patient, I'll wait. 

Where did the Carolina Brewing Company selection go ? How about supporting your local breweries rather than the latest marketing strategy from Budweiser. I might sound like a snob, but I like what I like, and the guys in Holly Springs are gonna have to have their tap handle put back before I buy another beer at a game. I'm patient, I'll wait. 

No need to wait..just look for it.  They dont offer all the beers everywhere.

I bought 4 CPAs last night...cold and delicious. 

You have to go to a beer stand for good beer, they just have "water" in the taps at the main food stands.  I have 2 different good beer stands near my seats.

Where do you sit, I am sure CPA is near you.

Foothills brewery has their own bar around Sec. 113 or so.  They also have foothills at the 2nd floor bar.    

I like Big Boss but not many will drink it and it would take up a tap that sells slow.    I also buy Car. Brewing products at the game.  Just have to look for it.   Foothills is a sponsor but Bud pays some decent sponsor bucks so of course they are going to be in more taps.......and should.

I do support Bud outside of the arena because they are a sponsor although I don't drink that much domestic pilsner.    I do drink Foothills where ever it is sold outside of the arena since they are a Canes sponsor.

Four beers at one game?  Don't you love to show off your money.

I've got a beer on layaway that I hope to enjoy about Feb. for my birthday.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

CamWardSaysNo']

Four beers at one game?  Don't you love to show off your money.

I've got a beer on layaway that I hope to enjoy about Feb. for my birthday.

On the four beers I wasn't thinking so much about the money as much as I was hoping this person is not driving. Not sure why anyone needs to drink 4 beers at a game, but it's really none of our business unless of course he's one of those people that annoy the crap out of me because they drink 4 beers. We had a guy near us last night that every time Crosby touched the puck he yelled at the top of his inebriated lungs.....OVERRATED! I was hoping Crosby would score just to shut his pie hole.

On another arena topic, it is now officially time to end the Family Feud contest. That sucks so bad, I may start drinking four beers just to tolerate it. I'll make sure I have a designated driver.

They have to do something about the ACC banners in the corners. Cannot see portions of the multi million dollar jumbotron becasue of it. I thought after some discussion this would have happened by now. just need to raise them 12" or 18"

I miss the out of town scoreboard that used to be shown on the jumbotron late each intermission. For the briefest time during the 1st game, I think they showed one score from a game during a TV time out, but that was it. I like getting score updates from around the NHL during intermission - hope they bring that back

They have to do something about the ACC banners in the corners. Cannot see portions of the multi million dollar jumbotron becasue of it. I thought after some discussion this would have happened by now. just need to raise them 12" or 18"
As an N.C. State guy that has many hours and dollars tied up in that university (both my daughter and me), I have to say that I hate to see those banners that say "NCAA Tournament" or "NCAA Tournament Second Round" or anything equally demeaning.  It's embarassing.  You have to win something to hang a banner.  ACC Tournament.  ACC regular season.  NCAA regional.  NCAA championship.  Anything else needs to come down and then you won't have to worry about the banners getting in the way.

You can get CPA at the stand at Section 124, and at Section 322/