The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
southernstylehockey

Help me please

The defense against Philly was not the problem. The Canes ran into a super hot goalie against Philly and could not get anyhting past him. The Bruins are a physically overpowering team and if you are not on your game, you will be embarassed. Hoepfully, this will be a game filed under the "lessons leraned" category and the Canes will know they have to come out every nigth with their best to stay in games. Also, the Canes have not been a fast sarting team historically. Their best hockey has been played during the second half of the season. So, wait until January before you panic.

In 07-08 I believe we started with a great record and Mike Maniscalco kept saying we reminded him of the 06 team... and as we all know we missed the playoffs that year. Last year Philly lost their first 9 in a row I think but managed to be ahead of us in the standings.

I am worried as well but it really is too early to freak out. Plus, JR is watching this team and as soon as it becomes evident a change needs to be made he will start working his magic.

We did get our *!@%$ handed to us though. I wish we could have more guys like Walker and Gleason but I doubt Mo will put a pure enforcer on the ice even if we had one. Conboy can handle his own but I doubt we see him at all this year. Not sure why we didnt bring him along as a 7th d-man or something. Would have been helpful last night.

PS I just bought a Cole jersey but after seeing how his knee bent last night I'm not so sure I'll get to wear it much.

Step away from the ledge and listen to yourself, specifically the part where you said "I know it's only two games into the season."  We have never been strong out of the gate including 05-06 when we went 1-2 in our first three.  Give it at least 15 games before you pass judgment.  Personally, I think this is a good wake up call for this team.  No one is going to hand them anything based on last years performance and two teams just proved it to us. 

It's your first post and you're ready to jump off the bridge already?  We won't get to know and abuse you that way.

We've now played 6 games total and most teams in the league played that many preseason.  At this point, I'm ready to say it's growing pains and hope for the best on Tuesday night.  We have the Lighning at home, Panthers at home, and Lightning on the road for our next 3 games.  We could be 3-2 after those games and then have the Penguins for a real test of our ability.  I'm not tempting the hockey gods by saying "should be" I'm saying "could be".

If the Canes host a stinkfest this week at home, you'll have company on the edge of that bridge.

It is just two games. We did have a short preseason comparatively. It is too early to panic. It is not too early to say that this team has not looked very good against two of the best teams in the league. Contrary to just about everyone I think Philly spanked us. Yes, Emery played a solid game and Philly has a very good defense, but they had a ton of near-misses. They had several back door plays there, almost, and a lot of pucks free in front of our net.

Boston. Not a spanking, a beat down. Yes, we looked ok in small spurts but so badly out shot in the first period it was amazing. We lost our fights, we lost our first line winger. We just lost about everything.

This team has been losing proven scorers left and right since the cup year, and while we may not have been putting Cole's potential productivity in the bank, with him out we are going to have some real difficulty scoring goals. First line winger anyone? And Alberts has yet to make me glad that Babchuk is in Russsia. Our special teams are not special yet.

OK, on the other hand. It is two games. We had a short preseason, so the Philly game was rust. Boston showed this team what will happen if the old post-cup lethargy creeps back. Staal came back into an ugly lost-cause effort with 20+ stitches in his ear and immediately played physical. If this team regroups and gets a wake-up from this slap down it could be a turning point. We are going to need to come up with some goals from somewhere though.

I agree that how this team plays over the next 3 games may be telling. It won't hurt to get Pitkanen back either.

To put it in perspective Detroit is also 0-2 out of the gate. I don't think many of us think the Red Wings will miss the playoffs.

But our expectation for this Cane team were high. They clearly haven't clicked. Maybe it is because they had a light preseason or

maybe they just need more time together. The 0-2 doesn't bother me but the anemic power play and on ice performance have been awful.  I just want to see something on the ice the shows me this team has the promise to live up to the hype and our expectations.

I'm not pleased with the start as well, but there's no need to panic now. I think a lot of us were underestimating the Flyers, look at how they did against NJ last night. Best thing to do is keep supporting and cheering. I do however, want better production on the PP, and PK for that matter.

If we are still like this after about 10 games have passed, then we have a problem.

We've now played 6 games total and most teams in the league played that many preseason.  At this point, I'm ready to say it's growing pains and hope for the best on Tuesday night.  We have the Lighning at home, Panthers at home, and Lightning on the road for our next 3 games.  We could be 3-2 after those games and then have the Penguins for a real test of our ability.  I'm not tempting the hockey gods by saying "should be" I'm saying "could be".

If the Canes host a stinkfest this week at home, you'll have company on the edge of that bridge.

A little scary, but that's about word for word what I was thinking. We started out against TB and Florida last year with wins, and look where we ended up after a mediocre Oct/Nov. They will probably have a big game Tuesday, which figures since it is not televised.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. Yea, it has only been two games and against teams with a pretty high billing at that, but sofar I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that we're only talking about some easy fixes or something that will take care of itself in the next few games. Right now our new additions worry me less than the rest of the team because most of the confusion and miscues I have seen sofar don't even involve the new guys but guys who have been playing together for some time. Seems like playing only four pre-season games did very little for the veterans, especially since three of the games were used to get a look at a bunch of hopefuls and newbies.

New defenders don't know each other yet, the only real pairing we have is Corvo/Gleason, everyone else is new to each other. Furthermore, Pitkanen is still recovering from the miniscus surgery...should be back soon. Once Pits gels with Ward, Wallin/Alberts will gel after a bit as a third pairing, and we'll be ok. BTW, shut down defense does not win fights, it wins games. I've seen teams filled with enforcers that fight but can't play, therefore, you end up fighting a bunch, cuz that is all your team can do....

We'll be fine. I'm more worried about how serious Cole's injury is than the first 2 losses. We have a tough game against a building/budding team on Tuesday....should match well, and maybe we can pull out our first win here in game 3.

I'm a pessimist, too... a world class one.  But it two games into the regular season you are questioning the teams brain trust and on the verge of declaring the season over,   you are the champ.  I thought we would start the season 1 - 3,  with our only win against Tampa,  and then we would settle down.  We'll see.

While it was certainly disheartening and deflating to start the season this way after such an exciting post and off season, my logical side is telling me what most everyone else on here is saying. It's just two games (not to mention - one against a league favorite and one against a team who was out for a bloody revenge). There are 80 more. Kind of like baseball... You can be swept in a series and it stings, but it doesn't mean you're a bad team or that you're not playoff contenders.

Starting out 0-2 in trouble in the NFL, but not so much in the NHL.  The first game was a closely played game although it would have been nice to score.  The second game was troubling, but not the end of the world.  Let's see what the next 3 bring.

Starting out 0-2 in trouble in the NFL, but not so much in the NHL.  The first game was a closely played game although it would have been nice to score.  The second game was troubling, but not the end of the world.  Let's see what the next 3 bring.

so did Bob help them with their "stick" work??

Already pressing the panic button 2 games in, that's a first. I believe we got 80 or so games to go, I am not worried. We got some new guys on this team so the chemistry is still developing.

You can believe that Mo. and Co. had these guys back at the Rec Zone on Sunday working on those areas, which were many, to work on them. Take your hand off that panic button, take a seat and relax, these are same Canes who we all thought didn't have a chance to make the playoffs and made that run all the way to ECF.

I am also worried but  i am hopeing it's just growing pains. What has me worried is our PP & PK. Both look terrible. Cullen is having a tough time keep the puck in the zone and we are still passing and passing  & passing around the perimiter. Our PP has been terrible for 3 years now and something needs to change that aspect of the game. I think we are 1/10 and the PK isn't much better. Those are 2 parts that we still have the core guys from the last few seasons on, so there really shouldn't be many pains in that aspect.

Just my opinion

Unfortunetly

80 games still remain but we need to make some improvements in order to live up to the expectations of the GM.  I hope I'm very wrong but age is my biggest concern of this team. I didn't agree with the Aaron Ward signing from the beginning and what I've seen from the first two games it's much worst then I thought. He might be well spoken and articulate but he is completly overated.  I would love to see some younger guys get a chance to crack this lineup if the play of this team continues.

Clearly it is too early to push the panic button. We are still cruising at 30,000 feet, but the plane did just drop a bit, and feeling a bit uneasy is not unreasonable. It is not that we lost, but how.

Still, I have to say that the most comforting thing is this. It is simply not possible that we are this bad. Not even the worst team in the NHL will end up with special team numbers like ours. It is possible that this team struggles to put up points. There are a lot of reasons to think this, but there is no way our PK and PP can stay at these numbers. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that would set records in both departments.

I am betting that we see a major wake up call tonight.

If we don't. Still no panic, but concern starts to mount.

80 games still remain but we need to make some improvements in order to live up to the expectations of the GM.  I hope I'm very wrong but age is my biggest concern of this team. I didn't agree with the Aaron Ward signing from the beginning and what I've seen from the first two games it's much worst then I thought. He might be well spoken and articulate but he is completely overrated.  I would love to see some younger guys get a chance to crack this lineup if the play of this team continues.

we didn't sign Aaron Ward but traded for him and unloaded a similar contract in Eawes(sp).  You don't bring up the younger guys to try on the top 2 lines or top 2 defensive pairings unless  you are pretty much done for the season.  We still got a lot of games to play.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

cjslumber']80 games still remain but we need to make some improvements in order to live up to the expectations of the GM.  I hope I'm very wrong but age is my biggest concern of this team. I didn't agree with the Aaron Ward signing from the beginning and what I've seen from the first two games it's much worst then I thought. He might be well spoken and articulate but he is completely overrated.  I would love to see some younger guys get a chance to crack this lineup if the play of this team continues.

we didn't sign Aaron Ward but traded for him and unloaded a similar contract in Eawes(sp).  You don't bring up the younger guys to try on the top 2 lines or top 2 defensive pairings unless  you are pretty much done for the season.  We still got a lot of games to play.

I think you totally missed my point. You are correct we traded for Ward, no we didn't sign him in free agency.  I just don't see the value on A. Ward at all. He looked like a hero last year because he played with the best defensemen in the league.  If you ask me Alberts has proven that he is the best off season move. 

I never said that my expectation of the younger guys are to play as a top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man.  My point even after we won last night is that we are old and slow. At some point we've got to give some younger guys that we drafted a chance to play a role on this team. I don't think we have made our team any stronger from last year. The team is a year older and a year slower. Just look at the energy Conboy gave the team last night ,he played very few minutes but every time he was on the ice he played like he had something to prove. Again I hope I'm totally wrong but this team doesn't look like a playoff team to me.

There's a rule that I follow that I've found to be pretty solid in situations like these. It's the 15 game rule. Give the team 15 games. If there's no drastic improvement (and it will have to be drastic after the 3 games we've had so far), then you've got the right to ***** and moan any way you'd like. It worked last year, and it's worked on most of the signings/traded players over the last couple years.

So I'm keeping my mouth shut until the 6th of November. By that time, we'll have faced a wide variety of top tier, middle tier and bottom tier teams and it'll be easy to point out where the team needs improvement and where they've done well.

It's been tough though. 3 goals in 3 games doesn't inspire confidence.

I do agree with some of those points Frogg,but the  problem i have with it is how important every point is. We have been so close to being in the playoffs in the past and maybe a couple of adjustments earlier in the year may have been the difference with getting in. I know we have alot of new guys and it may take sometime to gel but we can't just give away those points.With the NHL being so competive every point is pretty much a "HAVE TO HAVE" POINT.