The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac_fan

TSN 2009-2010 NHL PREVIEW

I kind of like it when we're the underdogs, it gives us something to fight for. However, I know most people still think that we're less than. I'm interested in what he has to say about us. I bet we're not in the top 5 though.

Well 9 is out and its not us.

This is horrible news. When we won the cup we were expected to be one of the doormats of the league. After the cup win we were expected to be a contender again. We all know where that got us.

I am doing my best not to get my hopes up, but I've come down with a horrid case of optimism based on our lineup, and our spending towards the cap.

Our new players are probably the exact targets that JR wanted. I can't think of a single GM in the league that probably more hit his targets then JR did this year top to bottom.

So, lets keep Erik Cole away from the soccer ball pregame, Cam Ward away from diet books, Rod away from "fun runs," Walks away from anyone that won't take off their helment to fight, Rosie away from the endboards and bad edges, Sutter away from Doug Weight and anyone that to this day suggested Irbe wash his pads.

Sigh....at least I am not superstitious even if I did check to see if Scott Stevens could be denied access to the RBC center. ...... ya know that guy has been skating from what I hear. :P

I think his power rankings are based on how teams finished last season so we should be in the top 4, we also made a few changes which on paper should have us doing better than last year.

I think his power rankings are based on how teams finished last season so we should be in the top 4, we also made a few changes which on paper should have us doing better than last year.
His rankings are not based on where a team ended up last season. The New York Rangers, who finished 12th in the NHL last season (One spot behind us) was ranked at 22 by TSN. 

At this point, the following teams have yet to be ranked.....
Carolina, Boston, Detroit, Washington, San Jose, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

I'm going to say Carolina gets ranked either 5th or 6th. Vancouver is going to be ranked at 7th for sure, they have the defense and goal tending to win a lot of games - But you need scoring too.... Which is something Vancouver lacks outside of the twins. Boston or Carolina will take 6th and the same goes for 5th. Its a toss up between us and Boston for those two spots. The loss of Kessel is big, but they ultimately make up for it with the other moves they have made (i.e. - Morris) plus, having a Vezina winner goalie is never a bad thing. 

Being ranked this high is great, in my opinion. Its nice that a small market team is getting some positive attention for a change. 

[quote name='carcanes67 wrote:

caniac-97']I think his power rankings are based on how teams finished last season so we should be in the top 4, we also made a few changes which on paper should have us doing better than last year.

Being ranked this high is great, in my opinion. Its nice that a small market team is getting some positive attention for a change. 

I agree. I completely understand wanting to fly under the radar, but making it to the final 4 precluded that anyway. Let's at least get a little respect. Love it.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

carcanes67
wrote:

caniac
-97']I think his power rankings are based on how teams finished last season so we should be in the top 4, we also made a few changes which on paper should have us doing better than last year.

I agree. I completely understand wanting to fly under the radar, but making it to the final 4 precluded that anyway. Let's at least get a little respect. Love it.

It's nice to be acknowledged for your accomplishments.  Regardless of were we are finally ranked in this sports writer's eye you still have to play the game.  If you are ranked low you try to disprove the ranking and if you are ranked high you try to live up to the ranking.  I'm happy for our team that they are finally having some recognition  for last year. Game On.......happy.gif

happy.gif  

i think its funny that if you go on the article for the devils, the posters are angry that carolina is ranked higher than their respective teams.

I guess they forgot who beat them last year in the playoffslaugh.gif

Canes are in at #7: Hurricanes can make a charge

Very fair assessment except I'd switch Cullen and Brind'Amour.  Nice to see Cam Ward getting acknowledged among the elite goalies and when you see the depth of this team the way Scott Cullen layed it all out, the Canes look really deep.

Lets hope Maurice and the staff can keep the message fresh all season.

this a comment from one of the posters on tsn and this isn't much different then others. "Way too high. This team got to the conference finals last year by default, because they managed to avoid all of the difficult teams. 11th to 13th would have been more appropriate."

I didn't realize that 3rd place devils and 1st place Beanheads weren't the difficult teams. to be honest with you, I think we handed pitt the cup in a gift basket. we might have matched up well with devils and bruins but i don't think the guins would have be so lucky playing either one of them.

I was getting a haircut and saw what I believe was (sorry, can't remember) ESPN Magazine with their annual NHL Preview. They had us picked 7th in the East. Said that we would suffer greatly the loss of one Dennis Seidenberg who was so instrumental in out run to the conference finals last year. They said that A-Ward could not fill this great void. Who knew eh?

Now that's more like it, Hurricanes don't be needing all that TSN respect.

I was getting a haircut and saw what I believe was (sorry, can't remember) ESPN Magazine with their annual NHL Preview. They had us picked 7th in the East. Said that we would suffer greatly the loss of one Dennis Seidenberg who was so instrumental in out run to the conference finals last year. They said that A-Ward could not fill this great void. Who knew eh?

Now that's more like it, Hurricanes don't be needing all that TSN respect.

ok i might get flamed for this but from a play standpoint i was not a big Sieds fan and really can't recall anything substantial he did to get us to the finals, isn't this sorta like saying that leights sitting on the bench and opening the gate at the correct time rocked us to the ECF's??

Like I said on an earlier post you still have to play the game.....I really don't care who slams us or praises us once you get on the ice the "proof is in the pudding".  I personally don't think we will ever get the respect on a regular bases that our team deserves but by now everyone should be use to that.  That should give our team more incentive to prove the skeptics wrong.  I do believe the NHL teams do respect our team and organization and that means more then a few writers who claim that they know it all.  Oh well, just my 02 cents..wink.gif

Can't really say we are not getting respect in the TSN rankings.  Regardless, the small market organizations have to earn respect every year.  I am as excited about this team as I have been in a while.  Canes are about right at 7.