The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Boswick

Music

I don't knock anyone who does like Nickelback, don't get me wrong. Everyone is free to like any band for whatever reasons. But if we're debating about musicianship....Nickelback doesn't amount to much.

Whaler...........don't even make reference to Duane Allman and Nickelback in the same sentence....

Duane Allman - Legend

Nickelback - pop icon

Duane Allman - good guitarist who achieved legend status mainly from dying too young.

Gregg Allman - decent songwriter with a voice that is probably in violation of several stricter noise ordinances.

Dickie Betts - Talented musician who could've been a contender in another band.

But... put them all together and they changed rock and roll. Whether you're a fan or not (and I'm not... not really) you have to give the devil his due.

Nickelback - mainstream pop band that doesn't suck with a couple of catchy hits. Not destined to change the course of rock and roll history.

I think Duane Allman revolutionized the way players play slide guitar though.

Let's not forget he's co-author if not the true author of the famous opening riff to Layla.

I don't knock anyone who does like Nickelback, don't get me wrong. Everyone is free to like any band for whatever reasons. But if we're debating about musicianship....Nickelback doesn't amount to much.

... in your opinion.

Ok...enjoy

[edit]

Please don't think I'm knocking your choice in music. I try not to ever do that, so if it appeared that way I'm sorry about that. If Nickelback wasn't goot at something they wouldn't have a fanbase like yourself. Even though I'm only 24 most of the stuff I listen to is from the Classic Rock era, but when i think of contemporary musicians I think of guys like this guy

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-86...295&q=steve+vai

I think Duane Allman revolutionized the way players play slide guitar though.

Let's not forget he's co-author if not the true author of the famous opening riff to Layla.

Well you could also say that Hendrix revolutionized the way players ... play. He's also credited with putting Marshall amplifiers "on the map". Not to mention destroying any number of Electro-Harmonix effects boxes/pedals through sheer "enthusiasm".

Jimmy Page gets a lot of credit in this area too along with Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck... Oh, and let's not forget Ritchie Blackmore and Jerry Garcia.

In later years we got Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Neil Geraldo, Steve Vai, SRV and (a personal fave of mine) Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

In between was a guy you've probably never heard of: Bill Nelson, the front man for Be Bop Deluxe -- which if you're from the UK might mean something to you. If you're not, then it probably doesn't. For reasons I've never understood BBD never made much of an impact on this side of the pond. And it was only by accident -- or more accurately a friend from England -- that I discovered them back in my teens. By the time I ofund out about them, they were pretty much defunct and Nelson had gone on to other pursuits.

But for my money the best all-around guitartist in modern times is Dave Edmunds. You've heard him, but you probably didn't know it. you've heard his songs covered... but you proabbly didn't know it. But fast or slow, jazz, blues, rockabilly, straight up rock 'n' roll... Dave's da man. He's widely accepted as the progenitor of the "Roots Rock" genre by those who do the accepting. He and Nick Lowe were the driving force behind Rockpile, and Edmunds' resume -- beyond his playing and recording -- includes stints as music director on at least one major motion picture (Stardust with David Essex), producer of several bands (notably the first Foghat album), as well as songwriting credits for movies and television. The most recent "tribute" I've heard was a Country & Western cover of "I knew the Bride (When She Used To Rock 'n' Roll)" which he cowrote with Lowe. I don't know who the covering artist was though (it was playing on the piped in music at Chili's one night when I was having dinner there).

Those two were my biggest influences back in the days when I could still play. Completely different sylistically, and neither was especially famous in the US (though in the UK they achieved something closer to legend status). But they're both musical savants and well worth the effort to find in the secondhand stores or on line (which are the only places you're likely to find them).

You might not go so much for Nelson -- who tended to get a little "techno" before "techno" was even a word -- but I'd just about bet you'd like Edmunds if you consider Duane Allman a guitar hero.

I can't stand Nickelback!! All their songs sound the same and the lead singer has a flat monotone voice that sounds like hell. They're in the same pop-crap category as Maroon 5 and Britney Spears.

Ok...enjoy

[edit]

Please don't think I'm knocking your choice in music. I try not to ever do that, so if it appeared that way I'm sorry about that. If Nickelback wasn't goot at something they wouldn't have a fanbase like yourself. Even though I'm only 24 most of the stuff I listen to is from the Classic Rock era, but when i think of contemporary musicians I think of guys like this guy

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-86...295&q=steve+vai

I know you were kidding. I was just playing along. :)

Edmunds....I'll have to look him up.

Here's a list of guitar heros I idolize.....

Jimmy Page: Probably the man who got me really interested in playing guitar seriously. Innovative in his own way, despite the fact that most of his more famous riffs are renditions of other people's music. Nevertheless Rock n Roll wouldn't look the same with out the attitude of Led Zeppelin.

Eric Clapton: I consider him to be the classiest rock god of them all (although he did technically steal Harrison's wife). His most famous songs are mainly cover songs, be if you hear the originals he really does recreate every song he's ever covered into something extrodinary. I seen him last september and I loved every minute of it. He's a perfect example of of a man who proves hitting the perfect note is sometimes a thousand times better then shredding 50.

Jeff Beck: Very underrecognized, yet a tremendous guitarist. His only flaw is probably also his biggest attribute. He never played the same genre of music for more then one album. It was always hard for him to develop a thick fan base because each new record introduced his listeners to something else...from jazz-rock, to synth-rock, to blues-rock, progressive-rock. The man can really play a variety of styles. Personally I like his rendition of Green Sleeves.

Alvin Lee: Most noteably from Ten Years After. I personally thick he is the most underappreciated guitarist of his time. The man has such a great style of playing the blues and blues-rock. His cover of "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" is probably my favourite cover song of all time by any artist (other then maybe Crossroads by Clapton).

Other honourable mentions are obviously BB King, SRV, Hendrix, Van Halen, T-Bone Walker, Chet Atkins, David Gilmour. I have plenty others. You may want to look into a small budget guitarist named Kraig Kennings. I enjoy his stuff very much so. I also made a thread somewhere on the Off-Topic seciton of this message board with recordings of myself playing. I've only been playing for 3 years but i enjoy every minute of it.

I must apologize, but I too am not the biggest fan of Nickelback. :Oops: Then again, I have rather unique tastes for my age group (21), so that's not saying much.

(I say that 'cuz many 21-ish year-olds in my area are to some degree listeners of Nickelback's stuff)