The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

NHL Jump Start

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

TSA wrote:

caniac
-97']when you are trying to promote something particularly out of a lockout you don't bury it on some obscure network. The end result is you really have to go searching on cable/satelite if you want a good hockey game or buy Center Ice. That doesn't endear the sport to the masses.

You do if that was the only broadcasting option you had.  Obscure TV is better than no TV.

Tell that to folks that have DirectTv!!

That wasn't an issue back when they signed on with Versus a few years back.  Versus was supposedly the up and coming new sports channel that was being added to the Direct TV channel line up.   The league didn't have any other options so they opted to take a chance on the new network (OLN) rather than to have no TV coverage.  I'd take that risk too if I was the league and it somewhat worked out for them.  It wasn't as ideal as having ESPN but OLN made great strides in viewership and when they became Verusus, they became part of the regular channel line ups on Dish, DTV and cable.

This beef isn't about Versus or Bettman, its about Comcast vs. DTV.  I would think if the NHL had the chance to sign on reasonably with ESPN to get that national coverage and not have to sell their souls like they did with NBC, they would.   The NHL is unfortunately just caught in the crossfire of a situation they have no control over.

Why would anyone be more excited about a 5 point game? Maybe at the end of the season but at the beginning? The irate fans at the end of the season from 5 point games would far outweight the happy ones in the beginning.

If we missed the playoffs due to that i'd possibly be arrested trying to find whoever gave the okie dokie to this in NHL front office.

Super Dave wrote:

Forget the idea about monkeying with the points awarded for the first couple of games.  Those games aren't worth more than any other games.

But haven't we already missed the playoffs because of the three-point game?  I am not at all for the 5 point game.  I do think the first game should be worth as much as the last.  But I am really annoyed by the fact that we have a system where every game could be worth two or three depending.  I know that there is always a "it'll never happen"contingent about making all games three points but I've never understood why the current plan is more fair.  I haven't seen it make teams play for the win instead of a tie.  It just makes teams play for a tie instead of a loss.  And that is irritating.  The two teams might as well just stand on their respective goal lines and pass the puck back and forth for the last five minutes of a tie game.  Nobody goes for broke; they just shut it down to get the point and go to OT.  Jussi showed what can happen when the motivation is right.  That was exciting hockey.

Sorry to go on a 3-pt game tangent but when comments refuting the OP say things like games should all be worth the same # of points, I get wound up...since they aren't now.

Super Dave wrote:

Forget the idea about monkeying with the points awarded for the first couple of games.  Those games aren't worth more than any other games.

But haven't we already missed the playoffs because of the three-point game?  I am not at all for the 5 point game.  I do think the first game should be worth as much as the last.  But I am really annoyed by the fact that we have a system where every game could be worth two or three depending.  I know that there is always a "it'll never happen"contingent about making all games three points but I've never understood why the current plan is more fair.  I haven't seen it make teams play for the win instead of a tie.  It just makes teams play for a tie instead of a loss.  And that is irritating.  The two teams might as well just stand on their respective goal lines and pass the puck back and forth for the last five minutes of a tie game.  Nobody goes for broke; they just shut it down to get the point and go to OT.  Jussi showed what can happen when the motivation is right.  That was exciting hockey.

Sorry to go on a 3-pt game tangent but when comments refuting the OP say things like games should all be worth the same # of points, I get wound up...since they aren't now.

I with you 100% on the 3 point game thing.  I've posted before that I think if any game is worth 3 points then all should be worth 3.  3 for a victory in regulation or overtime and 2 for a shoot out win and 1 for a shoot out loss.  Maybe extend the overtime from 5 minutes to 8 or 10.  I don't like to see teams playing to get the tie in regulation and secure the point. 

To me, the 5 point thing is crazy.

when you are trying to promote something particularly out of a lockout you don't bury it on some obscure network. The end result is you really have to go searching on cable/satelite if you want a good hockey game or buy Center Ice. That doesn't endear the sport to the masses.
What you're describing is a marketing issue, not a TV package issue - the games are always on the same channel and not hard to find*. Most would agree that the NHL and Canes local marketing has been weak. It took me until sometime in 06-07 to realize there was a RSN that showed the Canes games. Now, I wouldn't have had to look hard to figure it out, but the way to pull in the casual fan and make them regulars, especially outside the Triangle, is to make sure they know they can see the games on TV. That means advertising on other channels that people do watch regularly, as well as many other things, which are way off-topic. smile.gif

* - the exception is the satellite broadcasts, where the RSN games are on different channels all the time - but that is a limitation of the medium, and is not unique to the NHL. Vs games are always on the same channel.

EDIT: and dittos to redheadcaniac and superdave on the 3 point games.