The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

Cam Ward signs new six-year contract extension!

Great news!

FYI, I deleted your first topic about this so we'd only have one going if you were wondering where it went.  wink.gif

I am absolutely delighted ! I feel sure Cam will continue to develop and will be an elite goalie. And, to me , he will always be WARDO, like his facemask says. (I know A Ward  has more NHL experience, but he left us and came back. Cam didn't.) Besides that, Cam is one of the ones we "raised", like Cole, Staal, and LaRose!  wink.gif

On the video, it sounds like Cam and his wife really love this area, too.  Excellent way to start the season !

I think the amount per year is just about right for Cam.  Looks like he will now be the third highest paid goalie, behind Luongo and Lundkvist.   There's five guys - Ryan Miller, JSG, Kiprusoff, Vokuon, and Backstrom - all right around the same as him or slightly under.

I'm pretty happy with six years too.  Its not one of those ridiculous ten year contracts, but we won't have to sweat Cam leaving two or three years from now either.

Good job JR.

I don't get this, Wardo is only average at best, right?laugh.gif

yep, average at best and now he will average $6mil a year for an average goalie!!  roll.gifroll.gif

This is great news. Maybe now we can all agree to a moratorium on any use of the phrase "average at best" in any post from here forward.

This is great news. Maybe now we can all agree to a moratorium on any use of the phrase "average at best" in any post from here forward.
Just wait until he drops a couple in a row and the natives will get restless.

"Cam can't handle the pressure of the big contract"

"What was J.R. thinking signing him to that big contract"

"It's time to see what Murphy can do"

"Since Cam signed the big contract he is coasting"

and our all time favorite

"Cam's average at best"

I can hear it now.

Money Money Money Moooney!

Well a good signing for Wardo.

Good for the team I think so.

So where does the salary dump come from? Who moves?

Money Money Money Moooney!

Well a good signing for Wardo.

Good for the team I think so.

So where does the salary dump come from? Who moves?

We probably don't sign some veterans and go with Rats, or resign them cheap.

While I'd love a moratorium on that phrase, just cause he got the contract doesn't mean he's worth it. Hopefully he will prove it on the ice.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

remkin']This is great news. Maybe now we can all agree to a moratorium on any use of the phrase "average at best" in any post from here forward.

Just wait until he drops a couple in a row and the natives will get restless.

"Cam can't handle the pressure of the big contract"

"What was J.R. thinking signing him to that big contract"

"It's time to see what Murphy can do"

"Since Cam signed the big contract he is coasting"

and our all time favorite

"Cam's average at best"

I can hear it now.

Well in the words of my son; Wow, Just wow That was the kiss of death.

Well I actually just want the phrase itself abolished. If he starts playing average at best again, then let's figure out a new phrase. The phrase is used if he is playing badly (which has been rare), but if he is playing well then others drag it out sarcastically. It is a phrase that just won't die. It's not that it's a bad phrase, its just average at best. Oh there I did it!

cool02.gif

IMO it's a little too long of a contract. Not so much againt Cam or how he is playing but the length of the contract. 6 years of tieing up 6 mill is a long time. I know it's no where as long as the Islander contract with Di Pietro but the whole injury problem has me worried.I would have rather seen a 4 @ most /3 yr extention.