The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

players deliver season tickets

A couple of years back I saw the pens doing this, Syd the kid went to some elderly ladies house that had been a sth for ages.  She showed him a lot of her memorabilia and I think he was floored by how much hockey meant to her.  This is great interaction for both the player as well as the fans.  I know a lot of it is a token gesture by both, but the neat thing is how genuine they seem.  About the other sports, its hard for me to see them doing that, another reason hockey is by far my #1 sport.

Love this!  I agree with the above comment that it's hard to imagine players of other pro sports doing something like this.  Hockey players are so often such genuine guys who just want to play the sport they love.  (Don't even get me started on the NBA players - they're the absolute WORST.  Though the NFL seems to have cornered the market on $*!+*+ bags lately...)  When's the last time you heard about a hockey player carrying a gun into a club in his pants and accidentally shooting himself like Plaxico Burress?  Or climbing into the stands and trying to beat the crap out of a fan like Ron Artest?  Or running dog fighting rings like Vick?  

Sorry, a bit of a tangent there...  But every time I hear another one of these stories, I think how happy I am to be a hockey fan first (baseball second, football third).

When I saw that the Pens did this earlier in the off-season (at least Crosby, not sure about others) I was thinking that it seemed like something the Canes would do - and now they have!  Gives me the warm fuzzies smile.gif

Heck, I loved it when LaRose went with the guy to pick up his daughter at school. Most athletes would have said, "Don't have the time, I got better things to do then ride in the car to pick your daughter at school."

True Class. Glad JR resigned him.