The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Charlotte_Caniac

What's better? NHL '07 by EA Sports or NHL2K7?

I'm really enjoying 07 for my 360. Haven't played 2k7 for the 360. But I have played the last few versions of 2k, and from what I've heard, 2k7 is more of the same: a solid, if unspectacular, game. I've also heard that 07 for xbox & ps2 is crap.

So basically, the way I see it:

xbox 360= get 07

xbox or ps2= get 2k7

Thanks to all. No, I don't have any hockey games for the ps2 right now. Sounds like the consensus is 2k7, as opposed to NHL 2007?

I figured that since the Canes won the Cup last year, it might be time to buy a hockey game, since they might be good! :-)

I cant speak for NHL2K7. But I have 07..I dont like it. The game is set with odd control defaults, meaning. You dont use the tradition Triangle, Circle, Square, X...The analog sticks basically do everything..Skating, passing...Its hard...Very hard. However, you can change the control back just like NHL 06...Thats what I did...and I very quickly got bored with it....and just quit playing...If you dont own a 360, the graphics arent any better than NHL06......

You best bet is not to ask for either game....Get the real deal and get Hurricanes tickets!

Personally I'd go with the PC version of NHL '07 - lots of skins/mods/expansions out there to jazz it up and also make the AI something of an actual challenge to play against.

On considered that, but I feel bad letting my PS2 gather dust... :(

I bought the pc version as soon as it was released and it was full of glitches. Maybe it was just my copy but I'd see if they've released any patches before getting it.

The PC version isn't that great, it's more like NHL 06 1/2. Scoring is easier on the hardest level than it was in 06! I've lost one out of 44 games with the Canes and have six 100 point scorers already. Average score is about 16-6. It's fun, but not realistic at all.

You have to heavily mod the game from sites on the net like doubleminor.net to make it interesting.

I heard the 360 version is great though, and I would love to see it. I wish places like Blockbuster would let you rent 360's for a weekend. I want to see 07 in HD with surround sound on my 50" tv!

I have 07..I dont like it. The game is set with odd control defaults, meaning. You dont use the tradition Triangle, Circle, Square, X...The analog sticks basically do everything..Skating, passing...Its hard...Very hard.

Thats kinda the whole point of the game, to make it harder. They didn't want those zappy robotic controls of the Square Circle and X that a 4 year old could use with his eyes closed. They decided to make it much more realistic and use the analog for most of the controls

I should point out that in my advice to get NHL '07 for the PC I definitely didn't mean to install it in the stock configuration. Go to a site like Double Minor which has an excellent community of artists, programmers, and the like doing the job that EA should be doing to start out with - making the game as realistic as possible while still not shutting out the casual gamer. I came upon Double Minor last year and it made all the difference in me choosing not to resell NHL '06 at a used game shop. Some of the artists, especially the ones who specialize in goalie gear, are just amazing.

I have NHL 07 for the 360. I did not like it at first and even tried to sell it on craigslist. I decided to try it again, and now it is my favorite game. It is the most reaistic sports game that I have played. Last night I played an overtime game that I won 1-0. Each team had about 35 shots on goal. I play a full overtime instead of a shootout. I have been a 2KSports defender until this year.

Ok, NHL06 ps2 gamers, I have a question. I'm trying out the game now and creating a dynasty. Every time I choose "5 minute" periods in the "create new dynasty" section, I get into the the first game of the season, and the period length is 20 minutes! It's driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: This problem is now happening every time I play a game, on "play now" , "exhibition" or anything. Regardless of my choice on period length, it's always 20 minutes.

Ok, NHL06 ps2 gamers, I have a question. I'm trying out the game now and creating a dynasty. Every time I choose "5 minute" periods in the "create new dynasty" section, I get into the the first game of the season, and the period length is 20 minutes! It's driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: This problem is now happening every time I play a game, on "play now" , "exhibition" or anything. Regardless of my choice on period length, it's always 20 minutes.

You have it set to seem like it's 5 minutes long instead of 20.

I got "07 when it came out and I dont like it. I like the skill stick and controller setup of '06.

And yeah, the clock will show 20 min. but will count down faster to make the periods actually last 5 min.

:D

Yeah....the timing in the game is bad. I'll get a 2min penalty and it will last 9 min on the game clock. It's ridiculous, they put much more effort into the xbox 360 version, than they did in the ps2 version.